Starting rotation soon! How to be ready?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do you wear to the rotation site...?

Well, for like the amb care rotations. I'd put my shirt/tie/slacks into the bag, come into the hospital dressed in a jeans and a t-shirt and go over to the locker room to change.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone ever had a preceptor who is not a pharmacist? Has an MD or nurse been your preceptor?

Has anyone ever had a preceptor who is not a pharmacist? Has an MD or nurse been your preceptor?

Pretty sure that's not allowed. How can your preceptor NOT be a pharmacist? You aren't learning to be a nurse or a physician. I know you can shadow a nurse/MD for portions of your rotation but they can't be your preceptor.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it is allowed for a physician to be a preceptor or even a nurse. I had a rotation with a nurse/registered dietitian for my TPN rotation as a PGY2. Also I have heard of physician preceptors for things like infectious diseases. You are also learning therapeutics in your rotation too, not just how to be a pharmacist. You need therapeutics to treat your future patients as a pharmacist.

I think this depends on state law, but I know of one rotation where there is not a pharmacist on site and you spend your time with a pediatrician. So it is not unheard of.

Well, for like the amb care rotations. I'd put my shirt/tie/slacks into the bag, come into the hospital dressed in a jeans and a t-shirt and go over to the locker room to change.

That seems like a waste of a few minutes every morning. Every minute is precious.

I think the only P4 rotation I put in 40 hours a week for was my community rotation.

Work MORE than 40 hrs a week? :( I only have ONE community rotation.

I am doing my IPPE at a hospital now....it's a lot more work than I thought...I thought it would be a break from school but HELL NO! :rolleyes:

Can they really make you work more than 8 hours a day while you are on rotation?
My school requires a MINIMUM of 40 hours a week to pass the rotation, we are expected to go above that. We got an hour-long speech from our director of experiential education of how we shouldn't expect our rotations to be M-F 8-5, our preceptors can assign any amount of hours, any time of day including weekends.
At my inpatient rotation I was onsite for around 40-50 hours a week, but then had DI papers, presentations, etc that had to be done at home (we get credit for those hours too). There are still some people in my class who just make up their hours though, so you could get away with it. I have one friend who somehow manages to never spend more than 30 hours a week onsite.
I think it depends on your work ethic, your school and your preceptor...

Professionalism policy at the hospital I did one of my intro rotations at prevented us from doing this. We had to be dressed when entering the building or we were asked to take the day off.

On the subject of hours on rotations, it's going to vary and complaining about 44 hours or something like is a one way ticket to failing. You really think your school is going to reverse a fail grade to passing because you did 1,2, or 3 extra work hours? That's a nice pipe dream.

We just got done with our lectures. Every two tardies equal an unexcused absence and every unexcused absence you get one letter grade deducted from your FINAL grade! Damn. I am sometimes late to my lectures all the time... :oops: gotta change that.

We just got done with our lectures. Every two tardies equal an unexcused absence and every unexcused absence you get one letter grade deducted from your FINAL grade! Damn. I am sometimes late to my lectures all the time... :oops: gotta change that.

You get grades for your rotation? Sucks! Ours is pass/fail.

You get grades for your rotation? Sucks! Ours is pass/fail.

Yeah, my school is the only school I know that gives out grades for rotations. UNC is pass/fail too.

Should I get a smartphone or not...I am still debating.

Yeah, my school is the only school I know that gives out grades for rotations. UNC is pass/fail too.

afaik we do grades for appe while ippe is pass/fail

Don't know any rules about docking your grade for being late/absent, but we haven't really had the big lecture from our experiential director yet. Less than 4 months till rotation now :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've precepted for 5 schools and all but 1 had graded rotations.

. Less than 4 months till rotation now :scared:

I am scared too but yet excited to be done with classes...This is our first week back in school and the work is already pile up! This is going to be the hardest semester we have. I want to SLEEP everytime I think about the work I have to do. :laugh:

Anyone have any other suggestions on what to do to be the best on your rotations? I just finished my hospital IPPE. I did one journal club presentation and one formal case presentation. My preceptor ask some really hard questions on my formal case presentation and I def did not know all the answers to his questions. Besides going back and re-studying ALL MY notes from P1 to P3 how am I suppose to know all this stuff??

Besides going back and re-studying ALL MY notes from P1 to P3 how am I suppose to know all this stuff??

You're not.

