Sports Science Major...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPS100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone ,

I was just wondering, I'm a sports science major, is this a sufficient enough field to pursue PT? or should it be Biology, Chem. or something of that sort?

Also, is it necessary to have all your pre-reqs complete before applying?

Last Question...Whats the recommended average to get it ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone ,

I was just wondering, I'm a sports science major, is this a sufficient enough field to pursue PT? or should it be Biology, Chem. or something of that sort?

Also, is it necessary to have all your pre-reqs complete before applying?

Last Question...Whats the recommended average to get it ?

Sports science? What's that? Do you mean kinesiology? I'm a kines major. Anything science related is a good foundation for pursuing PT. Depending on the school, you may need all the pre-reqs completed since the PTCAS calculates your GPA, but there may be something to where you can input the pre-reqs you plan on taking in the upcoming semesters. And the average to get in? Nobody can really answer that. Be well rounded, have good/decent grades, decent GRE, and show schools you want to be a PT.

I was a Sports Science major. At my school, it is equivalent to a Kinesiology major commonly seen at other universities. So far, it's given me a really good foundation in PT school. Basically, you can get your bachelor's degree in anything and apply to PT school, just as long as you've taken the required pre-requisite classes. However, being a bio, sports science, or kines major will help a lot in PT school.

As long as you take the pre-reqs for PT school, your major doesn't really matter that much. But I would say that is a good major to have.