Army Starting PGY1 late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience/seen PGY1s start residency a couple months late? It took me a while longer to pass my board exam (did well in the end) and that placed me a couple months behind. I was advised by my military commanders that as long as I was to graduate before December... I should be applying to residencies. As of right now.. I would like to do IM.

Anyone see people enter residency in September (3 months late)?

Should I have this conversation with my top choice during auditions?

The way it is right now... I'm in a tight spot. I will not have my second boards done by application submissions and I only have time for one audition rotation. I'm not trying to get into a really competitive speciality (IM) and I understand my number choice for residency location is also not a top pick... which is good for me! I would just hate to be left out if I can help it. I also wouldn't like to wait to graduate the following year... my school has encouraged my to graduate with my class.

Any advice? There are some posts on this topic in other areas... but not specifically to the military (that I could find).

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone see people enter residency in September (3 months late)?

Should I have this conversation with my top choice during auditions?

yes. typically they are returning GMOs though.

yes. not just your top choice but anywhere you may be applying. trust me, they know these things anyway, being open and honest is your best option. don't compound one red flag with more.

my best advice is don't let this turn into a pattern. a singular data point can be just that. but if this recurs (poor inservice, failed boards, failed PT tests, etc) your career-- no matter how long-- is going to be more difficult. you don't really want to stand out-- either as being dr. awesome or being dr. douchebag. just be normal.

--your friendly neighborhood herd immunity caveman

Happens periodically for interns. Everyone knows that the reason is academic problems in med school. That, coupled with the fact that your fellow interns will have their feet under then while you're still a noob can lead to a rough year. Can be hard to overcome that first impression. If you can get there in time somehow, you should.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Happens periodically for interns. Everyone knows that the reason is academic problems in med school. That, coupled with the fact that your fellow interns will have their feet under then while you're still a noob can lead to a rough year. Can be hard to overcome that first impression. If you can get there in time somehow, you should.
It's not quite that obvious in the military. We had half a dozen Interns show up late because they couldn't/didn't do officer training in time. So unlike the civilian world there's at least another possible excuse.