St. Matthew's University - Grand Cayman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This question might have already been asked......but i just don't have the time to read through all of these lol. what do you bring with you when you go to SMU? I can't find anything like that. Or maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks so much! Hopefully I'll understand the mechanics of having an apartment while leaving better when I get there.

I was looking around for apartments, and getting a little nervous about the cost :D. I had originally requested to live in the residence halls for a single semester (instead of three semesters at a discounted price) because I thought I might have a better chance of finding a place outside of the RH for slightly cheaper. It turns out that's not really true. I have no idea where I was looking before. Especially since utilities cost $200 extra.

I'm sorry that this is such a big, open-ended question, but could anyone just say a few things about that?

One of my other ideas about living in an apartment was to get a two bedroom place, but fit more than two people. I personally do not mind not sleeping in a bed as long as I have an apartment-mate willing to share a room. Is that a horrible thing?

Again, sorry, I'm not sure how to be more specific.

Members don't see this ad :)
just came across Marvet program on the site i'm interested. has anyone enrolled yet?

This question might have already been asked......but i just don't have the time to read through all of these lol. what do you bring with you when you go to SMU? I can't find anything like that. Or maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Are you looking for personal items? Clothing? Just give me a little more info regarding your question an I'm happy to answer what I can.

Dr. Joe

just came across Marvet program on the site i'm interested. has anyone enrolled yet?

Marvet is an awesome program. The university's site as well as the marvet site itself has tons of information on there.

Also you can email Dr. Samantha Shields [email protected] for more information as she is the director of the marvet program.

Dr. Joe

Just a friendly reminder that St. Matthew's is still accepting students for the January 2013 class! I know that many people are applying for the US/Canadian schools for Sept 2013 but if you have the pre-requisites completed I would encourage you to at least apply.

The university has the LOWEST student to faculty ratio out of any US/Canadian/Caribbean veterinary school out there. I can assure you that you will not be a face or an ID number. You will get the attention and guidance you need to become a GREAT veterinarian. I can speak from personal experience. I am a 2012 graduate of St. Matthew's University and I have successfully found a job unlike many other recent graduates. My employeer was seeking St. Matthew's graduates like myself because of our reputation.

Check out the university's website for information regarding the requirements to attend.

Feel free to email my privately at [email protected] with any questions or posting here on the forum.

Hi folks,

I am a new member to the forum, mature student hoping to apply to SMU Veterinary School for Jan 201 - the problem is, I am English, and don't understand the GPA system at all! I've emailed SMU but they refer me to the website. Are there any English veterinary students at SMU who could let me know the academic requirements in terms of 'A' level & degree rather than GPA?

Really impressed by the positive posts here, everything I read makes me more keen to get a place at SMU!

Thanks in advance,

J

Hi folks,

I am a new member to the forum, mature student hoping to apply to SMU Veterinary School for Jan 201 - the problem is, I am English, and don't understand the GPA system at all! I've emailed SMU but they refer me to the website. Are there any English veterinary students at SMU who could let me know the academic requirements in terms of 'A' level & degree rather than GPA?

Really impressed by the positive posts here, everything I read makes me more keen to get a place at SMU!

Thanks in advance,

J

Hi J,

I do not know of any UK veterinary students currently enrolled in the program. However there have been adjustments to the GPA scoring charts for students that transfered from vet schools in the UK. Also for students that attended universities in Canada as their grading schematics are different that in the US.

Please email me your information and I will get in touch with the person that does the conversions and have the reach out to you. My email is [email protected].

Cheers!

hey everybody i was wondering if anybody could comment on my stats and let me know if you think i have a chance or not? I have already been rejected by Mississippi state and Florida and really freaking out I won't get any interviews

Female, 23 years old, Florida resident
Applied: Mississippi, Auburn, North Carolina, Florida
Rejected: Mississippi, Florida
Waiting: North Carolina, Auburn

Academics:
Graduated with B.S. in Biology from FAU with minor in psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.55
Last 45 h: 3.53
GRE: took it once Verbal 152, Math 150, A 3.5

Veterinary Experience
3500+ hours with small animal hospital i worked at

Animal Experience
7 hours volunteering with horses and mentally and physically deficient children
2 hours on a donkey/miniature pony/sheep farm run by a veterinarian
3 hours at a Dairy farm with animal science class
2 hours at an equine clinic with animal science class
200+ hours pet sitting dogs and cats

