starting dental school later in life and completing pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently 26 years old and have a Bachelors degree in Business from Trinity in Dublin, Ireland. (My wife is American and I have a green card). I've been working in Business but have decided on a career change and would like to go to dental school.

I need to complete the pre-requisites and was hoping for some advice.

Seeing as I only need to complete the necessary classes to apply where would be my best bet for completing these? We are in California and I could attend a California State school however are you able to enroll and only take the pre-reqs needed- or would I need to sign up to complete a degree?

Also going to school full time about how long would it take to complete the pre-reqs needed? I was hoping to complete them in 1 year- would this be possible? I understand it would be an intense year but i'm confident I can do it.

What would be the best plan for me in this situation? Do I have less of a chance of getting in to dental school seeing as I will be older then the average starter? I'm hoping if I can do the pre-reqs in one year then I could possibly be starting dental school in 2010- I would be 28.

I'm at a loss for where to begin getting information- are there any pre-dental type advisors that I could contact that help people in this sort of situation?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation. And I thought I should finish pre-req as soon as possible. Because I was rushing things I did badly in some of the pre-req like Bio, and G.Chem 1.
Those are really difficult subjects to jump into if you don't have science background, which I had none. My suggestion to you is to try a couple of classes see how you do and then to take more classes. You have to remember that getting good grades is much more important than getting pre-reqs done fast. It take twice as much time to fix one bad grade later.
About getting a degree, it really depends what kind of school you go to. But you already have a degree so I don't see why you should get a second degree.
Contact few schools in your area see if there is a pre-med or pre-health advisor. Big schools might have pre-dent advisor but most schools will have a advisor for health related field(nursing, pre-med, pre-dent, etc)
I know you feel that time is running out on you and it seems so helpless at times but once you get going, you wouldn't have time to worry about that. Make sure you know what you are getting into as far as studying and time management, stress management is concerned.

Best of luck to you.

Hello,

I'm currently 26 years old and have a Bachelors degree in Business from Trinity in Dublin, Ireland. (My wife is American and I have a green card). I've been working in Business but have decided on a career change and would like to go to dental school.

I need to complete the pre-requisites and was hoping for some advice.

Seeing as I only need to complete the necessary classes to apply where would be my best bet for completing these? We are in California and I could attend a California State school however are you able to enroll and only take the pre-reqs needed- or would I need to sign up to complete a degree?

Also going to school full time about how long would it take to complete the pre-reqs needed? I was hoping to complete them in 1 year- would this be possible? I understand it would be an intense year but i'm confident I can do it.

What would be the best plan for me in this situation? Do I have less of a chance of getting in to dental school seeing as I will be older then the average starter? I'm hoping if I can do the pre-reqs in one year then I could possibly be starting dental school in 2010- I would be 28.

I'm at a loss for where to begin getting information- are there any pre-dental type advisors that I could contact that help people in this sort of situation?

Thanks!

don't rush it. when you get bad grades it takes 2-3 times longer just trying to fix them. also, imho, taking all the pre-reqs in 1 year is IMPOSSIBLE. Think about it: 1 year bio + lab, 1 year gen chem + lab, 1 year ochem + lab, 1 year physics + lab (you probably have math + english done already)...and there is no way you can do all that in 1 year times. best would be two years time. just try to get good grades (A's and some B's). also you need to take the DAT (Dental Admission Test) and I would recommend scoring 20+ across the boards. So 1 years time is too short...

best of luck to you

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, it's not just grades that may suffer due to rushing through pre-reqs... all of the material you'll learn in pre-reqs is covered on the DAT, and it is MUCH easier to study for it with the necessary background. IIf I've learned one thing throughout this whole process, it's that things can, and will happen that might change your plans. If you really want to be a dentist, you have to learn to roll with the punches and keep moving forward.

