Specialization and Deployment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxAnn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is a naive question, but I was wondering if specialization would lessen, increase, or be a non-factor in whether a military dentist would deploy or not? Would the Navy have a need for an oral surgeon on a carrier or ship? Would the Army need an endodontist in the Persian Gulf? I am just wondering what others think about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe this is a naive question, but I was wondering if specialization would lessen, increase, or be a non-factor in whether a military dentist would deploy or not? Would the Navy have a need for an oral surgeon on a carrier or ship? Would the Army need an endodontist in the Persian Gulf? I am just wondering what others think about this.

I think general dentists and OMFS get deployed more than other specialties. Navy sends dentists on ships and to support marine soldiers on the ground. OMFS from the navy--I'm not certain what role they play. I have talked to multiple OMFS who have been deployed to Iraq and they have phenomenal reports of the surgery and variety of things they get to see and do. I had three of them tell me it was the greatest professional experience with a high degree of personal satisfaction. In the AF they have about 8-10 OMFS who have requested to go to Iraq....

I guess it would be great experience in Iraq, but it sounds like those folks who are requesting to go over there might be trying to get promoted or something. In either case, deployment is just a matter of time in most instances. You just have to do it.