Starting vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unfortunately, competition for vet places in Aus is only going down... for some stupid reason, uni's think its a grand idea to open more vet schools. We have 7 atm, and another wants to open! :eek: WE HAVE MORE VET SCHOOLS THEN CANADA!!! WITH A POPULATION OF 19 MILLION!!! :mad: At the rate we're going, I'm not going to be able to find a job when I graduate!!!:mad:

Vet schools are cash cows for the uni, milking international students...they are more profitable since they can command a higher school fees than science faculties or arts faculties.

Medicine, Dentistry are also cash cows as well.... MoooOOoooo

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, competition for vet places in Aus is only going down... for some stupid reason, uni's think its a grand idea to open more vet schools. We have 7 atm, and another wants to open! :eek: WE HAVE MORE VET SCHOOLS THEN CANADA!!! WITH A POPULATION OF 19 MILLION!!! :mad: At the rate we're going, I'm not going to be able to find a job when I graduate!!!:mad:

Vet schools are cash cows for the uni, milking international students...they are more profitable since they can command a higher school fees than science faculties or arts faculties.

Medicine, Dentistry are also cash cows as well.... MoooOOoooo

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is though, Murdoch is shrinking its class, and increasing the number of international spots. And its not because of a lack of government funding.

Murdoch is shrinking its class size compared to recent years, yes. But the class size for 4th year right now is 120 (or thereabout). And 2nd and 3rd year are mainly in together at the moment due to the transition and have about 140 students total.

The school is still going to accept about 90 students/semester with 1/3 being international, 1/3 australian, and 1/3 west australian. The increased numbers of students in recent years were only really likely to be due to the restructure and have been complained about by ALL the students

As to other comments in this thread (and it may have been addressed already, I haven't read through the entire thread yet) about international students getting lower grades --> we may have lower grades compared to other US students... but those 'lower grades' (really lower GPA) are in classes that are so far advanced from what the Australian students are being graded on. Our Bio/Chem/Stats/ other potential Pre-reqs are guaranteed to be equivalent to that of Australian students. We just do not have to take TEE's. International students (in general) also tend to have MUCH more practical work in the veterinary field already unlike the vast majority of Australian students.

As to international students paying with their bank accounts... The university receives the same amount of money for every student. I just pay the total amount where Australians pay $2500 and the government pays the rest of the $35k/year. As Laura mentioned I think it is the government determining how many spots are open to international students.

Anyhow yes I think the situation might anger (for instance) American's if the situation was reversed.. and it does kind of happen in the states for 'minority' applicants. Overall however I think much of the anger with that and with this is simply based on misconceptions and half-truths.

As it was mentioned once the program starts there are international (and australian) students at top, bottom, and middle of the class. What I have noticed is that a majority of students who have left the vet program have been Australian students and we are down to about 90 students now from 120 at the beginning. (Granted about 10-15 have left due to personal reasons, the rest have pretty much failed out in the first two years) It's rare that an international student messes up that badly as we have too much money on the line (again a generalization).

on a completely different topic - when north americans apply to murdoch/sydney etc do they need to submit high school scores (SAT ,etc?)

just curious :oops:

SAT's, probably not. Although they might have to submit GRE's to some universities which is a more rigorous test than the SAT. I know Murdoch does not require it (They require transcripts, Letters of recommendation, Personal statement, and CV), but I think Melb does. Been a while since I looked at entrance requirements ;)

Errmm looking back at the full question, I did and usually tell people to send their high school transcripts as well (but no, not the SAT results).

Last edited:
Errmm looking back at the full question, I did and usually tell people to send their high school transcripts as well (but no, not the SAT results).

I loved making that call to my old high school to ask for 15 year old transcripts! Felt just a little ridiculous.

Hi,
I am an international student who was accepted to Sydney and Murdoch. The tuition was insane, with the weak dollar, it was above $325,000 AUD total for tuition and housing. SO I turned it down, hoping that maybe somtime in the future the dollar would get stronger. I just found out that I got into Melbourne.
I was informed by Melbourne that they only accept 12 international students a year into their vet program, so I am not sure why someone said it was 7o International places.
Anyways, can anyone tell me what the difference between Murdoch and Melbourne is, in regards to the intensity of the course? I have a health condition that means I have a low energy level. I spoke with students at Murdoch, and it sounded doable. They said 5 to 6 hours a day plus study time. But Melbourne is 4 years not 5, so I am assuming it is more condensed. Is that true? Can anyone let me know what their experience has been?
Thanks,
-Melody

Hi,
I am an international student who was accepted to Sydney and Murdoch. The tuition was insane, with the weak dollar, it was above $325,000 AUD total for tuition and housing. SO I turned it down, hoping that maybe somtime in the future the dollar would get stronger. I just found out that I got into Melbourne.
I was informed by Melbourne that they only accept 12 international students a year into their vet program, so I am not sure why someone said it was 7o International places.
Anyways, can anyone tell me what the difference between Murdoch and Melbourne is, in regards to the intensity of the course? I have a health condition that means I have a low energy level. I spoke with students at Murdoch, and it sounded doable. They said 5 to 6 hours a day plus study time. But Melbourne is 4 years not 5, so I am assuming it is more condensed. Is that true? Can anyone let me know what their experience has been?
Thanks,
-Melody

12 international places probably refers to the 12 "prevet" places, for school leavers, it is a year of science before proceeding to the 4 year "vet" course
the 70 places refer to those available in the 1st year of the 4 year course

otherwise i don't know much about melbourne, but intensity level at australian vet schools should be quite similar