For example, I graduated college in 2004, started taking pre-reqs in January 2006 with plans on completing them in one year. Well, taking Chem 2 and Bio 2 in one semester in the summer was not a walk in the park, and I ended up having to drop Chem 2 and take it in the fall instead. I couldn't start Orgo 1 without Chem 2 completed, so I had to push that as well. I also took the DAT before taking Orgo 2, and did poorly and did not get into any schools last year. I'm re-taking this year and re-applying... and I'm not too worried about timing b/c I'll either be a 30 year old dentist or a 31 year old dentist when I start. It's really not a big deal in the scheme of things. That being said, my advice to you is to start light, with Bio 1 and Chem 1 in one semester, and see how you do. You'll likely be able to enter dental school in 2011 without any trouble, and that's only a year's difference of when you want to start. Personally I think rushing to apply next summer without having anything completed is going to be too stressful, but that's just me.

Hope this helps.. PM me with questions... I just went through the whole post-bacc pre-req thing, and survived :)

Good luck!

I was in a similar situation, but a little older (28). I don't think it is that hard to do all the pre-reqs in one year if you are committed to making it your only priority. I started by taking Gen. Chem I and II over the summer. I then took Orgo I, Bio I, and Physics I in the fall and Orgo II, Physics II, and Bio II in the spring. It wasn't easy (looking back after first year of dental school, it sure seems that way though), but I was able to get an A in all of them. I didn't take college seriously my first time around and when I came back and paid attention and did the work, I didn't think it was all that hard.

I was in a real hurry and took the DAT in January without Orgo II and Bio II. I was able to pull off a 20 AA, but I'm not sure I would recommend doing it. However, it was really nice starting dental school that fall instead of wating around another year.

I agree with the previous guy. I think you could do it if you take classes year round. I did, I worked my TAIL off, but I got all As. It's not impossible, but it is a lot of work. Your real problem is in the timing of the application. If you start taking classes now, you probably won't have the background in the material to take the DAT until it is too late in the application cycle this year which puts you applying next year. You want to be sure you do well on that test. I wouldn't worry too much about not having all your prereqs done when you apply - I didn't have a over whole semester of prereqs done (although I went ahead with the DAT), but then again, I did only get into one school. I think you have to know what you can handle, and it does make a difference that you are older. I would say go for it! Worst thing that can happen is that you don't get in anywhere and you have to apply again, and then you are no worse off than if you hadn't applied at all!

Go for it man. I was 29 when I decided to do dentistry. I enrolled at my state university to knock out the science prereqs - basically lived in the library for a year - and pulled a 3.9 gpa.

I applied late the first year and didn't get in anywhere. This year I had five offers and I start at Penn in August.

Summer Term 1:
General Chemistry I and lab
Anatomy & Physiology

Summer Term 2:
Organic Chemistry 1 & Lab
Physics I

Fall Semester:
Organic Chemistry II & Lab
Physics II
Zoology 160 (Basic Bio)

Winter Semester:
Biochemistry
General Chemistry 2
Physiology
Scuba (why not?)

It seems like I'm in the same boat.. I am taking Bio I/II and Org. Chem I/II this summer and plan to take other recommended courses in fall/spring semester. BTW, I started reviewing G. Chem and planning to take DAT after my summer sessions are over. I am hoping that most of materials are covered during summer school for DAT. Am I pushing my self if I am planning on taking the DAT at the end of August or beginning of September?
Thanks

I'm 30 and decided last February to go for Dental School. I took Intro to Gen. Chem at Santa Monica college at night while I worked just test the waters and see if I could handle being back in school and taking a science class. I did well, quit work and took Bio and Gen Chem1 last summer at Moorpark College. I got another job and took Gen Chem 2 at night in the Fall at SMC. I once again quit my job in January and took BioChem at night through UCLA extension and Bio and OChem 1 at CSUN. I'm applying now! Taking the a Kaplan course for the next month and then taking the DAT the end of June. I'll be taking OChem 2 at CSUN over the summer and I'm planning on taking both semesters of Physics at SMC in the Fall.

If I didn't work last year, I'm sure I could have finished all the classes by now. I think if you really set your mind to it you can accomplish the pre-reqs in a pretty quick amount of time.

