Starting rotation soon! How to be ready?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not all will be like that. But some are. One of my other friends was complaining because she didn't get lunch so she started taking a granola bar to eat quickly.

My am care ones won't be as crazy for sure. But emergency medicine is ridonk at our school.

your school is fine with not allowing students time to eat? I have been on rotation where the students struggled and would skip lunch but we are all given a lunch break. I always take my lunch

Members don't see this ad.

I would also caution about carrying too many things. Not only because it's not practical but you make you look clumsy.

You are there to learn new things and to start thinking, not pull out your ipad and read the dosing.

I would just carry:

(1) one drug reference
(2) pen
(3) note pad

I wouldn't carry any food or drink. Are you going to eat while you are on rounds? Of course not. When you have free time, just go to your locker and where ever you put your belonging and get a bit to eat.

Ehh, you will never find me without a cup of coffee even on rounds.

Because they brought it up first and I have to get past the front security guys.

LOL, like they'd tell you to go home for not being dressed properly upon entry into the hospital. BTW, don't most hospitals give students ID badges for rotations so they don't have to go through security each time.

your school is fine with not allowing students time to eat? I have been on rotation where the students struggled and would skip lunch but we are all given a lunch break. I always take my lunch

I'm sure people get lunch breaks but not everyday. it depends how many patients, what shape they are in, the attending, etc.

It depends on the rotation. As I said, I ranked the most challenging ones, including that psych rotation my friend did because it's hella cool per everyone that has done it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why?? You want to torture yourself?
YES!!! Some of my preceptors just don't push hard enough and by the end of the rotation i'm dreading going in and I feel like i'm just wasting time.

I realize they don't all have a huge workload and learning etc, but I wish more did...

YES!!! Some of my preceptors just don't push hard enough and by the end of the rotation i'm dreading going in and I feel like i'm just wasting time.

I realize they don't all have a huge workload and learning etc, but I wish more did...

That's also one thing I didn't like about rotation. The workload varies greatly. Some students just have to show up and do 1-2 hour of work and they are done. In addition, the information you learned on rotation is not always practical in a real pharmacy settling.

That's also one thing I didn't like about rotation. The workload varies greatly. Some students just have to show up and do 1-2 hour of work and they are done. In addition, the information you learned on rotation is not always practical in a real pharmacy settling.

Really? How does that work if you are at a practice site? Or do you mean that things you learn on one type of rotation don't apply to a specific setting? :confused:

Last edited:
Well, as soon as the pro version of the surface comes out next weekend, I'm buying it. After spending hours shopping for the perfect tablet (and, yes, I even went to the Apple store :rolleyes: ), I decided it's the right one for me. It even comes with a stylus :D

Our professors keep telling us to create our "professional toolkit" for rotations so I need something I can do that with. Also, I can take notes during patient visits or take notes on rounds.

The thing only weighs 2 pounds.

Really? How does that work if you are at a practice site? Or do you mean that things you learn on one type of rotation don't apply to a specific setting? :confused:

To put it bluntly, because a lot of these positions do not exist outside of academia.

My new transformer tablet is acting up so DH is getting a replacement...I think. I haven't even started to figure out how to use all the features. Did you get the Surface with Windows 8?

Re: coffee - no food in patient care areas in our hospital

Lea - you are going to be one of the most prepared students I "know". Don't worry about it, you'll be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
My new transformer tablet is acting up so DH is getting a replacement...I think. I haven't even started to figure out how to use all the features. Did you get the Surface with Windows 8?

Re: coffee - no food in patient care areas in our hospital

Lea - you are going to be one of the most prepared students I "know". Don't worry about it, you'll be great.

Yep. Windows 8! I love it. Slight learning curve but the interface is sweet :D I wish I could show you. It makes ipad look like child's play.

And thanks for the kind words. I just feel a little scared and intimidated. I feel a bit anxious knowing that in a little over a year from now, I'm going to be flying solo so to speak and responsible for patient lives. It just freaks me out a (lotta) bit. :oops:

Lea is already a unicorn and doesn't even know it :thumbup:

Psshh. I feel like a dummy most days. Seriously. Kinetics is kicking my ass.

I guess growing into your horn is painful. :p

You're on your way too. I can only hope you visit our magical unicorn forest someday. Maybe PGY2? :D It has a great infectious disease watering hole :smuggrin:

Yep. Windows 8! I love it. Slight learning curve but the interface is sweet :D I wish I could show you. It makes ipad look like child's play.

Is there internet connection in the hospital for you to use windows 8?

Psshh. I feel like a dummy most days. Seriously. Kinetics is kicking my ass.

I guess growing into your horn is painful. :p

You're on your way too. I can only hope you visit our magical unicorn forest someday. Maybe PGY2? :D It has a great infectious disease watering hole :smuggrin:

I LOVE our kinetics class, but somehow I bombed our most recent exam. I think I misplaced my horn.

What kind of hospital doesn't have wifi?

What kind of hospital doesn't have order sets? :smuggrin:

Joking...

Plenty don't have internet. It's expensive to set up wifi with ample bandwidth.

Ours has it but it's a 500+ bed teaching hospital on the university campus.

