Thoughts on this job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batman's Underwear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently found a job that pays around ~$130 per ED tele consult, 1099, no overhead cost (malpractice and licensing are done by the company). Average consult per hour is about 1.5, and there are no shortages of consult per company representative (no consult=no money). The downside is that I need to do minimum of 1 year.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Pay is low, liability is high and 3 consults every 2 hours including documentation is a grind.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
….huh? 3 ED consults every 2h even with documentation honestly doesn’t sound too bad? He could maybe negotiate for more (but $195/hr isn’t that bad?), but how exactly is this high liability and high workload?

How many ED patients do you or did you see on a typical day in residency? This job OP is talking about is tele too, so that presumably cuts down on a lot of time related to waiting for med clearance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I never found tele psych ED to be particularly high liability if you're in a medical ER where ER docs are available for medical concerns, you have social work support, and you document appropriately. You take some or all of these things away and yes the liability goes up. I also see some colleagues notes and when they discharge a patient there is essentially no mention of decision making on risk - I can see how a lot of these docs are sued (and lose) if/when there is a bad outcome.

Ultimately you do a suicide risk assessment, you use reasonable judgement, and you make a dispo decision. If it comes back to bite you, as long as you were thorough and weren't negligent, you should be fine. The old phrase "you can be wrong but you can't be negligent" was drilled into us during residency by a very prominent forensic doc on staff. It has helped me find peace in the decisions I'm making in the ER in particular.

Reactions: 4 users
I never found tele psych ED to be particularly high liability if you're in a medical ER where ER docs are available for medical concerns, you have social work support, and you document appropriately. You take some or all of these things away and yes the liability goes up. I also see some colleagues notes and when they discharge a patient there is essentially no mention of decision making on risk - I can see how a lot of these docs are sued (and lose) if/when there is a bad outcome.

Ultimately you do a suicide risk assessment, you use reasonable judgement, and you make a dispo decision. If it comes back to bite you, as long as you were thorough and weren't negligent, you should be fine. The old phrase "you can be wrong but you can't be negligent" was drilled into us during residency by a very prominent forensic doc on staff. It has helped me find peace in the decisions I'm making in the ER in particular.
This is interesting.

I also think it’s interesting to consider that in my residency we were never formally taught by any “experts” on how to do ED evals or competent “non-negligent” risk assessments. We were taught by our senior residents who were taught by theirs and so on. And we saw most of our volume overnight, alone.

So any tips beyond stating the basic demographic factors for suicide risk?

Reactions: 2 users
I recently found a job that pays around ~$130 per ED tele consult, 1099, no overhead cost (malpractice and licensing are done by the company). Average consult per hour is about 1.5, and there are no shortages of consult per company representative (no consult=no money). The downside is that I need to do minimum of 1 year.

Any thoughts?
I've got to say that as someone who has done ER psych for the past year and a half that doing 1.5 consults/hr is A LOT if you're doing full, good assessments. I averaged about 3-4 per shift (6-8 hours) and that started burning me out. If you're just going to be the overly conservative "everyone with SI gets admitted and if they don't like it then invol" and those people are all auto-accepted then I guess it would be fine. But if you're doing legit risk assessments, recommending necessary resources (not providing them, that's SW's job), and documenting appropriately then 40 minutes per eval would be awful. That pay is only decent if the vast majority of these consults are super straightforward, which I'm sure they are not otherwise they shouldn't bother having a psychiatrist seeing these patients. I wouldn't touch this position, but after doing this for a while I also would never accept an ER telepsych job in the first place.

how exactly is this high liability and high workload?
ER is the highest liability setting for psychiatry. D/c someone who was suicidal or dangerous and they try something and you better have strong documentation if that goes to court. Every patient is high acuity, so assessments need to be solid. That takes time and can be emotionally exhausting. Depending on the ER, if you say they need inpatient admission but no one will accept them then the ER docs are going to be hounding you about what to do. Do you piss off ER docs and admin and say they have to sit in the ER until placed (maybe for days) or find a way to justify letting patients reporting dangerousness and high acuity complaints discharge? Things could vary significantly based on the system, but there can be a lot more to these positions than just doing a basic assessment and giving a 1x recommendation...

I never found tele psych ED to be particularly high liability if you're in a medical ER where ER docs are available for medical concerns, you have social work support, and you document appropriately.
Just because they're doing the med assessments and SW is supporting doesn't mean a lawyer won't come after you if something goes wrong. We're still physicians, if we miss something medical the ER doc isn't the only one on the hook. Good documentation can mitigate a lot of risk, but thinking that because other people are involved that a lawyer wouldn't go after you too if there's a lawsuit is a dangerous way to view things.

This is interesting.

I also think it’s interesting to consider that in my residency we were never formally taught by any “experts” on how to do ED evals or competent “non-negligent” risk assessments. We were taught by our senior residents who were taught by theirs and so on. And we saw most of our volume overnight, alone.

