Starting at UCD in Fall 2004...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Badkarma25

UCD Med Class of 2008
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup everyone....just enjoying the summer in Southern Ontario and checking to see how many people are starting med at ucd this fall........let us know where you're from and where you've been....you'll have a blast that's for sure....first year was great, can't wait to get back!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I'm off to UCD in September. I'm from Toronto and I went to MAC and UWO (2 undergrads). I've lived in Dublin before and I love it there. I can't wait til school starts! (I'm such a nerd!)

Any advice on what to expect, bring, see, do when school starts?

:luck:

hey sluequee, i went to mac and uwo as well....well i have 2 undergrads from mac and i did a year at western...when were you at mac and what did you do? pm me if you want...

as for all you people who are going to ireland and what to bring...i didn't bring any transformers or adapters with me at all, only the small plug adapters that you can get at radio shack for a couple bucks.......most modern devices have converters built into their adapters, like laptops, palm pilots etc.....

my understanding is that the only things that require transformers or converters are things like curling irons, hair driers etc.....you can check your adapters and make sure they are rated for 240V.....

you will need plug adapters just to plug these devices in, but again, those are cheap and available at radio shack etc.....

i am at work right now so i can't type too much.....post any specific questions you have about what to bring etc and i will give this some thought about stuff that i brought that i found useful and things that i wished i had with me and let you all know....

Members don't see this ad :)
bring as little as possible. Don't need your entire wardrobe! You accumulate so fast, you don't know where you got it all from. Converters....some things do need converters, like my digital camera dock (I have a kodak) and my minidisc player cradle. Other things don't. Bring things that you might use often. Dublin is EXPENSIVE, and maybe bring little things you might miss - Mac N Cheese, reeces pieces, whatever. Just pack as light as possible. Don't think you need to bring over books. Somehow, you're going to have to bring your life in 2 70 lb or less suitcases. Oh, raingear...yes, you'll need rain gear so bring over waterproofs if you've got any.

You have plenty of time here. You'll probably see more than you ever wanted to... :)

Hi Badkarma!

I had a couple of questions to ask about the application process and had a couple concerns about the gpa since my situation is close to what yours was back a year ago. I tried sending you an email.Id like to discuss a couple of things with you so drop me an email at [email protected].

thanks

Hi!

Badkarma - I was at Mac from '95-99 and did a HBSc in Comp Sci and a minor in Bio. Then went to UWO from '01-this year where I did a BA in Psych. That's funny that we went to the same schools!

I had a question about exams - are there exams at Christmas, and is there a general rule for when the med exams are over or is it random every year? I wanted to book my ticket to come home at Christmas but I'm not sure about exams.

Also, I know UCC does some kind of used book sale where the upper year meds sell their books, does UCD have anything similar? Or any advice on the best place to get books when we get there?

Thanks for all your help!

:luck:

hey sluequee,

with regard to your exam questions, i'd hold off on booking a ticket or book it for late in december......i had a one way ticket to go to dublin last september....i got my ticket to go home at christmas in dublin but it's SO hard to get a straight answer out of the faculty...i remember asking the faculty office in september when we'd be done at christmas, and a secretary told me something like "don't book a ticket home BEFORE dec. 20" and i was like "are you nuts?"...so then i talked to that unit's coordinator and he was like "nah you'll be done on the 9th, so book a ticket for the 10th", which is what happened....we were done on the 9th, and didn't have to be back til the 5th....what i'd do is book a ticket for like the 20th but make sure it's one you can change (for a fee or something)...then you at least have one, but as soon as you get to dublin in the fall you get on them and find out....they don't seem to understand that international students have more to do with travel arrangements at christmas than have mummy drive up from cork to bring you home....

as for books, ucd has a used book sale during the 3rd week of class or something, and i got a lot of mine there......i would advise you not to bring any books, unless you have a biochem book you can't live without or something like that....books are a waste of weight, you should be bringing your fav soap, deodorant, peanut butter, etc....that kind of stuff....creature comforts.......there are lots of good places to buy books and believe it or not, they are cheaper in ireladn than in canada (med books anyway)....

if you have anymore questions post them or drop me an email:

[email protected]

i was at mac from 1996-2000, at UWO during 2000-2001, and back at mac AGAIN for 2002-2003...did bio as my first degree, a year of upper year science courses at western, then a 2nd degree in gerontology at mac for 2002-2003

Hi,

My name is Mike and I live in Alberta. I'm going to UCD next year for med school (5 year program) and I'm pretty excited. I've done two years of Life Sciences at Queen's University in Ontario. I had a few questions and I was hoping someone with some experience might be able to answer them.

