stay on waitlist at PCOM vs. go all-in on CMSRU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strider144

medical shmedical
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted to Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, and I'm trying to figure out whether to stay on the PCOM waitlist or pull my app.

-I always imagined going to PCOM.
-I know people there, I like people there, I feel like I'm already part of the community there
-it's a good established school
-really easy commute, right next to one of my fave local spot for running and hiking
-I like DO

but

-MDs can be useful
-Cooper is smaller and seems really invested in their students
-great match lists
-cool PBL-hybrid curriculum
-fancy new facility
-CMSRU is doing some really cool work to improve medical care

A lot of these feel really shallow, and I haven't even been accepted to PCOM yet, but I feel like I should make the decision on whether to stay on their waitlist or fully commit myself to CMSRU already. It is an awesome school, and I can definitely imagine myself there. I think that if I got in to both I would probably choose CMSRU, but I still feel a little wistful over PCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you could get into residencies in those specialties going DO. But you may be able to get into a more prestigious/higher ranked residency going MD. Also, you can always stay on the waitlist - maybe they'll accept you and offer you scholarships - I wouldn't close any doors yet. I definitely wouldn't turn down CMSRU before you have another acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't know that you're going to get accepted to PCOM, isn't it a risk to turn down Rowan? Can't you plan on Rowan and decide for sure X number of days before Rowan's orientation?

I recently got accepted to Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, and I'm trying to figure out whether to stay on the PCOM waitlist or pull my app.

-I always imagined going to PCOM.
-I know people there, I like people there, I feel like I'm already part of the community there
-it's a good established school
-really easy commute, right next to one of my fave local spot for running and hiking
-I like DO

but

-MDs can be useful
-Cooper is smaller and seems really invested in their students
-great match lists
-cool PBL-hybrid curriculum
-fancy new facility
-CMSRU is doing some really cool work to improve medical care

A lot of these feel really shallow, and I haven't even been accepted to PCOM yet, but I feel like I should make the decision on whether to stay on their waitlist or fully commit myself to CMSRU already. It is an awesome school, and I can definitely imagine myself there. I think that if I got in to both I would probably choose CMSRU, but I still feel a little wistful over PCOM.

If you don't know that you're going to get accepted to PCOM, isn't it a risk to turn down Rowan? Can't you plan on Rowan and decide for sure X number of days before Rowan's orientation?
It's Cooper (MD program) rather than Rowan (DO program).

I'm absolutely accepting the offer from CMSRU, already put down my deposit on it and everything! It's really just whether to keep taking up space on PCOM's waitlist if I know I'd go to Cooper anyway or whether to stay on the waitlist if I'd actually choose PCOM over CMSRU. Mainly: 1.) I like to have plans and 2.) I don't want to occupy a spot on the PCOM waitlist if I wouldn't accept an offer.

I'm probably just going way too far into my head, but I like to plan for all possible eventualities.

MD, and tuition is similar unless you are in-state. Why would you go to the DO school over MD?

C'mon man

criscarterespn.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
There's no debate here. Take the acceptance at Cooper. It would be very foolish to chose PCOM over Cooper...

Reactions: 1 user