So any tips beyond stating the basic demographic factors for suicide risk?
The VA has a decent suicide assessment form if you google "VA risk assessment tool, CSRE". It used to be over 60 pages long but I see they've cut it down to around 10 pages. A thorough suicide assessment is going to include the obvious demographics, but also go in depth with past attempts and SI, means, intent, planning, etc as well as looking at positive/protective factors and include thorough exploration of current social situation and background, previous ER visits or encounters with reports of SI if you have that available, and availability of outpatient follow-up and ongoing care. This takes time to perform and often more time to document.

Reactions: 6 users
@Stagg737 I think it's moreso that it becomes harder to prove standard of care was deviated from when not one but two (including an emergency trained professional) missed whatever medical issue was missed. Not that you can't or won't also be included in a suit because an er doc also saw the patient.

Dude, this job sucks.

What if there are no consults? You just sit and don't get paid. Plus, you're getting incentivized to just churn and burn poor quality work and soak up the liability.

Get paid per hour, and make sure its north of 250. Get incentivized to do a good job.

Reactions: 8 users
Based on limited info provided, this is one of the worst jobs I’ve seen. Define “no shortage” of consults? 6 in an 8 hour shift could be defined as no shortage as 6 evals per 8 hours is fairly busy to some psychiatrists.

What happens when you have some fairly tough cases or children? Will you interview different family members?

what if the employer loses some contracts and consults go down? What protections do you have?

With documentation, camera/internet issues, patient set-up, etc., I’d want a fair rate based on 1 patient per hour and get paid more if I’m efficient. $130/hr is maybe a fair rate if they will allow you to work remotely from the Philippines. As Medicare contracts won’t allow that and this is an ED job, you are also confined as to where u can live.

I’m struggling to find the positive here.

Reactions: 5 users
I guess if you’re gonna decline to admit someone, it’s high liability, but doesn’t good enough documentation and truly waiting for med clearance prevent lawsuits from significantly materialising in the first place?

How long are you all, for example, spending on a case where someone comes to the ED brought by their family for suicidality, and is then brought to the psych ED where they deny suicidality, and you have to call their family?

How long are you spending on someone who claims SI with AH and has a ton of prior inpatient admissions and hx homelessness and can’t list more than 1-2 aggravating factors including homelessness?

How long for someone brought to psych for paranoia/psychosis from being high weed who got prns and spent several hours waiting in the behavioral ed for the psych eval?

Last edited:
I guess if you’re gonna decline to admit someone, it’s high liability, but doesn’t good enough documentation and truly waiting for med clearance prevent lawsuits from significantly materialising in the first place?

How long are you all. for example, spending on a case where someone comes to the ED brought by their family for suicidality, and is then brought to the psych ED where they deny suicidality, and you have to call their family?

Based on my outpatient practice, the majority of my patients that express suicidal thoughts and go to the ED end up denying it. Say you are brought to the ER by family and you are depressed. You’ll now wait in the waiting room for a few hours bored. By the time you actually talk to someone, you’ve had hours to contemplate how this will go. If you have decided to end your life, you now have a plan to get out of the ED to follow through with it, or you have utilized a coping skill by force (nothing else to do in the ED) and you begin to think that anywhere but a psych hospital seems better at the moment. There still may be a 40% chance that you try something, but maybe calling an ex-girlfriend or hitting the bar sounds better first.

Another possibility that I’ve had: Adolescent states acutely suicidal. Has plan and intent. Parent after waiting hours has decided that parent can adequately monitor patient - parent starts stating that patient is a liar and just wants attention to get child discharged. Parent is the liar in this case. How much time if you aren’t intimately involved with this case would spend figuring this out?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How's this tele ER job sound?

3600 for 24 hour shift. 2200 for 7a-7p.

Average about 8-9 consults in a 24. Sometimes as few as 1-2 overnight.

The 7a-7p is low, however may not be a bad side gig if it’s not too strenuous and you have time to leisure around the house.

If you did 3 shifts a week, 48 weeks a year that’s 316k gross with no benefits. Add in taxes and self employment tax and your take home gets pretty sad. For comparison, I’ll be getting similar gross pay with great benefits for a different ER day only gig. However, your benefit of getting shredded at your home gym, playing video games/online poker on the clock, and other run of the mill degeneracy is a great benefit in itself so it may be worth it.

I wouldn’t touch that overnight gig at all.

Last edited:

This has more potential.

2200 / 12 = $183/hr guaranteed
3600 / 24 = $150/hr guaranteed (makes little sense to me that they pay less for a shift that seems way less convenient!)

If you just do the daytime shifts you, it seems, would probably see something like 5-8 tele ER consults each 12-hour day. You are getting a guaranteed rate of $183/hr, and as mistafab calculated above three shifts per week gets you over $300k without benefits (which is getting into the ballpark of average psychiatry earnings). Given that you get to work from home and you have four out of seven days of the week completely free of work-related duties (no checking outpatient messages, handling emergencies, arranging coverage, etc.) I think this could be reasonable.

