Stanford?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss

Damnit Jim!
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Word is leaking out from reputable sources that Stanford Hospital's Inpatient Rehab Unit is being eliminated from the hospital. Apparently therapists and RN's are "re-applying" for other Stanford hospital positions. Pretty big hit to the program with the recent loss of the model center TBI floor at Santa Clara.

I'm not trying to start rumors; this is from legit sources, but details aren't clear yet.

Members don't see this ad.

That does not sound like a good situation. I am sure they are working on trying to setup an inpatient rehab rotation elsewhere in the hospital, otherwise that would be a big blow to the program since there would be no inpatient service at Stanford (only outpatient rotations) and the only inpatient rotations would be at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center and Saint Mary's Medical Center in SF.

On this note of change, I do know from a resident there that they recently were required to change their program director by a push made by Stanford's administration. Although in all likelihood that might have been a good thing, the new PD is much better.

Stanford has always been criticized for being way too inpatient heavy, with multiple inpatient rotations at SCVMC, St Mary's, and the VA. I think this will end up being a positive thing for the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stanford has always been criticized for being way too inpatient heavy, with multiple inpatient rotations at SCVMC, St Mary's, and the VA. I think this will end up being a positive thing for the program.

I forgot about the Palo Alto VA rotations. You may be right that it may be a positive thing as a whole, but now all of the rotations at Stanford will only be outpatient rotations. So should the Stanford name be associated with this residency since no core PM&R rotations are done there now if this is true? Its an interesting idea to ponder...

Inpatient heavy? Compared to where - east, midwest, west? Nice spin but no Rehab department (albeit under ortho) ever wants to lose their inpatient rehab unit at their own institution. Clearly Hospital administration isn't favoring rehab at Stanford and I would bet more cuts will occur.

I forgot about the Palo Alto VA rotations. You may be right that it may be a positive thing as a whole, but now all of the rotations at Stanford will only be outpatient rotations. So should the Stanford name be associated with this residency since no core PM&R rotations are done there now if this is true? Its an interesting idea to ponder...

In the past (like 10-20 years ago) there was no Stanford inpatient unit and the program was still affiliated with Stanford. And the diplomas still just said Stanford on them.

I don't know what exactly constitutes inpatient heavy, but the resident complaint was always that there was too much inpatient time and residents were barely getting in their one year of outpatient rotations.

Stanford was always an inpatient oriented program. As topwise mentioned, they would barely get 1 year of outpatient experience during their 3 years there. I remember senior residents telling me when I rotated there that they had trouble getting there 200 EMGs because of the inpatient requirements. Also one PGY3 resident said that he had not done any outpatient rotations and he was at the end of his third year. Again this was almost 4 years ago and I am sure things have changed a little. But the fact that the PD was ousted from power probably was a result of the administration realizing that the residents don't have confidence in their leadership. This single event will probably change everything in the Stanford PM&R residency, hopefully for the better.

Being a resident in the program, I agree with whomever said that the closure of the Stanford unit will be a positive for the program (we can use that resident possibly in an outpatient rotation). Also, our degrees will still say Stanford on them.

Oh yeah, and if you ask the first years, most of them have had at least one outpatient rotation already. We changed the format of the rotations so that each rotation is only 2 months (rather than 3) long.