St. Mary's Waterbury CT General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spreebee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I just want to share my 2 cents about this program... I still have nightmares of this place years after rotating through as a medical student. For anyone looking to apply, here was my experience, and many can agree that they had the similar experiences.

Anyways, pre-rounds would start at 4:30 a.m. with rounds beginning around 5:30 and lasting until 7:00 a.m. At 7:00 a.m., you would go to the OR atleast until 12:00 - 5:00 p.m. You would spend that afternoons if you weren't in the OR doing consults, wound vacs, new admits, etc., and would finish around 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. every night. Not to mention Q3 for call.

Now here is the kicker: Most malignant atmosphere I have ever seen. Some attendings from what I saw were very flighty in the fact that if there was 1 little mistake you would think your head was being torn off. There were times I got blasted for missing a p1mping question. On the other hand, they were quite friendly at times, but had their favorites. This attitude was passed down to the residents. I witnessed residents walking down the hall daily cursing to themselves and the anger was being thrown at the medical students. I was unfortunate enough to absorb lots of resident anger at the time, as did many of my fellow medical students. There were medical students that would cry on a weekly basis, and I remember particular names.

Aside from that note... Preliminary residents would compete for 1 categorical spot. I saw preliminary residents fighting tooth and nail and after the year was done one resident was left looking for another job. The sad thing was from what I witnessed both residents were similar in skill but one seemed more of a favorite.

One thing I learned from this place... I have never had trouble in the medical field with malignant co-workers due the the THICK SKIN I grew during my time here...This is spoken with pure honesty...

In addition, this was years ago. The residents are new and attendings might be different now. I am just giving my experience and observations for those looking at this program make sure you do your research to make sure it is the right fit. This place will train you to be a good surgeon if you can tough it out. They will prepare you not only for surgical skills but youll grow a thick skin for the real world of practice.. Hope this helps...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user