40 minutes max for ED consult? This type of tele psych job is the downfall of psychiatry. We had telepsych for ED consults at my last job and they would bill 90792 for all consults and document spending something like 15 minutes face to face. They'd recommend resuming home meds and had some lame boiler plate language like "patient could benefit from inpatient psychiatry admission." Sometimes they would list the home meds that the patient hadn't been taking for 6 months and recommend restarting all of them, sometimes like 6 psych meds, high doses that would normally require titration, all at once, in the ED.

Often times they wouldn't even list a diagnosis and were not doing anything close to a full psychiatric diagnostic eval, just copy pasting whatever was in the ED social work and/or ED physician's note that was already in the chart.

They did this for everyone, even obviously malingering, homeless, drug intoxicated, medical unstable delirious patients that needed to either be discharged or admitted to medicine.

The liability for discharging someone in 40 minutes is too high, you won't have time to call collateral or do discharge planning or coordinate with social work. So you end up recommending admit for everybody to CYA. Which makes the consult pretty worthless.

Reactions: 6 users
The 7a-7p is low, however may not be a bad side gig if it’s not too strenuous and you have time to leisure around the house.

If you did 3 shifts a week, 48 weeks a year that’s 316k gross with no benefits. Add in taxes and self employment tax and your take home gets pretty sad. For comparison, I’ll be getting similar gross pay with great benefits for a different ER day only gig. However, your benefit of getting shredded at your home gym, playing video games/online poker on the clock, and other run of the mill degeneracy is a great benefit in itself so it may be worth it.

I wouldn’t touch that overnight gig at all.

Yeah but do 2x 24s a week x 48 weeks you’re at 345k guaranteed. Sounds like nights can be pretty light too. Might not be terrible.

Yeah but do 2x 24s a week x 48 weeks you’re at 345k guaranteed. Sounds like nights can be pretty light too. Might not be terrible.
I mean kinda sorta. That’s a 48 hr work week rather than most psych doing less than forty for 306 median in salaried with benefits jobs.

But if it truly is light then maybe it’s not so bad. If it’s anything but light, your next day is completely shot - years off your life.

Reactions: 7 users
Based on limited info provided, this is one of the worst jobs I’ve seen. Define “no shortage” of consults? 6 in an 8 hour shift could be defined as no shortage as 6 evals per 8 hours is fairly busy to some psychiatrists.

What happens when you have some fairly tough cases or children? Will you interview different family members?

what if the employer loses some contracts and consults go down? What protections do you have?

With documentation, camera/internet issues, patient set-up, etc., I’d want a fair rate based on 1 patient per hour and get paid more if I’m efficient. $130/hr is maybe a fair rate if they will allow you to work remotely from the Philippines. As Medicare contracts won’t allow that and this is an ED job, you are also confined as to where u can live.

So I talked to a current physician today, because I had similar questions.

1. No protections if the consults go down
2. I asked about that (cases that need collateral information, other parties such as SW, police officer, CPS, APS and etc, involuntary commitment). Basically same pay for consult. Vast majority of the cases are SI +/- HI + Homelessness +/- Malingering

This has more potential.

2200 / 12 = $183/hr guaranteed
3600 / 24 = $150/hr guaranteed (makes little sense to me that they pay less for a shift that seems way less convenient!)

If you just do the daytime shifts you, it seems, would probably see something like 5-8 tele ER consults each 12-hour day. You are getting a guaranteed rate of $183/hr, and as mistafab calculated above three shifts per week gets you over $300k without benefits (which is getting into the ballpark of average psychiatry earnings). Given that you get to work from home and you have four out of seven days of the week completely free of work-related duties (no checking outpatient messages, handling emergencies, arranging coverage, etc.) I think this could be reasonable.
This is my thought. On days I do the ed gig I would schedule some outpatient roles throughout the day, so I'd essentially be double dipping on days of ed coverage. So about 4 hours of outpatient spread throughout the day. For the 24hr that would be about 5k a day earned.

These jobs all sound underpaid to my PP ears. But to each his own.
To me I'm seeing this as ~400/consult. From that angle, does it still seem bad to you?

$130 per new, at 1.5 new an hour, and no pay if no patients? Send me a PM, I'll match that contract. Sign within the hour, and I'll throw in a bonus $25 Target gift card.

There are many positives for the EM docs ,the group holding the ED contract, and the hospital.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
$130 per new, at 1.5 new an hour, and no pay if no patients? Send me a PM, I'll match that contract. Sign within the hour, and I'll throw in a bonus $25 Target gift card.

There are many positives for the EM docs ,the group holding the ED contract, and the hospital.

Seriously. I’d hire a new psych at $130 per eval and $65/follow-up telepsych outpatient.

Reactions: 4 users

Target gift card is tempting..

To me I'm seeing this as ~400/consult. From that angle, does it still seem bad to you?

