SSRI/SNRI + Coumadin? Your Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you ok with prescribing SSRI/SNRI with a patient that is on coumadin?

As we all know, on one hand, it can increase INR/PT, although it appears quite low, as per these review articles:

Although this study suggests there is an increase in risk of hemorrhage:

On the other hand, these patients are usually closely monitored in anti-coagulation clinics, monitoring INR, so I presume it should be ok?

Members don't see this ad.

IIRC Luvox and Prozac are the worst as they are hitting cyp stuff hardest. Had a few cases with Lexapro that were fine. Maybe others could weigh in more

it depends on the SSRI. My go to is usually sertraline for these patient followed by escitalopram. venlafaxine is another option.
There are two issues. One is pharmacokinetics which mean avoiding certain meds that will increase warfarin levels. The second is pharmacodynamics in this case the modest effects of SSRIs on platelet aggregation increasing bleeding risk. this risk is modest but real, and not something that can be monitored in an anticoagulant clinic or by monitoring INR (since that is not the issue).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
it depends on the SSRI. My go to is usually sertraline for these patient followed by escitalopram. venlafaxine is another option.
There are two issues. One is pharmacokinetics which mean avoiding certain meds that will increase warfarin levels. The second is pharmacodynamics in this case the modest effects of SSRIs on platelet aggregation increasing bleeding risk. this risk is modest but real, and not something that can be monitored in an anticoagulant clinic or by monitoring INR (since that is not the issue).
The kinetic issue really isn’t an issue though because you’re measuring inr and can adjust the dose right?

Reactions: 1 user
Ignoring pharmacokinetics, maudsley says the warfarin/ssri combo has an absolute risk of UGIB of 4%, compared to nsaid/ssri of 3% and aspirin/ssri of 6%.