Employment:
100 hours at FAU bookstore
70 hours at Law office

Honors:
Undergrad:
Cum laude Graduation honors

Extracurricular activities

Undergrad:
Biology Club: Director of Recruitment
Pre Veterinary Club

hey everybody i was wondering if anybody could comment on my stats and let me know if you think i have a chance or not? I have already been rejected by Mississippi state and Florida and really freaking out I won't get any interviews

Female, 23 years old, Florida resident
Applied: Mississippi, Auburn, North Carolina, Florida
Rejected: Mississippi, Florida
Waiting: North Carolina, Auburn

Academics:
Graduated with B.S. in Biology from FAU with minor in psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.55
Last 45 h: 3.53
GRE: took it once Verbal 152, Math 150, A 3.5

Veterinary Experience
3500+ hours with small animal hospital i worked at

Animal Experience
7 hours volunteering with horses and mentally and physically deficient children
2 hours on a donkey/miniature pony/sheep farm run by a veterinarian
3 hours at a Dairy farm with animal science class
2 hours at an equine clinic with animal science class
200+ hours pet sitting dogs and cats

Employment:
100 hours at FAU bookstore
70 hours at Law office

Honors:
Undergrad:
Cum laude Graduation honors

Extracurricular activities

Undergrad:
Biology Club: Director of Recruitment
Pre Veterinary Club

Please email me privately at [email protected] to discuss things.

I think you have great potential for the program at SMU and would like to discuss more.

Hey, just got accepted into fall 2013 DVM class at SMU. It seems like it is almost impossible for me to pay for the tuition seeing as how there is no financial aid for this school. What is recommended for paying for this? I have no help from family for payments. What do former/current students do? I contacted admissions and they quoted me for needing roughly $20,000USD per semester and this will cover tuition, cost of living expenses, food, transport, etc. This comes out to be about $60,000 for the whole first year for 3 semesters. How realistic is this estimate that I was given?

Hey, just got accepted into fall 2013 DVM class at SMU. It seems like it is almost impossible for me to pay for the tuition seeing as how there is no financial aid for this school. What is recommended for paying for this? I have no help from family for payments. What do former/current students do? I contacted admissions and they quoted me for needing roughly $20,000USD per semester and this will cover tuition, cost of living expenses, food, transport, etc. This comes out to be about $60,000 for the whole first year for 3 semesters. How realistic is this estimate that I was given?

I am also interested in the answers to these questions.

I am going to Grand Cayman in May and before I decide if I want to make time to visit the campus I would like to know what country/countries graduates can immediately practice in. Are the Cayman Island the only place?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! In terms of financing, this can be an ongoing challenge for attending school, unfortunately. If you are unable to garner some financial support from family or other means then what many students do is apply to the Davenport program. Here is a link to the information on the SMU website. It allows you to work on an MBA (yes it involves taking an extra course or two in the semester - online) and it allows you some loans. It does not cover all of your expenses, but it certainly does help to waylay some of your costs.

Personally I think the $20k budget per semester is fairly accurate. It really depends on your lifestyle. I am pretty well spot on for the budget, and I live in an apartment by myself. I don't eat out often, but I do eat well by cooking at home and packing lunches. I also don't party every weekend. Some of my friends are a little over that budget because they also want to take advantage of scuba diving regularly and partying more regularly. I hope this helps - let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi DjIL: I am looking into your question with regards to practicing perhaps in the Caribbean. If you have a specific place you are looking into, let me know and I will likely be able to find out for you.

Just as an FYI for practicing in North America:
The majority of us plan on practicing in the US or Canada, so we are required to do some extra testing. If your plans are for the US, you have 2 options. First, if you plan on settling in a state that accepts the PAVE then you can write a multiple choice test before you go to clinics (usually between semesters 5 & 6 or 6 & 7). If you pass, then your clinical year will count as your clinical exam, and you are good to go once you pass the NAVLE. Australia and New Zealand also accept the PAVE.

If you plan on practicing in Canada then you will have to enter into the ECFVG program. It is a bit more involved and expensive than the PAVE, but you can also practice in any US state that does not accept the PAVE. It involves a multiple choice test and a clinical proficiency exam (CPE) that spans 3 days and 7 sections.

Hi DjIL: I am looking into your question with regards to practicing perhaps in the Caribbean. If you have a specific place you are looking into, let me know and I will likely be able to find out for you.