Also - anyone with a high school diploma can take classes at an LA Community College and I entered CSUN as a Post-Bac Graduate and I am only taking the classes I need. Having a degree from another country might require you to fill out a few more forms, but other than that you should be fine.

If you don't have to work, I recommend going full time at a State School and just busting out all the work.

Good Luck!

Which schools did those pre-req's meet? I'm looking at the University of the Pacific and Oregon Health & Science University and they have roughly 18 quarters/12 semesters of pre-req's needed. That seems like a lot, is that the norm? I am in the same boat as a few of you (above) are/were. I'm hoping to complete my pre-requisites in as little time as possible, but it seems unlikely that you could take ~20 classes in 12 months.

I was non-trad. I had a BA with no science background. I rushed it, including taking the full organic sequence in the summer I applied to D-school. It was more challenging than I expected, but it couldn't have worked out better for me, I got into my top choice. If you are up for it, I reccomend rushing it so you don't get sidetracked and lose focus. This is a very long path you are going down, so you should get going if it's what you want to do.:thumbup:

just adding to the list of non trads who did all the pre reqs in a year w/o any science background. If youre up for the challenge and can fully dedicate yourself to school again then its not that bad. Also, I think it shows the adcoms that you can handle a heavy science courseload. good luck

I'm a non-trad as well, about to start my pre-req's this June. I'm having trouble making sure I can take all of the respective classes one after another, without first needing to complete a course as a pre-requisite before that's possible. Did you guys run into any scheduling issues when trying to take off them in a year? I may have to bounce back and forth between a local community college and a university to make sure that I can get them done. Some courses are only offered in the Fall, and I don't have the required pre-reqs for that course yet. (I think i'm talking in circles).

Also, how many pre-req courses were required for you guys? As I mentioned above, UofPacific as roughly 18 courses required.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too belong here. I am few months away from 25 and I want to apply next cycle to get in for 2010. I already have a bachelors so I just need all the science pre-reqs. I just started Gen CHM 1 & Lab and Phy I & Lab for Summer A. Feel good about it so far. Summer B its going to be Gen Chm 2 & Lab and Phy 2 & Lab. I am on that one year track also and this fall it will be Bio I and Orgo I then Spring will be Bio 2 and Orgo 2 with required labs of course. One thing I must admit though.... The summer thing is very CRAZY. I am in class from 9 to 5 then doing hw, labs, and studying from 5 to 1.

I believe if you really want to get it done you can but only dedication and smarts will get you across in time with a high GPA. If it is too much then don't do it.

Good Luck.

I'm a non-trad as well, about to start my pre-req's this June. I'm having trouble making sure I can take all of the respective classes one after another, without first needing to complete a course as a pre-requisite before that's possible. Did you guys run into any scheduling issues when trying to take off them in a year? I may have to bounce back and forth between a local community college and a university to make sure that I can get them done. Some courses are only offered in the Fall, and I don't have the required pre-reqs for that course yet. (I think i'm talking in circles).

Also, how many pre-req courses were required for you guys? As I mentioned above, UofPacific as roughly 18 courses required.
I mapped out my schedule from now all the way through the time I martriculate. I will have the minimum requirements to apply to D-school and take the DATs at the end of spring. Then I will be taking just those extra courses that are required.

I figured the most important classes to take are Gen CHM 1 & 2 (as it leads to Orgo) and Bio 1 & 2 (which leads to everything else like Microbio, A&P, etc).

Hope that helps

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I thought I should post an update since I've been doing a lot of research since my original post.
I've been speaking to the pre-dental advisor at my state university and I will be able to start taking the pre-reqs in Jan 09. I'll be talking to him this week to determine which courses I should start taking and when so I will post those here as soon as I find out.
The only problem it looks like I will run into is that as a new student at the state school I'm last in line to register for courses, and the advisor said I will have a very difficult time getting into the courses I need. So i'm looking into doing the first semester of science courses at a community college while taking a couple of the general pre-reqs I need (I need a psych and english course) at the state school as i should at least (hopefully) be able to get into those.
I was thinking if you guys don't mind would you post your schedules for completing your pre-reqs and also at what point you took (or are planning to take) the DAT's and apply? I think this might be really helpful for a lot of people to see.
My main concern is completing the necessary courses I need before taking the DAT's and applying in 2010.
Also what did a lot of you guys do after you applied for dental schools? Did most of you have more pre-reqs to complete? Or did you get a job and wait to hear from schools?