You will not be handed the full responsibility of a clinical pharmacist at your rotation. You're there to learn. The preceptors understand that you don't know everything. There are only 2 rotations so far (out of 6) that I did any reading for before the rotation started, probably about 2-3 hours each.

Besides going back and re-studying ALL MY notes from P1 to P3 how am I suppose to know all this stuff??

Like bacillus1 said, you're not. If you knew everything, you wouldn't need to go to rotations.

There are only 2 rotations so far (out of 6) that I did any reading for before the rotation started, probably about 2-3 hours each.
For my inpatient IPPE they broke it up into 1 week blocks for me, so I read up on those topics beforehand just to refresh. Spent a week doing general production, a week of anticoag, a week abx, a week critical care. Granted that's a much smaller scale since it was only IPPE rather than 6 week APPE, it still seemed to be a solid starting point.

Since you guys are all on rotations now and about to finish up. Do you feel ready to be a pharmacist? The thought of becoming one in 2013 is scaring me a bit and I don't feel super confident about it.

Anyone here feel very confident about it and would like to share how they got to that point?

Thanks. :)

I know I didn't feel ready. Better than I did before rotations but still very green. I did feel much better after residency but I am still humbled and learning every single day. Which I love!

Has anyone taken or know someone who had taken a rotation abroad? What was your experience? What country? Did you learn a lot?

My school requires a MINIMUM of 40 hours a week to pass the rotation, we are expected to go above that. We got an hour-long speech from our director of experiential education of how we shouldn't expect our rotations to be M-F 8-5, our preceptors can assign any amount of hours, any time of day including weekends.

My hospital is starting to accept students and we are debating if we can legally have students work more than 40 hours on site? We are in California. Please advise.

I, personally, do not that's fair for the students. They already have plenty of work but the director feels differently

My hospital is starting to accept students and we are debating if we can legally have students work more than 40 hours on site? We are in California. Please advise.

I, personally, do not that's fair for the students. They already have plenty of work but the director feels differently

As a student I had plenty of >40hr/week rotations.

They're not employees, so it's not illegal

My school gives out grades for rotations as well.

And you should get a smartphone, I find it very helpful to be able to look up info on the fly. There are also some apps that may help you, I have one that details immunizations, contraindications, dosing, etc. I find it helpful when needing to reference materials.

Edit: I just realized your post was over a year old and that this thread was necroed.

Professionalism policy at the hospital I did one of my intro rotations at prevented us from doing this. We had to be dressed when entering the building or we were asked to take the day off.

On the subject of hours on rotations, it's going to vary and complaining about 44 hours or something like is a one way ticket to failing. You really think your school is going to reverse a fail grade to passing because you did 1,2, or 3 extra work hours? That's a nice pipe dream.

Are people really gonna wait for you at the front door of the hospital to check to see if you're dressed properly? Other than the first day, I always met my preceptor in the pharmacy. By just throwing on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and leaving the house, I saved a bunch of time in beating the traffic and finding parking. I don't know why, but I HATE driving when I'm wearing a dress shirt + tie + slacks.

Got to the site a good 1/2 hour-hour before the preceptor, went into the locker room/bathroom to change, got some breakfast in the hospital cafeteria, and then went to meet the preceptor.

Are people really gonna wait for you at the front door of the hospital to check to see if you're dressed properly? Other than the first day, I always met my preceptor in the pharmacy. By just throwing on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and leaving the house, I saved a bunch of time in beating the traffic and finding parking. I don't know why, but I HATE driving when I'm wearing a dress shirt + tie + slacks.

Got to the site a good 1/2 hour-hour before the preceptor, went into the locker room/bathroom to change, got some breakfast in the hospital cafeteria, and then went to meet the preceptor.

I remember bringing that up to my preceptor and their response was "wake up earlier and get dressed earlier. no excuses".

It seems like it was only yesterday that I was on rotation. Now, I am precepting pharmacy students. I would say the follow three links are a must especially for acute care, amb care:

National guidelines: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/indexpro.htm

Antimicrobial: http://clinicalpharmacy.ucsf.edu/idmp/guide_home.htm

Study charts: http://myworld.ebay.com/pharmcharts

Do well on your rotation and you may even get a job offer/residency position!
i'm not sure what the draw behind those charts is...it's way too much info and not all of it is important.

OP, this is easy, look at guidelines, look at your old notes, and ask your preceptor what to review. Make sure you're ready to answer questions on the spot and where to look for them. Rotations are what you make of them.

