St. Mary's Hospital (Imperial) or Guy's Hospital (King's) for elective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittencat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm a med student from NZ who has just got a yes from both Imperial College and King's College for my final year elective. I am not trying to decide where to go!

The electives are Gen Surg in St. Mary's Hospital or or O & G in Guy's Hospital.

I would really like a plcae with nice consultants who is keen to let students do some practical stuff too.

Anyone with experience with any of these places and can share their thoughts? :)

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys.

I'm a med student from NZ who has just got a yes from both Imperial College and King's College for my final year elective. I am not trying to decide where to go!

The electives are Gen Surg in St. Mary's Hospital or or O & G in Guy's Hospital.

I would really like a plcae with nice consultants who is keen to let students do some practical stuff too.

Anyone with experience with any of these places and can share their thoughts? :)

Thanks in advance!

Those are both great campuses, and congratulations! As far as advising on your options, if you're undecided on pursuing general surgery or obstetrics/gynecology I'd personally opt for going with the one you have a stronger gut instinct for since you really can't go wrong with either. Most of the anecdotal things I've read on the student room about which hospital students prefer relate to the didactic years. If you haven't personally visited, St. Mary's is near Kensington, SOHO, Hyde Park et al and is in a really nice area (e.g. Russian Oligarchs driving Audi S8's) while Guy's Hospital is next to London Bridge and the City of London proper, which is the UK's major financial/business center. I'd liken your question to TriBeCa (Imperial) or Midtown (Guy's) NYC or something similar.