Starting up a private practice right after residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hijinxx7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Podiatry grads probably have the same difficulties in starting up a private individual/group practice when it comes to managing overhead costs and an influx of patients...

I was wondering if anybody here has (or knows someone who has) been successful at starting up their own private individual or group practice right after residency?

...without the huge patient clientele basis that many pods get from years of working in *someone* elses practice...

Members don't see this ad.

hijinxx7 said:
Podiatry grads probably have the same difficulties in starting up a private individual/group practice when it comes to managing overhead costs and an influx of patients...

I was wondering if anybody here has (or knows someone who has) been successful at starting up their own private individual or group practice right after residency?

...without the huge patient clientele basis that many pods get from years of working in *someone* elses practice...

Well, I cant tell about the success because he hasnt done it yet. But my friend has been out of residency for a year and is currently working as an associate in a group. He loves it and makes great money, but he has always aspired to have his own practice. He took the job so that he could plan and literally build his own practice in the meantime. He has partnered up with an internal med doc friend of his and they are building a clinic with an OR suite on the opposite side of town from where he currently works. So he is not planning on taking any patients with him. He is very confident with what he is doing and I think they will be successful. He was offered partner with the group he is with now but has declined. So we'll see. I guess it comes down to how good you are at business. He is pretty business savy so that has helped him thus far.

The one that I know best pretty much took out a massive loan and purchased an established practice. He is doing well and I think that the key to his success was that he purchased a practice from another DPM who just wanted to move to a different location and wasn't retiring.

Personally I wouldn't go too far in debt. Instead I'd probably work for a meager wage until I had a good down payment.