General Admissions & OTCAS Stats for OT school!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ot2211

Reaction score
Hello! I am looking for some friendly advice on what I should do next.

I am currently a graduate of CSUF Fullerton with kinesiology.. my cumm GPA was a 2.8 with OTCAS... 2.96 from CSUF.
My pre-req’s
Medical term- B
Anatomy C in discussion and B in lecture and lab.
Phsyio- B
Biomechanics -B
Life span Pysch - A
Abnormal - A
Experience:
Hippotherapy 30 hours
Hand therapy internship under an Ot 120, now employed as an Ot and PT aide for about a year and a half now. Also pediatric therapy.

I got a call from admissions of San Marcos Saint Augustine and they suggested I retake anatomy and an Into to bio course to get A’s in both. I am just curious if it’s worth it or if I have a chance to get in...

I also took the Gre for verbal 146, Quant 142, essay 3... but I didn’t study very much as I was in phsyio at the same time... I am planning to retake it in January.

Any suggestions on what I should do would be helpful... I am curious if being a PT/OT aide is really any help to get in... I stopped working the semester with phsyio because it was bringing down my grades but next semester if I take anatomy and bio then I’m curious if I’ll get the same grade again if I have to work and take the course..
Applied to some schools in AZ. Still waiting on Stanbridge in Irvine and San Marcos Saint Augustine!

Any advice would be good!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that you do need to do your best to raise your GPA. I suggest retaking some of your pre-req courses and definitely retake the GRE.

Depending on your observation hours and experiences (work,educational,personal) that could make you stand out would improve your chances. However, I think you do need to try to improve in areas as this is a competitive field.

Best of luck to you!

I am currently a graduate of CSUF Fullerton with kinesiology.. my cumm GPA was a 2.8 with OTCAS... 2.96 from CSUF.
My pre-req’s
Medical term- B
Phsyio- B
Biomechanics -B
Life span Pysch - A
Abnormal - A
Experience:
Hippotherapy 30 hours
Hand therapy internship under an Ot 120, now employed as an Ot and PT aide for about a year and a half now. Also pediatric therapy.

I got a call from admissions of San Marcos Saint Augustine and they suggested I retake anatomy and an Into to bio course to get A’s in both. I am just curious if it’s worth it or if I have a chance to get in...

I also took the Gre for verbal 146, Quant 142, essay 3... but I didn’t study very much as I was in phsyio at the same time... I am planning to retake it in January.

Any suggestions on what I should do would be helpful... I am curious if being a PT/OT aide is really any help to get in... I stopped working the semester with phsyio because it was bringing down my grades but next semester if I take anatomy and bio then I’m curious if I’ll get the same grade again if I have to work and take the course..
Applied to some schools in AZ. Still waiting on Stanbridge in Irvine and San Marcos Saint Augustine!

One glaring issue I see that you may have is your writing GRE score. A 3 is pretty iffy.

Members don't see this ad :)

My pre-req’s
Medical term- B
Phsyio- B
Biomechanics -B
Life span Pysch - A
Abnormal - A
Experience:
Hippotherapy 30 hours

Hi Ot2211!

I am in a similar situation as you and my GRE scores are bringing me down. I am retaking it this week but I’m unsure how competitive my scores will be. I was hoping to apply to both Stanbridge and St. Augustine. Have you heard anything back from them? Thank you in advance!!

I agree with the posters above, and I do think it would be worth it to retake Anatomy. That will bring up your GPA and will show schools that you really care about your app. I was in the same boat--I got Cs in anatomy and physiology the first time I took it. I retook them later at a community college and got As, and I had multiple admissions counselors tell me this was extremely helpful to my application. I ended up getting in to my top choice schools! Plus, it is good to have better knowledge of anatomy before taking masters-level anatomy classes.