...why did i just comment on a year old thread?

they *can* have greater than 40, but you'll have very unhappy students, especially if they're not actually learning.

if it gets to be too much i'm sure they would discuss it with their program director (at the school) and then things might change.

i'm not sure what the draw behind those charts is...it's way too much info and not all of it is important.

OP, this is easy, look at guidelines, look at your old notes, and ask your preceptor what to review. Make sure you're ready to answer questions on the spot and where to look for them. Rotations are what you make of them.

...why did i just comment on a year old thread?
Are those charts guidelines?

I remember bringing that up to my preceptor and their response was "wake up earlier and get dressed earlier. no excuses".

If you are going to change to scrubs, what is the point of dressing up?

What school is this? I don't see why pharmacy students are require to dress up when everyone else is wearing scrub? That does not make sense at all.

Last edited:
It doesn't hurt to prepare for a rotation, but its not necessary. Its better to be someone who takes the initiative to learn. Its easy to get complacent and get away with doing nothing. Keep a open mind, open yourself to new projects, and try to push yourself and your workload. In a good rotation, you will learn alot just by participating, and having a good amount of homework.

As a preceptor there are 3 general things I hate:

1. Guessing at questions. Don't know it, look it up. Preceptors give students questions mainly because we know that the student doesn't know, and its a polite way of giving you homework, so it doesn't hurt to say "I don't know, but I will have the answer tomorrow".

2. If assigned homework or given a question to answer. You should do it as soon as you can, and tell us what you found out before we come hunting for the answer. Students think that preceptors forget. No we don't (well sometimes we do). I had a student who said that she would do all these wonderful projects and reports, and I would assign her homework questions after a presentation. I don't think she ever did any of them, unless I brought it up again, and asked for it at the end of rotation.

3. Until you pass the Naplex, you are not god's gift to pharmacy. So leave the ego at the door please.

Treat all rotations as a extended interview. Even if the facility is not hiring, it never hurts to get a good recommendation for your resume or CV. I will always pass a student no matter how horrible or good they are. Giving references is a whole different ballgame.

I know plenty of people who got jobs through their rotation. It's like a 6 week job interview. Take it seriously and always be on time. You are there to learn so don't waste other people time.

-

Last edited:
Ok back on topic:

I'm going to purchase a tablet PC prior to rotations. I'm not particularly tech savvy and I need a program in which I can organize notes/guidelines by disease state. I want to be able to pull them up quickly like some do on an ipad. Does anyone have any recommendations outside of purchasing an Apple product?

I ranked some pretty challenging rotations where I will most likely put in 12-16 hour days. I won't know about my last 3 rotations until February.

Also, does anyone use a program for note taking/SOAP notes when talking to a patient? Some say "OneNote". I want to be able to write with a stylus. I could have really used that at the clinic on my IPPE rotation, especially when the patients started rambling all over the place in two languages :p

I don't feel prepared at all for rotation. I'm scared ****less, TBH. I don't want to look like a complete idiot. Several of the pharmacists I've spoken with who have precepted said that students from our school were great. I want to be able to live up to that. :oops:

Ok back on topic:

I'm going to purchase a tablet PC prior to rotations. I'm not particularly tech savvy and I need a program in which I can organize notes/guidelines by disease state. I want to be able to pull them up quickly like some do on an ipad. Does anyone have any recommendations outside of purchasing an Apple product?

I ranked some pretty challenging rotations where I will most likely put in 12-16 hour days. I won't know about my last 3 rotations until February.

Also, does anyone use a program for note taking/SOAP notes when talking to a patient? Some say "OneNote". I want to be able to write with a stylus. I could have really used that at the clinic on my IPPE rotation, especially when the patients started rambling all over the place in two languages :p

I don't feel prepared at all for rotation. I'm scared ****less, TBH. I don't want to look like a complete idiot. Several of the pharmacists I've spoken with who have precepted said that students from our school were great. I want to be able to live up to that. :oops:

No one is prepared for rotations.

Before you do anything, talk to people who have taken the same rotation and ask them how you can prepare and what to expect, then contact your preceptors ask if there's anything they want you to learn before you start

No one is prepared for rotations.

Before you do anything, talk to people who have taken the same rotation and ask them how you can prepare and what to expect, then contact your preceptors ask if there's anything they want you to learn before you start

Any recommendations on software?

Any recommendations on software?