I've worked in the ED. I know what it's like. It's a rough gig no matter how you cut it. Tele is not necessarily better. For an average psychiatrist with an average background, one *might* start considering this perhaps at around $250+ per hour. But this is not really the point given that these jobs are very much standardized and your credentials and quality is not really relevant, which is always a bad outcome.

The biggest downside to me is that ED work makes it hard to think and deliver high-quality outpatient care, which is a necessary stepping stone towards eventually building a profitable private practice. Many of my colleagues fell into the trap of working shifts where they get exhausted after reach shift and don't find the time to fit in their practice-building activities. 10 years later they still don't have a lot of options and have little in terms of net worth. It's tough to work overnight in your 50s (either in person or on Zoom), have to listen to your boss to direct you and manage your QA when your boss is maybe 10 years younger than you, get paid peanuts, and have zero job security excepting the overall grossly mismatched supply and demand. This is a common occurrence in my ED and it's just not a great narrative.

Now, the story is neither a cause nor an effect and the correlation is anything but perfect, and one could work in the ED day in day out, live a frugal life, and be prosperous, but I think in general people who work gig to gig end up with this kind of problem. For one thing, it's difficult to get leverage (i.e. borrow to invest) from random unsteady income like this. Without leverage, it's hard to build wealth. I am in multiple million dollars of personally guaranteed debt that's securitized by assets. This is difficult to achieve with a sub $200 per hour billing rate. Secondly, the tendency to burn out from ED work leads people to think in a short-term way in terms of lifestyle design. The focus of PP is completely different and allows you to think in much longer terms, especially about equity ownership of various kinds. And this is how one achieves financial (and other types of) independence. I think other people here with equity stakes in their practices think and talk similarly.

If you really want to do this, my suggestion is to build a portfolio of offers from different organizations, and then bid them against each other in terms of compensation. In this day and age, it's often not difficult to find 10 agencies and get them each to make an offer, pick the top 2 or 3, then keep getting offers and bid them up. I would consider this to be a practice-building activity. You can see that I think about this completely differently vis-a-vis an employee of an organization. Practice building involves gathering the data of a particular market, engaging alterations of your product and services to fit that market, and then commanding the highest bid for your product. You can ask online for our opinions of the general structure of an offer, but without a more comprehensive survey, all of us are simply giving inaccurate impressions.

Typically people think I interview for one job, if it's a good job I'll take it. If you are an entrepreneur, you think I sell to 10 customers get 5 contracts, and drop 3. Then sell 10 more. I would encourage every psychiatrist who wants to be wealthy to think more like an entrepreneur.

Last edited:
Not that anyone should ever do this, but if it is a tele ER job, couldn’t you just agree with yourself to have a weekly quota for non-admission (ie 5-10%) rather than in fact admitting literally everyone to cover your own ass? Realistically, quotas are also what inpatient floor psychs have to use to an extent since case management can only handle so many discharges at once.

This quota could even be deemed a “soft quota.”

Based on my outpatient practice, the majority of my patients that express suicidal thoughts and go to the ED end up denying it. Say you are brought to the ER by family and you are depressed. You’ll now wait in the waiting room for a few hours bored. By the time you actually talk to someone, you’ve had hours to contemplate how this will go. If you have decided to end your life, you now have a plan to get out of the ED to follow through with it, or you have utilized a coping skill by force (nothing else to do in the ED) and you begin to think that anywhere but a psych hospital seems better at the moment. There still may be a 40% chance that you try something, but maybe calling an ex-girlfriend or hitting the bar sounds better first.

Another possibility that I’ve had: Adolescent states acutely suicidal. Has plan and intent. Parent after waiting hours has decided that parent can adequately monitor patient - parent starts stating that patient is a liar and just wants attention to get child discharged. Parent is the liar in this case. How much time if you aren’t intimately involved with this case would spend figuring this out?
Hmm yea. My attendings admit everyone coming directly from any kind of tx center or clinic.

So I talked to a current physician today, because I had similar questions.

1. No protections if the consults go down
2. I asked about that (cases that need collateral information, other parties such as SW, police officer, CPS, APS and etc, involuntary commitment). Basically same pay for consult. Vast majority of the cases are SI +/- HI + Homelessness +/- Malingering
Run. These are the cases where liability is going to be the highest and you're not getting paid more to do a good evaluation and documentation that will actually cover you if something goes wrong. I am quite thorough with my evals and documentation (thanks OCPD traits) and still encounter times when things could still go wrong. Our state screeners for involuntary admission to state facilities are all telehealth and there are times when I have to fight to get invols upheld or represented.

@Stagg737 I think it's moreso that it becomes harder to prove standard of care was deviated from when not one but two (including an emergency trained professional) missed whatever medical issue was missed. Not that you can't or won't also be included in a suit because an er doc also saw the patient.
If you're missing something, then that doesn't mitigate any liability. It just gives lawyers twice as many docs to go after as you said. If 2 docs don't miss anything, agree on a plan, and then there is a bad outcome then there may be some liability mitigation. But as the psychiatrist who is the "expert" being consulted that liability is getting shifted from the ER docs to you. It does not help the psychiatrist in any way, just everyone else as multiple people here have said.