I had to create a mobile hotspot with my phone at one place I visited.

Maybe I was a really good student or had bad rotations because I never brought notes or an iPad.

jesus i can see the press ganey scores dropping like panties during mardi gras

Seriously, if I was a patient at a hospital with no wifi, they would probably strap me down and inject me with lorazepam and haldol to calm me down.

What kind of hospital doesn't have order sets? :smuggrin:

Joking...

Plenty don't have internet. It's expensive to set up wifi with ample bandwidth.

Ours has it but it's a 500+ bed teaching hospital on the university campus.

I had to create a mobile hotspot with my phone at one place I visited.

Actually we do. I didn't really understand what an order set was.

Last edited:
Seriously, if I was a patient at a hospital with no wifi, they would probably strap me down and inject me with lorazepam and haldol to calm me down.

i know you're sortof joking but i recall reading research about withdrawal effects from lack of internet/devices/connectivity.

I can see it now, an order set for acute withdrawal/CIWA protocol with an ICD-10 dx code for internet withdrawal.

i know you're sortof joking but i recall reading research about withdrawal effects from lack of internet/devices/connectivity.

I can see it now, an order set for acute withdrawal/CIWA protocol with an ICD-10 dx code for internet withdrawal.

More boredom than withdrawal IMO. The hell am I supposed to do all day, sleep, eat and watch TV while trying to ignore the other patient in the room?

More boredom than withdrawal IMO. The hell am I supposed to do all day, sleep, eat and watch TV while trying to ignore the other patient in the room?
Clock in, enter your own orders, check out your labs, make interventions if needed, clock out, go back to sleep.

Or do what you said, as that's what probably 80% of Americans do.

Clock in, enter your own orders, check out your labs, make interventions if needed, clock out, go back to sleep.

Or do what you said, as that's what probably 80% of Americans do.

I wouldn't mind the latter if they actually had food in the hospital that tastes like something that was made from scratch to taste good rather than something to provide the essential nutrients. Every day I go in the cafeteria here its like grilled chicken, grilled fish, more fish, salad. Where the **** are the hamburgers, pizza, fried chicken, macaroni?

That and cable TV instead of the usual news programs?

My hospital in SBF has wifi. We have also had EMR and CPOE for 6-7 years.

What kind of hospital doesn't have wifi?

Some may have wifi but very weak signal. In addition, I don't think you are going up impress anyone by pulling out your iPad and looking up the info. Besides, the impressive students have already answered the question before you have a chance to look it up

Some may have wifi but very weak signal. In addition, I don't think you are going up impress anyone by pulling out your iPad and looking up the info. Besides, the impressive students have already answered the question before you have a chance to look it up

Who said anything about pulling out my iPad on rounds? I was talking about needing wifi when I'm a patient in the hospital.

Who said anything about pulling out my iPad on rounds? I was talking about needing wifi when I'm a patient in the hospital.
I've only seen one patient ever do this. He was recovering from an MI, and was working on his laptop since he owned his own business and wanted to keep on top of everything. Everyone else does the tv/sleep/repeat.

I've only seen one patient ever do this. He was recovering from an MI, and was working on his laptop since he owned his own business and wanted to keep on top of everything. Everyone else does the tv/sleep/repeat.

I've seen quite a few. Sitting in bed playing on their laptops on the med/surge floor, oh and when the docs come by.... "Oh doctor, I'm in paaaaaain". Dilaudid 2 mg IV q3h prn pain. MD: "Pain is a subjective measure." Praise the lord!

I'd probably be chilling out playing World of Warcraft all day just like how I did for one week after my ACL reconstruction surgery a couple of years ago.

ipad for every patient! With high hospital bill, why shouldn't every patient get an ipad?

I'd probably be chilling out playing World of Warcraft all day just like how I did for one week after my ACL reconstruction surgery a couple of years ago.

brutal. are you 100%? cadaver?

brutal. are you 100%? cadaver?

Not even 70%, I didn't do therapy as much as I should have because of rotations, recent car accident messed it up more.

It was a patella tendon graft. I'll give therapy another shot and go for surgery when my job is permanent secured, can't do that as a temp.

There's no real way to prepare for rotations. Your schooling has probably prepared you better than you think, and you really just have to go in ready to learn every day. That'll go a lot further than pouring over your notes in the last few weeks before you start rotations.

What's a good way express an interest in a pharmacist position at your rotation site? Should I tell my preceptor when she's doing my evaluation? Inquire about a position during the first week?

What's a good way express an interest in a pharmacist position at your rotation site? Should I tell my preceptor when she's doing my evaluation? Inquire about a position during the first week?

It is always good to show interest because it shows confidence. Even if there's no position, your preceptor may be able to help you land a position at another place.

If there's no RPH position, you can always ask if there's a position or you can volunteer one day a week? sometimes that helps when a position is available.

Is there a sample of the John Hopkins Abx guide? Visited the site but there wasn't a sample.
Usually a rep brings a big stack to the hospital. iirc, I got mine from the Doribax folks.

This thread is very helpful! Thank you so much. I am planning to work my butt off and land a job during rotation. What are some rotation sites where there's more likely to have some openings?