I've also been struggling with booking my plane ticket home for christmas. I found a ticket for Dec 23rd at a good price but the airline says I would not be able to change it, even for a fee. I would have to purchase another ticket. It's crazy that we could be finishing Dec exams anywhere between the 10th and the 23rd. Could anyone suggest an airline I could turn to? Any hints on the cheapest tickets a Canadian can get to Ireland?

I also bought a new labtop computer last year. I was going to get an adaptor for it but someone at Atlantic Bridge told me that their North American students have problems with their labtop adaptors (they break down easily or don't work or something). He strongly recommended that I purchase a computer in Ireland. Does anyone know anything about this? Should I buy a new computer in Ireland?

I was also wondering which type of Visas most Canadian UCD graduates apply for when going for their US residencies - the H1B or the J1? I have researched what it takes to get either visa and have found that getting a J1 is a big hastle. Many advise me to go for the H1B so I could avoid returning to Canada and having to write the Canadian exams. Are Can UCD grads able to obtain the H1B visa or is it very hard to get (ie. does it require really high med school and board marks)? If many of them are getting the J1 visa doesn't this mean that they are having to write the US boards, Irish boards, and Canadian boards? This seems like a huge feat. Am I missing something?

Thanks for reading my long message. I would really appreciate any help.

Mike

hey mike,

i'm not even going to try to answer your visa questions, because i have no idea and that is pretty far off for me to be concerned about it now, but hopefully someone else reading this will know.

as for your plane ticket home at christmas, you're going to have to do it one of 2 ways...i got a one way to dublin and got a ticket home for christmas once i was there from usit (kind of like travelcuts on campus)...i got a return ticket home at christmas and back in january for 480 euros, so that wasn't too bad......most of my classmates had return portions on their tickets that had htem leaving between the 20th and 23rd....some people just kept those and left that late, but others changed theirs...we got the same info last year, about exams possibly giong to the 23rd, but that hasn't happened at least for the last 2 years....in 2002 and 2003, exams were done for christmas around the 8th or 9th. there are no orals or anything at christmas so you write those exams and you're done and outta there til early january. don't take this as gospel but i'd be very surprised if you were done muc hafter the 10th....there are only 2 short exams at christmas....it's may when the **** really hits the fan but even those aren't that bad.

as for hte computer, i think you got some bad info. EVERYONE i know brought their laptops with them and no one i know had a problem of any kind. you dont' need to buy an adapter for your laptop (most likely)...check the adapter you have with it, it should have stamped or written on it that it can handle voltages ranging from 100-240V...if so then you're fine...all you need is a 2 dollar plug adapter so that you can plug your north american plug into an irish outlet....the adapter itself converts the voltage.....so definitely don't buy another computer in ireland.

feel free to get in touch if you have anymore questions.....i assume you're living merville? you'll have a great time...i know i did....later

Mike,

I WARNED you to stay in canada so you wouldn't have to worry about visa and board exam issues!!!! you coulda finished the last two years and save yourself a lot of trouble... oh well... too late now eh? :cool:

Fire me a PM so i can get your email addy.

-Your FREN 017 buddy

Hey Badkarma25,

Thanks for answering my questions ... very helpful. I will be living at Merville next year. It looks really nice judging from pictures I've seen.