I believe your dedication and how easily you can grasp concepts will determine your schedule.

If I were in your shoes I would take...

Spr 09 Bio I, Chm I, and Physics I
Summer 1 09 Bio II
Summer 2 09 Chm II
Fall 09 Orgo I, Physics II, Microbiology
Spr 10 Orgo II, (any required sciences for the D-Schools you plan on applying to)
*Take DAT sometime in Summer 2010*
Summer 2010, Fall 2010, Spr 2011 (any required sciences for the D-Schools you plan on applying to)

You also have to take corresponding labs but you'll figure that out.
This is how I would do it.

I am a career changer, worked in industry for a few years and decided to go dental. I did the minimum pre-req while I was an undergrad so didn't have to do more school, but studying for DAT took a lot of diligence. I will start d-school this fall. I believe it's worthwhile. Press on! You people are amazing.

I returned to school 4 years ago and completed my bio degree in 3 years, owing to the fact I had some transferrable credits.

Unless you really wanted to bust your arse, I would suggest you give yourself two years to complete the prereqs.

year 1: biology core and gen chem, maybe physics if you are feeling confident in your science abilities. All of those classes are lab-heavy, so you'll be very busy all week. If you don't take physics, take microbiology.

year 2: o-chem and physics if you haven't done it yet. take biochem (2 quarters needed for LLU and possibly others). Anatomy is also a good course.

best of luck. my personal opinion is that you should give yourself two good years.

I applied late the first year and didn't get in anywhere. This year I had five offers and I start at Penn in August.
I am in very late 20s as well.. How late is too late? I am a first-time applicant. Just registered for DAT, may be in August. So is september too late? I know that the timeline for dental school is earlier than pharmacy school. How much sooner?
My overall GPA is around 3.6 with Bachelor with all pre-requisite completed. I have experience in taking PCAT but I think I won't be ready for DAT until August. The Perceptual ability section is very scary.

I'm 38. I want to begin my pre-req's in Spring 09'! I need to know if i'm trying too late in life....I work full time and have a 10 year old son, that I've been raising, pushing my education to the side. Am I nuts?:oops:

I'm 38. I want to begin my pre-req's in Spring 09'! I need to know if i'm trying too late in life....I work full time and have a 10 year old son, that I've been raising, pushing my education to the side. Am I nuts?:oops:

I'm 31. It's never too late. In fact, I'm enjoying my education much more this time around.

You are making me feel young. I'm 35 and about to start dental school.

i've accumulated some where around 60 credits from community college, sticking fairly to general req's, but I've made mistakes and caused my GPA to go down. 2.5 is there a way to get the GPA up? I didn't follow the withdrawl procedures a few times. But I'm really needing to know if I'm up for the challenge of all the science & math pre-reqs. I'll have to work full-time to support my son and I, and find time to study.....I also think I should just finish my bachelor's degree in another disipline and forget all the schooling...:(

I returned to school 4 years ago and completed my bio degree in 3 years, owing to the fact I had some transferrable credits.

best of luck. my personal opinion is that you should give yourself two good years.

Lemoncurry, how in the WORLD did you get a 28 on QR?

Follow your heart. I will turn 40 just 10 days before I start dental school this fall. Family and all, its been worth the sacrifices. In fact, my son's grade improved when I went back to school. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I am also 38 years old, working full time and raising my 16 yr old son. It's never too late to do what will make you happy in life! If all goes as planned I will be applying for admission in 2010...People are always going to think your nuts for following your dreams so I wouldn't worry about it! By the way, I'm super excited to see that there's lots more of you "older" nontrad predents out there. Good luck to all!!!!!!