Thanks! If I wanted to stay and live in Cayman after school, is that a possibility? Is there employment available? Maybe with the school or biological companies?

Other than that, just curious which, if any, are the countries that graduates are eligible to practice in without additional equivalency examinations.

The $20,000/semester is realistic. Much of your expenses will depend on how you choose to budget your money. Often the hardest part.

Also there is the concurrent MBA program that allows you to gain access to financial aid (est. $30k/year). As it has been noted you would regardless need to have personal funds or a private loan. A private loan being one that you would have to start paying back sooner. But with current interest rates if you were able to have someone co-sign you might get a good interest rate. Also I know a number of people, their families had refinanced property/other assets to gain additional funds.

I am also interested in the answers to these questions.

I am going to Grand Cayman in May and before I decide if I want to make time to visit the campus I would like to know what country/countries graduates can immediately practice in. Are the Cayman Island the only place?

You must take the NAVLE (an exam ever student has to take no matter where you go) and the ECFVG in order to practice in Grand Cayman. Visit https://ecfvg.avma.org/Ebusiness50/ecfvg/AVMACertificationMain.aspx for more info on the test.

Just as an FYI for practicing in North America:
The majority of us plan on practicing in the US or Canada, so we are required to do some extra testing. If your plans are for the US, you have 2 options. First, if you plan on settling in a state that accepts the PAVE then you can write a multiple choice test before you go to clinics (usually between semesters 5 & 6 or 6 & 7). If you pass, then your clinical year will count as your clinical exam, and you are good to go once you pass the NAVLE. Australia and New Zealand also accept the PAVE.

If you plan on practicing in Canada then you will have to enter into the ECFVG program. It is a bit more involved and expensive than the PAVE, but you can also practice in any US state that does not accept the PAVE. It involves a multiple choice test and a clinical proficiency exam (CPE) that spans 3 days and 7 sections.

Just a side note. With some states. If you gain licensure via the PAVE and NAVLE some of the state honor reciprocity. Some it is 2 years, but most it is 5 yrs. This meaning that if you have a license in one state for 5 years and have a clean record and are in good standing they will grant you licensure in the additional state. Something to also consider. NOT every state honors that though.

Thanks! If I wanted to stay and live in Cayman after school, is that a possibility? Is there employment available? Maybe with the school or biological companies?

Other than that, just curious which, if any, are the countries that graduates are eligible to practice in without additional equivalency examinations.

A job with the school is possible, but I would recommend getting clinical experience prior to teaching. Or unless you have another professional degree (PhD/otherwise). I'm not sure of many biological companies in Cayman but I could be mispeaking there.

Please feel free to contact me via email at [email protected] as I'm happy to answer questions. I may not get right back to you but generally do in a day or so.

Does St. Matthew's have prep classes for the ECFVG exams or information sessions for students to help get more info etc.?

St. Matthew's does not offer any form of formal class. However when students are in their final clinical year at an affiliated AVMA accredited school that really helps as a review period.

Hey Frogger,

I got into SMU Vet School for the Spring January 2014 semester and I have a few questions. One of them is in regards to you post about taking the 3 semester residence hall agreement vs the 1 semester. What did you end up doing?

In general for anyone to answer, it looks like my parents will be taking out a loan at some point to help pay for the school. I really want to have money of my own ( or if its from the bank) so that I can help out in whatever way. I am currently in undergrad and I wont be getting my BS. After speaking with a rep at SMU and the Davenport program, I was told I could get my BS through them and if I wanted I could then continue on to the MBA program.

The Davenport undergrad tuition is around 10,000 versus the graduate program which is 3,000. I don't know how many classes I will have to take to get the bachelors and what not but could this be a benefit to me if I am able to take a loan for the BS program?

Thanks

Has anyone had experience with the davenport program? How much do you end up paying for it/possible loan amount you can earn for it? I would need the extra financial aid to afford the dvm program and like the idea of an MBA in health care administration. Smu seems like a great school with lots of opportunities with the masters program, marvet, etc. just wanna make sure I can finance it :) thanks for any and all input!

Hi all! Just applied for the September 2014 class, and just wanted to see of anyone else on SDN will be applying or is already accepted for the Fall 2014 semester? :)

My boyfriend went to SMU and has been practicing in FL for almost 2 years now. I never thought I would be in a position to be applying to vet school outside of the states, but after being waitlisted for the 2nd year in a row, I'm seriously considering SMU.

