Specialities for lazy people wanting relaxed 8-5 job (serious)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
fig15.jpg

There's certainly a good number of dermatologists that see far fewer patients though. 42% of dermatologists see less than 100 patients a week., and a quarter of dermatologists see 75 or fewer. Not that any of this matters- a slacker like OP won't get into derm to begin with.

The people who see fewer patients are the ones who work fewer days/week. When at work, the pace is absolutely not "leisurely", which is evidently very important to the OP. Were he willing to sacrifice this stipulation, many other aspects of Dermatology practice lend itself to a a good lifestyle as we all know.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Every ambulatory only job is by definition mommy track, every fee for service office based job is as well. Many larger groups are comfortable with some mommy track because they will never be partners and will likely bill more then they cost. They also offer coverage when the majority of the work is done before the late and/or call team takes over. My academic job, and others I've had and interviewed at offer a no 1st 2nd or 3rd call option, often taken by elder statesmen and those with sugar mamas/daddies at home. They may be late a few times a month, but they're always out by 6, usually before 4. Of course you make less than the full partners/faculty.
It is not a unicorn.

A hire should never be evaluated just as to whether the person generates more than they cost. The analysis is, does this person not only generate more than they cost, but also generate more than someone else I can get. In the case of part time this never pans out because per hour overhead is lower for someone who works more hours and someone who works more hours generates more gross income. The reason mommy tracks exist is because some people are great employees and having them half the time is better than losing them to family obligations. And this is less common than is described on SDN, because, as mentioned, part timers mean less profit. OP probably can't sell this as his angle anyhow. Thus a unicorn.

... But I do agree with you that I might not find a job that 100%, EXACTLY meets my criteria...and this is OK with me. 180K instead of 200k? No problem. Most days 8-5, but occasionally stay till 6 to wrap thing up/accommodate an unforeseen event? No worries. As long as things don't deviate TOO MUCH from my original criteria.

Well then it all depends on what "too much" is. If you are, in fact, flexible on hours, weekends, call, salary, then you are golden. You can have a nice salary and work a lot of hours. You can find jobs at the weekly hours and salary you want but lots of call. And so on. What you won't find is the 8-5 no call high salary job you are describing. Unless you open up shop and create it. But that's sometimes hard work in and of itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
It has to be per year. 24 hours in a day = 720 hours in a 30 day month.

Even still that's a depressing way to look at it as a surgeon haha. I work one month more per year on average than a PCP!

Not just one month... but one month (+) without sleep for vascular surgery. Full time work is 160 hours per month. If that is accurate, then a vascular surgeon could be working 5 months more than a PCP in terms of FTEs.

Reactions: 1 users
VA jobs are tough to get because they are regarded as a lifestyle friendly gig

Not according to the psych forum. Many posts over the past several years have talked about VA jobs. I realize that you have something to contribute to every topic, but in this case, I think I'll defer to actual psychiatrists practicing in the field we're discussing.

Ha, this is exactly what I was thinking...easy to get in, easy to stay in, easy once you get out :). And they both seem to fit my working style and personal preferences pretty well.

Yeah and both will pretty much get you 200-250k with a few more years > 300k. I don't think that's a bad deal at all if lifestyle is what matters the most.

Take call as in actually go in to the hospital to do admissions? I'd say that's unusual. Taking call is usually over the phone in private practice. The hospital does admissions and whoever is on call has to round on the patient the next morning.

In most cases, hospital shift means you round on the patients, not that you get up and go to the hospital at 11 p.m. on a Saturday night to do an admission.

Sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't depending on the specific situation. Either way they're doing work on the weekend which is the whole point.

I know. That's what I said.

Sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't depending on the specific situation. Either way they're doing work on the weekend which is the whole point.

I know. That's what I said.

Where are you getting this? I'm at least talking on the basis of doing several psych rotations (including two months at community hospitals and one outpatient experience) and matching into psych. Where are you getting your information? I'm really curious as I've never known this to be the case.

The inpatient psych wards I'm familiar with either have residents working overnight or NPs. I have yet to see an attending in private practice come in to admit a patient in the middle of the night.

Why did this thread turn into everyone attacking OP? Also I'm surprised no one suggested OP go into academics. Most academic physicians have easier work schedules (although they may have the occasional call schedule) than in PP. The only problem is that you're not making nearly as much as you would if you worked PP. I guess people didn't focus on that because they think OP is lazy and wouldn't qualify for one of those positions, but they're out there, and it sounds like what you're looking for OP

Not according to the psych forum. Many posts over the past several years have talked about VA jobs. I realize that you have something to contribute to every topic, but in this case, I think I'll defer to actual psychiatrists practicing in the field we're discussing.