Lemoncurry, how in the WORLD did you get a 28 on QR?
Well, frankly, i've always been pretty good at math, but the icing on the cake was that I was working as a math tutor during the summer that I took the DAT, and the material was college level algebra or lower. The QR section just so happened to feature many of those types of problems, so the material was fresh in my mind.

Well, frankly, i've always been pretty good at math, but the icing on the cake was that I was working as a math tutor during the summer that I took the DAT, and the material was college level algebra or lower. The QR section just so happened to feature many of those types of problems, so the material was fresh in my mind.

Props to you man........ that is off the hook...... I thought my 20 was good but man 28 is near perfect.

You are making me feel young. I'm 35 and about to start dental school.

And I thought I was kinda old to start Dental School (24). Blankguy you make me feel much better :)

I took the prereqs the slow route by trying to work classes around my job and I regret doing it that way.

It ended up taking 3 years from the time I decided I wanted to go to dental school to the point where I was starting school.

I would recommend to anyone to take a faster route if possible. Also, remember that the dental school application cycle starts 1 year before you actually start school, but you don't need all of the prereqs to be done by then.

I would recommend taking Bio 1 and 2, Gen Chem 1 and 2, and O-chem 1 and 2 as soon as possible and then taking the DAT soon after finishing them. You may even be able to take the DAT without having taken O-chem 2. You can take the rest of the classes over the year between submitting your application and starting school.

Trinity, nice! Got heckled for trying to get out on the grass for a photo last summer; the garda (maybe just a security guy, don't remember) thought it was funny, though. Went over last summer to spend 2 weeks crawling through pubs in celebration of completing the DAT.

I didn't have a single prereq and started Summer of 2006 at age 28. After two full summers and one full year (fall-spring) of classes, I had everything done expect for biochemistry, and that included classes like anatomy/physiology that not all schools require. Took the DAT with everything done except O-chem 2 (and biochem), and didn't have a problem. The classes help you prepare for the DAT, so you don't really have to study as much as someone who hasn't taken bio1 in 3 years. I have a wife and child, too, so I had to balance family/school/study but it was really no problem. You get in a nice groove, actually.

Good luck!

How do you suggest doing pre-req's around work? There isn't an easy way to take them really.

You just have to put up with stupid comments from your alma mater when you request transcripts. "You are still sending out transcripts!":mad:

Yes, you are nuts! But so am I! I am 35 with a graduate degree and a full time job (thankfully I had all the pre-reqs in college). All of us non-trad, old guys and gals are going to be 40 one day, but better be a happy 40-year-old than not! :)

Good luck to every one!

Yes, you are nuts! But so am I! I am 35 with a graduate degree and a full time job (thankfully I had all the pre-reqs in college). All of us non-trad, old guys and gals are going to be 40 one day, but better be a happy 40-year-old than not! :)

Good luck to every one!

Life 2.0, we know better on how to avoid midlife crises es. :thumbup:
I wish everybody the best of luck. Nontrads take dental schools much more seriously than the younger traditional crowd who sometimes prefer to hangout instead of hitting the books.

Rah, Rah, for being in your late thirties! I am also 38...and starting to look at dentistry as second career. Feel a bit shy telling people this, especially when others are saying 25-28 is "late in life". Egads! Let's give each other support!

I thought being 29 made me old. This thread makes me feel so young!

How do you suggest doing pre-req's around work? There isn't an easy way to take them really.

There isn't an easy way about it because it never meant to be easy. I would suggest quit work, be a full time student and earn "A"s, live on loans. You will save money by getting into a good and cheap state school on your first try.

There isn't an easy way about it because it never meant to be easy. I would suggest quit work, be a full time student and earn "A"s, live on loans. You will save money by getting into a good and cheap state school on your first try.

Not everybody has the luxury to quit work like that. Part time work with part time study will do unless the GPA needs some remedying.

Not everybody has the luxury to quit work like that. Part time work with part time study will do unless the GPA needs some remedying.