Mike

I'll just echo and say do NOT buy a laptop in Ireland! Your laptop adaptor should be able to handle international voltage (on the label it should say 100-240 V). All you need is a US --> UK plug adaptor (5 bucks) to fit onto the end of the prongs.. If your laptop can't handle international voltage then 1) it's a dinosaur and you should get a new one anyway 2) you got it from podunk electronics store and had the components thrown together (unlikely with laptops).

hey michael w48....merville is not the residence in that nice glossy pic you get from ucd....it's not THAT bad...i mean sharing a bar fridge between 4-5 guys sucks but you get used to it. but those pics on that sheet are of the glenomena residence......it's much newer....sigh...i still miss merville though....what a great year....you're going to have a SUPER time....plus you'll get to meet my class LOL

hi everyone, i too will be starting at ucd in the fall. a friend of mine just told me about site... i'm from montreal by way of a few crap towns in and about the area of toronto (go leafs!). i like the idea of bringing over some KD (and that PC white cheddar version too), but #1, i heard that the irish love real maple syrup, so if you wanna make friends with the locals...
now i heard that it rarely snows there and rains pretty much every day at least for a few minutes, but does anyone know the coldest it would ever get there? (i wouldn't need any real coat, just fall jackets, right? damn winter coats take up too much space)
thanks for the help.

Uh, it can get really chilly. The type of coldness is different. Back home, it gets damn cold but it's cold that goes on you, not through you and in you. Ireland is very damp and at the risk of sounding like an old person, the coldness seeps into your bones and doesn't leave. Combine that with how windy it can get. I really think you'd want your winter jacket...even though it takes a lot of space and winter is "shorter" here.

It seems I got an offer for UCD this fall! :luck: :luck: :luck:

I'm German, live in the Frankfurt area, and just started dentistry at the University of Regensburg in Bavaria. But since demands to manual dexterity manufacturing dentures etc. are extremely high, I better try my hand at medicine...

But I guess I will be in the premed year, since I don't have an undergraduate degree already!

Hey muelli, I'm going to UCC this fall, but I lived in Southern Germany for a year and a half and about 4 1/2 months in Regensburg. I love that city. That's a good university too. Anyway, just couldn't resist replying, congratulations on the acceptance.

does anyone know anything about the residences at UCD? i heard that they're apartment-styled, and the dishware and stuff are supplied. any idea on the number of people per compartment, sizes, rules, etc? just curious. thanks.

kaps said:
does anyone know anything about the residences at UCD? i heard that they're apartment-styled, and the dishware and stuff are supplied. any idea on the number of people per compartment, sizes, rules, etc? just curious. thanks.

Here's some info on the residences at UCD:
http://www.ucd.ie/accommodation.htm

hey there kaps,

everyone doing med or vet at ucd via atlantic bridge lives in merville...it is apartment style....it's about 95% 4 br apts and there are 5 or 6 apts with 5 bedrooms....each apt has 2 washrooms. they do supply all of the cookware, cutlery etc, but when i arrived last fall most of it was missing and the place was a mess. they do replace everything by the end of september, so if you can hang on without buying new pots etc, that's advisable. mind you, you'll need them later on anyway and they aren't that expensive at tesco. you get a pillow and duvet in your bedroom. you'll want to buy an extra pillow probalby, cheap just about anywhere, particularly basement of arnott's on henry st (good bargain basement for sheets, towels etc).

there's a centra store right in merville which sells just about everything you'll need except bus passes. you can top up your mobile phone there, buy all your food, cigarettes, most common medicines, etc.

the rooms aren't that bad at merville....it's dodgier than most north american residences but it's not that bad. as for rules, if you read what is on the lease, it sounds pretty bad. they say no alcohol is allowed, which is a laugh (not enforced AT ALL), and they also say no overnight guests (also something i never saw enforced). i know plenty of people who had friends visit from home and sleep on the floor, or boyfriends/girlfriends staying over 5-6 nights per week without any trouble. i think the only way you'd get busted on that is if you had tightass roomates who ratted you out. as long as everyone is ok with it, i really don't see how you could have a problem. no phonelines in the apartments or internet access. you can access the wireless network on your laptop in the laundry room (which is in the glenomena student residence a short walk away) or in the graduate school of business building, which is also a short walk away...

if you have anymore questions PM me or e-mail me...

electricity in merville is paid for by cards that you insert into a meter box in your apartment...you buy them at the centra in 5 or 10 euro denominations and you get royally ripped off on them......if you're halfway conservative with power you can expect to spend about 250-300 euro for the school year on electricity (maybe a bit less, and that's of course assuming you go home for the entier christmas and march breaks)...