My issues with this job:

1. youre paid per consult, so youre motivated to take any consult, no matter how BS it is, giving the hospital system control over you, because they know you have to see consults to get paid

2. Whether youre seeing patients or not, youre still "working". youre not able to go to a movie during your shift, so that is your time that you are giving to them in the form of access to care. That access to care isnt being valued

3. If its 1.5 consults per shift at that rate, why cant they just offer 374,000 a year with an rvu bonus? Youre still on the clock during your shift and it ensures you get paid. Youre not a used car salesmen, having the ability to consult an on call specialist is its own marketable value, as its your own personal time. Time has a value, IMO.

4. What if you have a bad week with a low number of consults? personally with me i would be pretty anxious if that happens. I like knowning there are guarantees in place. Again, time should be valued.

Reactions: 3 users

Meh I used to d/c this all the time unless they were a referral from their outpatient psychiatrist or something. Liability is actually pretty low if you've got parents stating they're comfortable monitoring the kid at home, esp if nobody is willing to sign voluntary. Then you're essentially saying neither parents NOR patient have capacity and you need to involuntarily admit over both their objections, which is a pretty high threshold to hit esp if the parents now try to challenge the involuntary hold.
Way more common for parents to WANT the kid admitted in my experience and me not wanting to admit them than the other way around.

This is very state dependent though. For instance, in the state I did fellowship this came up fairly frequently because age cutoff was 18yo, so if parents didn't agree you were admitting involuntary over everyones objections. In my current state, cutoff is 14yo so can easily admit if over 14yo and the patient agrees to admission even if parents don't.

I've worked in the ED. I know what it's like. It's a rough gig no matter how you cut it. Tele is not necessarily better. For an average psychiatrist with an average background, one *might* start considering this perhaps at around $250+ per hour. But this is not really the point given that these jobs are very much standardized and your credentials and quality is not really relevant, which is always a bad outcome.

The biggest downside to me is that ED work makes it hard to think and deliver high-quality outpatient care, which is a necessary stepping stone towards eventually building a profitable private practice. Many of my colleagues fell into the trap of working shifts where they get exhausted after reach shift and don't find the time to fit in their practice-building activities. 10 years later they still don't have a lot of options and have little in terms of net worth. It's tough to work overnight in your 50s (either in person or on Zoom), have to listen to your boss to direct you and manage your QA when your boss is maybe 10 years younger than you, get paid peanuts, and have zero job security excepting the overall grossly mismatched supply and demand. This is a common occurrence in my ED and it's just not a great narrative.

Now, the story is neither a cause nor an effect and the correlation is anything but perfect, and one could work in the ED day in day out, live a frugal life, and be prosperous, but I think in general people who work gig to gig end up with this kind of problem. For one thing, it's difficult to get leverage (i.e. borrow to invest) from random unsteady income like this. Without leverage, it's hard to build wealth. I am in multiple million dollars of personally guaranteed debt that's securitized by assets. This is difficult to achieve with a sub $200 per hour billing rate. Secondly, the tendency to burn out from ED work leads people to think in a short-term way in terms of lifestyle design. The focus of PP is completely different and allows you to think in much longer terms, especially about equity ownership of various kinds. And this is how one achieves financial (and other types of) independence. I think other people here with equity stakes in their practices think and talk similarly.

If you really want to do this, my suggestion is to build a portfolio of offers from different organizations, and then bid them against each other in terms of compensation. In this day and age, it's often not difficult to find 10 agencies and get them each to make an offer, pick the top 2 or 3, then keep getting offers and bid them up. I would consider this to be a practice-building activity. You can see that I think about this completely differently vis-a-vis an employee of an organization. Practice building involves gathering the data of a particular market, engaging alterations of your product and services to fit that market, and then commanding the highest bid for your product. You can ask online for our opinions of the general structure of an offer, but without a more comprehensive survey, all of us are simply giving inaccurate impressions.

Typically people think I interview for one job, if it's a good job I'll take it. If you are an entrepreneur, you think I sell to 10 customers get 5 contracts, and drop 3. Then sell 10 more. I would encourage every psychiatrist who wants to be wealthy to think more like an entrepreneur.
Thanks for your thoughts, they are helpful.

I have put together a variety of jobs for similar reasons - my income isn't tied to one particular role. I should make around 800k this year without feeling overworked in the slightest. I particularly look for jobs where I can "double dip" or leave when the work is done and then do something else. This ED gig felt like something I could do while I was at home, doing some outpatient mixed in. It would be a once a week thing to add another ~200k to my income. It would never be a full time gig, and like you mentioned, I don't want to be beholden to any one particular job or boss. I'm not sure if this type of set up is an alternate means of building wealth, and I've only been at it for ~6 months, but it feels like it's a steady path to wealth creation in that I'm currently saving something like ~25k a month.