Don't forget to account for the earnings potential if one can be a full time student and obtain the dental degree earlier which is really sweet.

Don't forget to account for the earnings potential if one can be a full time student and obtain the dental degree earlier which is really sweet.

True but if you are a nontrad it is pointless to worry about that. What is done is done. Nontrads may not have the time horizon of younger people but are far more mature in general than the traditional students. :thumbup:

Hey, I belong in this club! Wassup everyone!

I'll be 28 by mid summer, reapplying to d-school this cycle. Do you think that by being older non-trads, ad-coms look at us more favorably?

I don't see why not. It depends of what your other credentials are like. Obviously if you have weak grades and DAT scores this won't save you.

Does anyone know of an accredited accelerated (science core) Pre-dent/med program for non traditional or returning adult continuing ed students who may have to work full time or have other professional or family obligations?

I was in a similar situation when I returned to school after completing my first BS in business and working for almost 2 years. I like you wanted to get the pre-req done as quickly as possible but found out that this was more difficult and time consuming than I thought it was going to be and I have ended up taking all the courses required for an additional BS in biological sciences. As it may be possible to finish in a year it might kill you. Many schools require that the pre-reqs be taken within the past 5 years so retaking gen bio/gen chem/gen physics/english/math might be required depending on your back ground and d-school of interest. youll have to take gen bio, gen chem, gen physics with their repective labs and calculus, english in the fall and spring and then finish off both semesters of o chem in the summer sessions. Also many schools require additional courses and those vary depending on the school so do your research. Most schools out there also have a recommended course list that are actually highly recommended and should be taken.

I too belong here. I am few months away from 25 and I want to apply next cycle to get in for 2010. I already have a bachelors so I just need all the science pre-reqs. I just started Gen CHM 1 & Lab and Phy I & Lab for Summer A. Feel good about it so far. Summer B its going to be Gen Chm 2 & Lab and Phy 2 & Lab. I am on that one year track also and this fall it will be Bio I and Orgo I then Spring will be Bio 2 and Orgo 2 with required labs of course. One thing I must admit though.... The summer thing is very CRAZY. I am in class from 9 to 5 then doing hw, labs, and studying from 5 to 1.

I believe if you really want to get it done you can but only dedication and smarts will get you across in time with a high GPA. If it is too much then don't do it.

Good Luck.
Hello,

I'm in the same position that you were in when you made this post last year! I'll be 25 this Sept. My goal is to apply for dental school for Fall 2010. I need to complete all of the pre-reqs and take the DAT. I also work full time. Do you think I should wait and apply for fall 2011?

Hello,

I'm in the same position that you were in when you made this post last year! I'll be 25 this Sept. My goal is to apply for dental school for Fall 2010. I need to complete all of the pre-reqs and take the DAT. I also work full time. Do you think I should wait and apply for fall 2011?

Hey that's cool! I decided to quit my full time job in order to get this done. It all depends on how many classes you have completed already. The cycle for 2010 opens up this May. I will have completed 1 year of Bio, Chem, OChem, and Physics by then.

These are the minimum requirements. I have heard that you don't have to have all the requirements by the time you apply but by the time you martriulate into Dental School. Although completing successfully completing more courses by the application period looks better.

Only you know if you will be ready to apply this May. A full time job can make it difficult though. Also, I heard from a few adcoms that they prefer to see a full course load while taking classes but everyones situation is different. Contact the Pre-Dent advisor at your school or even better if there are any Dental schools near you talk to them.

Follow your heart. I will turn 40 just 10 days before I start dental school this fall. Family and all, its been worth the sacrifices. In fact, my son's grade improved when I went back to school. Good luck!
Hi! It's 2024 and here I am, reading posts from years ago of non-trad applicants like me aspiring to become a dentist one day. I'm on a similar situation in that I will be in dental school in my 40's (hoping it'll be next year though). I'm just curious how it went for you. Are you a dentist now? What are the pros and cons you've experienced before, during, and after dental school because of being non-trad? I really hope you still check SDN and see this reply. Anyway, I hope all went well for you.