Hello, my name is Valerie and I am a 4th semester at St. Matthew’s University School of Veterinary Medicine in Grand Cayman. If anyone has any questions about applying to SMU, academic course load, or island life, please let me know. I would be more than happy to answer them. :)

http://www.stmatthews.edu/school-of-veterinary-medicine.shtml
Hi, How are you, Hope you are doing find. Well what I can ask? I just got accepted in SMU :D:D so happy about it. But I was wondering how can I get loans or grants or anything that could help me paying the university.

Hope you can help me, Thank you for sharing you experience.:D

Hi all! Just applied for the September 2014 class, and just wanted to see of anyone else on SDN will be applying or is already accepted for the Fall 2014 semester? :)

My boyfriend went to SMU and has been practicing in FL for almost 2 years now. I never thought I would be in a position to be applying to vet school outside of the states, but after being waitlisted for the 2nd year in a row, I'm seriously considering SMU.
Hi. did you get an answer yet?

Please could you send me more info about the University , specially loans and pets

Hi, how long do you think took you the entire process since the first year until passing the NAVLE

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on how to improve or make my application stand out. Im interested in SMU, Midwestern, Lincoln memorial, and of course UF.

26 yr old, female, Florida resident.

Bachelor of Music 3.56 gpa
Bachelor of Science 3.05 gpa

Pre-reqs for SMU: A's and B's.
GRE: will take in Aug 2014
7 years of experience with both small animal/exotic animal hospitals. Worked with 6 different doctors. (1 hospital had a team of 3 doctors)
Worked with Animal services and zoological services as a volunteer.
I have plenty of extracurriculars and clubs/honor societies/certifications.

I will graduate in the Fall so I have summer and fall semesters to bring the GPA up for the science degree. My BS gpa is a little low due to having 2 jobs in order to pay for school/ medical emergencies due to my health.

I'm just freaking out like everyone else and I really want to be accepted to anywhere at this point.

I am a little worry about my clinicals. I understand that I have to go to the ECVFG process. But do I have to follow the 4 steps? and also If I do not pass these exam that allow me to work in USA, what will be next? Will I stay in the cayman island? or how does it work?.

and If I pass it, how accurate is that the universities in USA will accept me? Do I have to apply for my clinicals and wait until the university accept me? Because I am aware that some universities that accept ECVFG student sometimes do not have vacancy / available seats.

Please help me with this.. Thank you so much:D

Congrats on getting accepted! My name is Kallie and I am a current SMU students, and also here to answer questions! Has anyone answered your question about funding yet? If not I would be more than happy to!

I am a little worry about my clinicals. I understand that I have to go to the ECVFG process. But do I have to follow the 4 steps? and also If I do not pass these exam that allow me to work in USA, what will be next? Will I stay in the cayman island? or how does it work?.

and If I pass it, how accurate is that the universities in USA will accept me? Do I have to apply for my clinicals and wait until the university accept me? Because I am aware that some universities that accept ECVFG student sometimes do not have vacancy / available seats.

Please help me with this.. Thank you so much:D
So in this process you can go ECVFG or PAVE, it depends on where you want to practice. The PAVE is much cheaper but not every state accepts the PAVE. I will have to do some research on the steps,most people take the PAVE here, then their clinical year counts as the final part. You do not have to pass either test though to move on to clinics. I have spoken with some students who did not sit either test until after their clinical year, but you DO have to sit one of the two and PASS one of the two prior to sitting the National Boards. You apply for a clinical spot prior to 7th and they automatically place you. They try very hard to give you one of your top choices though not always possible depending on GPA, class size and other factors. You do not though have to sit around and wait for semesters to be placed, you will be placed prior to being in 7th so you will spend your last semester on island knowing where you are going =-). I can get you more information on the testing policies as I am not that well versed on them if you would like!

This is the link to the PAVE site
https://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/

Just jumping in to say hi! I'm starting at SMU this fall! I really looking forward to getting in touch with classmates. I ordered many of the text books on Monday, so am eagerly awaiting their arrival (my friends think it is hilarious how excited I am for textbooks!).

I am working towards bringing a small dog with me, but online says different information about the requirements. I called the DOA office directly for the information, but sadly it did not arrive.

Does anyone know information about getting a scooter and a license for a scooter (do I need to get my motorcycle endorsement in the states first?). That seems easier than a car. Is the bus system pretty user friendly like the website indicates?