Last edited:
Meh I used to d/c this all the time unless they were a referral from their outpatient psychiatrist or something. Liability is actually pretty low if you've got parents stating they're comfortable monitoring the kid at home, esp if nobody is willing to sign voluntary. Then you're essentially saying neither parents NOR patient have capacity and you need to involuntarily admit over both their objections, which is a pretty high threshold to hit esp if the parents now try to challenge the involuntary hold.
Way more common for parents to WANT the kid admitted in my experience and me not wanting to admit them than the other way around.

This is very state dependent though. For instance, in the state I did fellowship this came up fairly frequently because age cutoff was 18yo, so if parents didn't agree you were admitting involuntary over everyones objections. In my current state, cutoff is 14yo so can easily admit if over 14yo and the patient agrees to admission even if parents don't.

After a lengthy interview, I involuntarily forced admission with police intervention. Child admitted plan to complete suicide once parent fell asleep. It was detailed. Child would have consented to admission if old enough. That consult took forever.

Those cases are very high risk. In my state this gets reported as acute med neglect and is handled legally. If you discharge a pediatric patient endorsing active SI without a documented case number for acute neglect and something happens to the child, regardless of what a parent would say in the moment, you have lost the lawsuit before it even starts. Usually protective custody/legal involvement changes a parent's tune, but not always.

How long are you all, for example, spending on a case where someone comes to the ED brought by their family for suicidality, and is then brought to the psych ED where they deny suicidality, and you have to call their family?
I'll give you an irl example from last month:

Patient brought to the ER by EMS after family called because patient took some pills while drunk after an argument with family. Patient seen in ER the next morning (~12 hours after coming to ER), sober and now completely euthymic, denying SI or any psych and regretful of behaviors the night before. Patient reports they had been doing well, no major concerns before the argument and getting drunk. Admits they have a problem when they drink, but only drinks 1-2x per week. Wants outpatient resources including treatment for AUD and psych, willing and able to safety plan pretty well, and future-oriented wanting to d/c to go to work the next day and attend a family event. One previous suicide attempt with inpatient admission 3-4 years earlier while intoxicated after a major life event (think death of family member, divorce, etc) which is confirmed on chart review. Staff attempted to call family x3 (including myself once) for collateral but no response. Patient refusing inpatient admission, but wants all the other resources. I could attempt to invol, but based on this would not be upheld in my state d/t events occurring while intoxicated with return to normal baseline while sober (problem cannot be solely d/t influence of substances). Plan to d/c with resources and strong documentation. This whole process took about an hour including talking to ER staff, psych ER nurses, patient, and solid documentation for discharge and reason they didn't meet invol criteria. Then family showed up...

They didn't speak English, so we needed a translator. Turns out, patient had been showing signs of depression for weeks and made suicidal statements to multiple family members including using a vehicle with their toddler in the car. Became physical with a family member at one point earlier that week and 2 weeks earlier had the police called by family because they were out of control and ran away from the residence before police showed up. Patient had a questionable psychotic/bipolar disorder (no recent psychosis, but had a discrete episode they never got treatment for a year or two earlier) and recent behavior had gotten bad enough that family was consider taking out a restraining order. Patient continued to refuse admission and invol was initiated based on family reports.

If family hadn't shown up and given collateral, we would have discharged the patient based on what we knew. If patient left and killed themselves and their toddler, it could have been disastrous for everyone. With good documentation of reasoning and attempts to obtain collateral, we probably would have been okay from a legal standpoint. However, if this were telehealth I could see this getting shredded, especially if the telehealth doc (or in person doc) doesn't get back on to speak with family and change their decision. Overall this whole process (including documentation) took around 3 hours. Could probably have been completed in 2 hours if I had been more "efficient", but felt it was necessary to answer family's questions given the severity of what had been going on.

How long are you spending on someone who claims SI with AH and has a ton of prior inpatient admissions and hx homelessness and can’t list more than 1-2 aggravating factors including homelessness?
Depends on the situation and how much we have documented from previous visits. Sometimes we have patients who have been admitted so many times to so many different facilities that no hospitals within a 3 hour radius will accept them which can get messy. I certainly have patients that sit in our ER for 2-3 days trying to figure out how we can safely d/c them or get them accepted and I will see them as follow-ups after initial eval. We also have frequent flyers where I can get the eval and note done in 20 minutes because it's the same presentation 3x or more per month, but most of the time our nurses and ER docs take care of those without me being consulted.

How long for someone brought to psych for paranoia/psychosis from being high weed who got prns and spent several hours waiting in the behavioral ed for the psych eval?
Highly variable and dependent on how disorganized they are, but usually these are quite a bit shorter. If really disorganized and unable to participate could be a couple minutes, but then will have to be seen again later as state won't accept an invol on these people unless they're still psychotic 24 hours after last reported use. If they sober up and are linear/organized but still hallucinating they can leave unless they're demanding inpatient. Either way those are quicker as the liability/risk is typically lower and usually less assessment is necessary.