No, I didn't use any software. I am not sure if you need to use one.

Rotation is not too hard. Preceptors have favor drugs. Once I know what my preceptors like, I would study and know everything about those drugs.

Ok back on topic:

I think you're taking your rotations way too seriously. 12-16 hr days for rotations? What are you doing all day??

also you'll be on the go most of the time, a tablet PC may be too bulky unless you get a newer one. I would get an android tablet/ipad and have some pdfs of the major guidelines on there to pull it up real quick.

also no tablet is going to be as fast as a notebook with some paper to jot down notes.

I think you're taking your rotations way too seriously. 12-16 hr days for rotations? What are you doing all day??

also you'll be on the go most of the time, a tablet PC may be too bulky unless you get a newer one. I would get an android tablet/ipad and have some pdfs of the major guidelines on there to pull it up real quick.

also no tablet is going to be as fast as a notebook with some paper to jot down notes.

we are expected to get to the hospital 2 hours before rounds. Usually students stay after a "shift" would be over for projects, looking stuff up, etc. most of Our clinical professors are our preceptors and work at the UMC and meetings with the preceptor regarding patients on your service are required. If you're ED, you get an on-call pager.

My friend had 12-14 hour days on her psych rotation, especially on days she ran group.

Yes, I take them seriously. Maybe I won't have long days on a community rotation but any specialty rotation, the students are having long days.

Maybe I'll go with the android tablet then. Writing notes with the stylus is as fast as taking notes with pen and paper without the bulk of a notepad. I just don't want to have to buy an ipad in addition to a computer. I need a windows computer to be able to run some of my stats programs because of the large data sets. I'm not into Apple products for various reasons....

I know not everyday will be long but I want to optimize. Besides, I need room in my pocket for my phone, my Luna bars, some random vials of stuff, a pen/pencil and an energy drink :D

Last edited:
we are expected to get to the hospital 2 hours before rounds. Usually students stay after a "shift" would be over for projects, looking stuff up, etc. most of Our clinical professors are our preceptors and work at the UMC and meetings with the preceptor regarding patients on your service are required. If you're ED, you get an on-call pager.

My friend had 12-14 hour days on her psych rotation, especially on days she ran group.

Yes, I take them seriously. Maybe I won't have long days on a community rotation but any specialty rotation, the students are having long days.

Maybe I'll go with the android tablet then. Writing notes with the stylus is as fast as taking notes with pen and paper without the bulk of a notepad. I just don't want to have to buy an ipad in addition to a computer. I need a windows computer to be able to run some of my stats programs because of the large data sets. I'm not into Apple products for various reasons....

I know not everyday will be long but I want to optimize. Besides, I need room in my pocket for my phone, my Luna bars, some random vials of stuff, a pen/pencil and an energy drink :D
i want to go to your school...

14 hour a day rotation? That's crazy. I think the most I ever spent on a site is 8 hours. Sure, I had to take some work home once in a while but often, we are given a specific task and once that's done, we get to go home.

I don't see the purpose of spending that much time on site. It's not like you will be seeing patients all day.

I would also caution about carrying too many things. Not only because it's not practical but you make you look clumsy.

You are there to learn new things and to start thinking, not pull out your ipad and read the dosing.

I would just carry:

(1) one drug reference
(2) pen
(3) note pad

I wouldn't carry any food or drink. Are you going to eat while you are on rounds? Of course not. When you have free time, just go to your locker and where ever you put your belonging and get a bit to eat.

14 hour a day rotation? That's crazy. I think the most I ever spent on a site is 8 hours. Sure, I had to take some work home once in a while but often, we are given a specific task and once that's done, we get to go home.

I don't see the purpose of spending that much time on site. It's not like you will be seeing patients all day.

Not all will be like that. But some are. One of my other friends was complaining because she didn't get lunch so she started taking a granola bar to eat quickly.

My am care ones won't be as crazy for sure. But emergency medicine is ridonk at our school.

I would also caution about carrying too many things. Not only because it's not practical but you make you look clumsy.

You are there to learn new things and to start thinking, not pull out your ipad and read the dosing.

I would just carry:

(1) one drug reference
(2) pen
(3) note pad

I wouldn't carry any food or drink. Are you going to eat while you are on rounds? Of course not. When you have free time, just go to your locker and where ever you put your belonging and get a bit to eat.

This is good advice. Thanks. I don't want to look clumsy!!!