Start Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Born2baDoctor

Medicine: A Natural High
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Approximately how much would it cost to start up a full platsic surgery practice with an in house ambulatory operating room in the northeast? Is this possible being a solo practitioner? How many hours does the average starting plastic surgeon work in a solo practice?

Members don't see this ad.

you probably need a couple hundred k to start a practice, and if you wanted to include an ambulatory care center, you would need a couple million (or some partners). it's hard to build up a patient base in plastics. you need to have charm, attractiveness, and technical skills... and network with other physicians, patients, etc... you don't just put an ad in the paper and then sit by your phone and wait for calls. you need to be a salesman. this is NOT a happy position to be in for the vast majority of med students.

I would agree with that assessment! I think it would be hard to start out as a solo practioner. You would probably have to work in a group for a while to build up the capital and name recognition. People rarely stroll in and say, "Hey! I'd like some plastic surgery!"

I imagine it might be easier for someone in fields like family practice or derm to open up a solo practice as it requires less equipment, staff, supplies, etc... and people occasionally do browse the yellow pages to find a family doc or someone to get rid of a wart.

Of course, the reward for plastics in terms of $$$ is much larger once you do open up your own practice!