My issues with this job:

1. youre paid per consult, so youre motivated to take any consult, no matter how BS it is, giving the hospital system control over you, because they know you have to see consults to get paid

2. Whether youre seeing patients or not, youre still "working". youre not able to go to a movie during your shift, so that is your time that you are giving to them in the form of access to care. That access to care isnt being valued

3. If its 1.5 consults per shift at that rate, why cant they just offer 374,000 a year with an rvu bonus? Youre still on the clock during your shift and it ensures you get paid. Youre not a used car salesmen, having the ability to consult an on call specialist is its own marketable value, as its your own personal time. Time has a value, IMO.

4. What if you have a bad week with a low number of consults? personally with me i would be pretty anxious if that happens. I like knowning there are guarantees in place. Again, time should be valued.

Last point is especially valid with ER work and big reason I sidestepped with my role recently. Some days you'll walk in to 5+ new consults waiting for you. I also had a week where I saw 3 patients total and had 3 days in a row without a patient. Unless an ER is moderate to high volume and is short-staffed there's no guarantee for work. If there is, there's going to be other problems along the way.

Those cases are very high risk. In my state this gets reported as acute med neglect and is handled legally. If you discharge a pediatric patient endorsing active SI without a documented case number for acute neglect and something happens to the child, regardless of what a parent would say in the moment, you have lost the lawsuit before it even starts. Usually protective custody/legal involvement changes a parent's tune, but not always.

After a lengthy interview, I involuntarily forced admission with police intervention. Child admitted plan to complete suicide once parent fell asleep. It was detailed. Child would have consented to admission if old enough. That consult took forever.

Guys there are all kinds of nuances to this situation and yeah I did ED evals too. There are all sorts of flavors to "SI with plan" that fall in between "I need to involuntarily admit this teenager over everyone's objection". Active SI? A decent percentage of my outpatient intakes have "active SI" sometime recently.

If I'm not feeling the parents are reliable enough or this is so acute I need to involuntarily admit over parental objection, then I've done it but that was usually something like admitted medically for suicide attempt or presenting to the ED s/p suicide attempt. SI is like my least favorite thing to admit for anyway but that's a whole different thing.

@TexasPhysician sounds like something I would have probably had to admit too and sounds like the pain in the butt it would have been. I think your hand is kinda forced if the kid won't back off that they're going to kill themselves after the parents go to sleep or something but if it was a situation where the kid comes in, says they had active SI/plan whatever and then changes their tune at some point in the ER along with the parents feeling comfortable supervising them, I'd have little problem d/c'ing that.

This is absolutely less risky than discharging an adult with SI from the ED because you have clear collateral sources agreeing to closely monitor and supervise the patient. Again, the actual risk in these evaluations is when you haven't documented or done a thorough eval and justified your decision making.

For instance, it's much more "high risk" just from a statistical standpoint to discharge a middle aged white male with access to firearms and no good home support system who drinks every now and then even if he doesn't technically meet involuntary criteria because he presented for passive SI than the above case.

Last edited:
All the stuff about risk is there, but seriously...don't take pay per consult jobs. C/L, including in the ED, should be salaried. This is not a money maker for hospitals, pretty much ever. Instead, you save them money through reducing length of stays. Getting paid per consult creates all sorts of havoc with this dynamic.

Reactions: 5 users
All the stuff about risk is there, but seriously...don't take pay per consult jobs. C/L, including in the ED, should be salaried. This is not a money maker for hospitals, pretty much ever. Instead, you save them money through reducing length of stays. Getting paid per consult creates all sorts of havoc with this dynamic.
Agree to agree to agree

Interesting. Although I agree that the pay in this specific job posted above is too low, I've said before I'd back up a per-consult model cause so many of the consults I've had to do were complete BS. If you get paid per consult at least if they throw a BS consult on you, you get paid for it.

Different systems, different dynamics, not all payment schedules work in all situations. Just that my conundrum in every hospital I've worked in was more than half the consults I had to do were complete BS and a waste of time.

Yeah, there are a lot of BS consults, but you're salaried...so what else are you going to do during the day? Heck of a lot better than essentially not being paid to be on call for pay per consult. And ultimately C/L consults are about treating the team more than the patient. From that perspective, there's always an opportunity for education even with the absolute worst and most pointless of consults.

Yeah, there are a lot of BS consults, but you're salaried...so what else are you going to do during the day? Heck of a lot better than essentially not being paid to be on call for pay per consult. And ultimately C/L consults are about treating the team more than the patient. From that perspective, there's always an opportunity for education even with the absolute worst and most pointless of consults.

What would a doc do? They push back and get the bs consult cancelled. Happened all the time at the places I rotated at in residency and med school where consult docs were salaried. There’s no incentive to see the patients when you get paid either way. There goes extra billing from an admin standpoint…so admins and the consulting docs aren’t happy. If it’s a high volume position, nothing stopping admins from trying to push you to see more patients, which was what happened at a couple places where I was looking into consult positions. No thanks.