Are they any horse people that know about opportunities to ride or even groom, or just want to talk horse and share photos?

Are most people coming down the 3 days before the first day as is allowed by the resident hall/suites? Unfortunately, none of my family is willing to go down with me to help settle in since it's expensive and not even a good vacation time, so I looks like I'll need to ship some belongings. Any one else shipping or have shipped before?

Thanks for any advice! I look forward to meeting everyone soon!

Welcome to SMU!!! Congrats on getting in you have some really great students I have already met in your class. If you get a chance send me an email [email protected] that way I can send you all of the dog info =-). Getting a scooter can be a bit complicated, they are pretty expensive you can normally buy a car for about the same price here. There are also apparently some rules about non residents having them(this is all not direct information though). The bus system is SUPER easy and always available plus the living arrangements are close to campus. I do not have a car and do just fine. I am actually VP of AAEP so I can for sure set you up with some horse experiences. There are multiple stables on island that LOVE volunteers and we also have school owned horses that love spa days. I moved down here on my own with only two bags the day before and was 100% ok. We have a place that is pretty much island SAMS Club within walking distance. I look forward to hearing from you and send me any questions you have!

hey everyone, I have my Skype interview on Monday for the May session. Ross didn't work out for me so I'm hoping either SMU or SGU will. If successful, I will be bringing down my dog (22kg) and cat (3kg). Any advice? I will definitely be doing Davenport for monies lol

Like the student above, I have questions as I plan to bring my dog with me.

First, will I have sufficient t time for him? About how long are classes/time on campus each day for a new student? Also, are housing suites shared or can you get a single room? I ask because my dog takes time to acclimate to new people and his initial behavior may put some of my fellow students off.

Like the student above, I have questions as I plan to bring my dog with me.

First, will I have sufficient t time for him? About how long are classes/time on campus each day for a new student? Also, are housing suites shared or can you get a single room? I ask because my dog takes time to acclimate to new people and his initial behavior may put some of my fellow students off.

To my understanding from the interview, residence suites are 2 bedrooms and do allow pets but I need to check to see if there is a size limit. From my experience classes will probably be from 8 to 3 depending on labs.

Hello, my name is Valerie and I am a 4th semester at St. Matthew’s University School of Veterinary Medicine in Grand Cayman. If anyone has any questions about applying to SMU, academic course load, or island life, please let me know. I would be more than happy to answer them. :)

http://www.stmatthews.edu/school-of-veterinary-medicine.shtml
Hi Valerie,

Why did you still decide to go to a medical school that is not accredited with AVMA?
Do you plan to practice on the island? How will you work in the states?
Are you willing to pay the more than 10,000 for the two tests that need to be taken to work in the states?
Not sure if you want to answer this, but how are you paying for the school since they do not provide financial assistance?

concernedmother

Hi
I am currently applying to st matthew.
I am schedule for an interview i just want to know any pointers and like is it a good fact that i got an interview n does that bring me closer to being accepted.
Hopefully I get a response thanks

Hello, my name is Valerie and I am a 4th semester at St. Matthew’s University School of Veterinary Medicine in Grand Cayman. If anyone has any questions about applying to SMU, academic course load, or island life, please let me know. I would be more than happy
Hi
I just have a question about the interview like what should i expect and if you have any pointer that be great

what were some of your stats for people who got accepted into SMU-SVM

Hi
I am currently applying to st matthew.
I am schedule for an interview i just want to know any pointers and like is it a good fact that i got an interview n does that bring me closer to being accepted.
Hopefully I get a response thanks
i just had my interview a few weeks ago, very laid back and informal. be prepared to talk about yourself a lot and your feelings towards things in the veterinary field. my poor grades were not addressed at all. also, focus heavily on why you like smu and what makes you an asset to their program. when are you applying for? i am waiting on a decision for the january 2019 class

I am still in the process of submitting my materials(ie. LOR and photos) and was wondering what financial institutions do people use to get loans? I mean not everyone there can pull a home equity loan or take out a $200k personal loan. St. Matthews is my second choice at the moment only because of the financials. I am also curious, are the class sizes of 15-20 people because of facility size? or is it due to less applicants? Also, does the island support bicycling or is like St. Kitts where you will lose your wheels if you try?
Hi! I was just accepted for May 2023 at st. Matthews! Did you end up going to school there? What did you use for finances? I’m struggling to find an institution to work with