My contract I get paid by RVU production, so typically billing 90792 or 99231-33. Per patient pay is fine as long as certain criteria are met: number of patients is adequate to maintain a base pay, pay/pt is a fair or solid rate (RVUs billed vs straight cash /consult mitigates variations in complexity), and getting adequate time and resources to do the job well and mitigate risk.

For OP’s position or really any “on-call” type position I’d prefer an hourly rate. Salary with production bonus would be fine too, but imo straight salary is just asking to be abused by admins. Only time I think straight salary would be warranted is if the position is mostly admin/liaison work with minimal actual consults.

What would a doc do? They push back and get the bs consult cancelled. Happened all the time at the places I rotated at in residency and med school where consult docs were salaried. There’s no incentive to see the patients when you get paid either way. There goes extra billing from an admin standpoint…so admins and the consulting docs aren’t happy. If it’s a high volume position, nothing stopping admins from trying to push you to see more patients, which was what happened at a couple places where I was looking into consult positions. No thanks.

My contract I get paid by RVU production, so typically billing 90792 or 99231-33. Per patient pay is fine as long as certain criteria are met: number of patients is adequate to maintain a base pay, pay/pt is a fair or solid rate (RVUs billed vs straight cash /consult mitigates variations in complexity), and getting adequate time and resources to do the job well and mitigate risk.

For OP’s position or really any “on-call” type position I’d prefer an hourly rate. Salary with production bonus would be fine too, but imo straight salary is just asking to be abused by admins. Only time I think straight salary would be warranted is if the position is mostly admin/liaison work with minimal actual consults.
In a lot of ways you’re right.

I think we are starting to mix C/L and ED jobs in the discussion though. In many places that’s a single job. Yet the op was more talking about delineated ED-only jobs. In an ED only job I’d prefer straight salary or per diem/hour over a pay per consult model. I want flexibility to take time on high risk or high complexity consults without feeling time crunch to cut corners.

• Love

And then, three days later, the children's mother becomes depressed the kid was taken from her and commits suicide. Child sues you for $200 million and Netflix makes a series about you.

My point here is that things can always go wrong in multiple ways and that is life. I think a lot of people here are too anxious regarding lawsuits, even tho the rate is not even that high. This is unrelated to the OPs job offer tho.

And then, three days later, the children's mother becomes depressed the kid was taken from her and commits suicide. Child sues you for $200 million and Netflix makes a series about you.

My point here is that things can always go wrong in multiple ways and that is life. I think a lot of people here are too anxious regarding lawsuits, even tho the rate is not even that high. This is unrelated to the OPs job offer tho.
Oh come on, this nonsense that being hospitalized for 5 days is the cause of a child (or parent's) psychopathology is just utter rubbish. We are required by law to hospitalize patient's who have acute SI as a result of mental illness, it's literally the job. That's not being anxious, it's upholding the ethical, legal, and professional requirements of work. I just saw a patient yesterday who was 100% convinced that the school flagging her google search on how to OD saved her life by getting her into the ED.

Oh come on, this nonsense that being hospitalized for 5 days is the cause of a child (or parent's) psychopathology is just utter rubbish. We are required by law to hospitalize patient's who have acute SI as a result of mental illness, it's literally the job. That's not being anxious, it's upholding the ethical, legal, and professional requirements of work. I just saw a patient yesterday who was 100% convinced that the school flagging her google search on how to OD saved her life by getting her into the ED.

I agree with you. My point being is that anything, even the right thing, can get you sued. I was referring to a real cause by the way.

I agree with you. My point being is that anything, even the right thing, can get you sued. I was referring to a real cause by the way.
Just because anything can happen does not mean we should move through the world expecting all unlikely things to be equally likely to happen. Yes you can get lung cancer having never been exposed to smoke/carcinogens (I lost a mentor this way), but that does not mean that you might as well smoke anyway. Doing the right thing clearly lowers the risk of both being sued, but more importantly in losing the lawsuit or being forced to settle/placed on the registry. It's a probabilistic world, we're all just living in it.

Just because anything can happen does not mean we should move through the world expecting all unlikely things to be equally likely to happen. Yes you can get lung cancer having never been exposed to smoke/carcinogens (I lost a mentor this way), but that does not mean that you might as well smoke anyway. Doing the right thing clearly lowers the risk of both being sued, but more importantly in losing the lawsuit or being forced to settle/placed on the registry. It's a probabilistic world, we're all just living in it.

You're equating doing the "right thing" (whatever that means) and the "cover your butt" thing.

What is actually the least likely thing to happen here is that a patient in that situation goes home and actually kills themselves sometime within a timeframe which you might actually be held liable for this. It's even less likely that a bad outcome occurs AND the parents try to sue you for it (as they would be the ones with standing for a suit) AFTER agreeing to take the kid home. That is actually far and away the statistically least likely thing to occur here, no matter what they say in the ER. The comparison between smoking and lung cancer isn't even close.