That's fine. But with the following caveat --are they actually applying to such jobs or playing the "they are easy to get, I know a guy..." game. The guys IN practice usually know LESS than the guys coming out of residency and interviewing, in terms of what other places are hiring/offering. It's just not usually on your radar if it's not something you are presently contemplating. So unless you find the guy who just applied to the VA and can say "here's what they told me" I think its not per se better info. But sure, defer to whomever you want, everyone gets an opinion, and it's all going to be worth exactly what you are paying.

That's fine. But with the following caveat --are they actually applying to such jobs or playing the "they are easy to get, I know a guy..." game. The guys IN practice usually know LESS than the guys coming out of residency and interviewing, in terms of what other places are hiring/offering. It's just not usually on your radar if it's not something you are presently contemplating. So unless you find the guy who just applied to the VA and can say "here's what they told me" I think its not per se better info. But sure, defer to whomever you want, everyone gets an opinion, and it's all going to be worth exactly what you are paying.

They're people actually interviewing and/or looking at the jobs. Not all job hunters are fresh out of residency. Either way, I feel confident in saying they know a bit more than you do about the field and opportunities offered. That isn't meant to be offensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm biased towards psych but it's hard to believe someone who wasn't passionate about helping people with mental illness could be any good.

Seriously. Sure, it wasn't difficult to match into, but working with this population is not easy and presents its own challenges. I also certainly don't want to be the psychiatrist whose patient massacred everyone because I missed something.

Edit: The above statement is in the context of an inpatient psych ward or state psych hospital environment

Last edited:
Where are you getting this? I'm at least talking on the basis of doing several psych rotations (including two months at community hospitals and one outpatient experience) and matching into psych. Where are you getting your information? I'm really curious as I've never known this to be the case.

The inpatient psych wards I'm familiar with either have residents working overnight or NPs. I have yet to see an attending in private practice come in to admit a patient in the middle of the night.

at the hospital I'm at, there are psych attendings at least technically on call from home every night and coming in and rounding at some point every weekend. Whether they have to come in at night depends on whether their residents can handle things. But there's an attending listed on call for that specialty via our paging system every night. That's sort of part of working in a hospital, I think. There's really no such thing as a resident without attending support/backup at some level in any specialty anymore.

at the hospital I'm at, there are psych attendings at least technically on call from home every night and coming in and rounding at some point every weekend. Whether they have to come in at night depends on whether their residents can handle things. But there's an attending listed on call for that specialty via our paging system every night. That's sort of part of working in a hospital, I think. There's really no such thing as a resident without attending support/backup at some level in any specialty anymore.

Yes, which is what I said several posts ago. They are on call from home and they round on the weekends. They do not come in do admissions. No one said hospital psychiatrists would never be on call over the weekend. The question was whether or not they'd come in on a Saturday night to admit every suicidal patient.

They're people actually interviewing and/or looking at the jobs. Not all job hunters are fresh out of residency. Either way, I feel confident in saying they know a bit more than you do about the field and opportunities offered. That isn't meant to be offensive.

I'm sure you know more than me, that's fine. but probably there's a few things you think you know that you'll soon find are very different than you initially thought.

I think the further along you go you get a better appreciation that there aren't that many jobs out there where they let you set your own hours and pay you dearly. Some fields are better than others but there's a certain awakening that will come when you realize employers are hiring people to make THEM money, and nobody makes money on you without working you harder than the worth they are paying.

...The question was whether or not they'd come in on a Saturday night to admit every suicidal patient.

If a resident calls and says "I need help" at 2 am on a Saturday night, then yes they are coming in. If the resident says "I've got this", then no. So it's a matter of how complicated the cases are and the volume of cases.

Why did this thread turn into everyone attacking OP? Also I'm surprised no one suggested OP go into academics. Most academic physicians have easier work schedules (although they may have the occasional call schedule) than in PP. The only problem is that you're not making nearly as much as you would if you worked PP. I guess people didn't focus on that because they think OP is lazy and wouldn't qualify for one of those positions, but they're out there, and it sounds like what you're looking for OP

OP already said he/she is absolutely not interested in research.

there's a certain awakening that will come when you realize employers are hiring people to make THEM money,

Law2Doc is spot on. Many fellow millenials dont have this thinking and get shocked when they work in the real world.

OP already said he/she is absolutely not interested in research.

Most people in medical school have no interest in research, they just do it because they want to check a box.

That said, if he works PP in primary care then why couldn't he do a 9-5? All the family med docs I ever went to worked 4 days a week from 8-5, and if he's willing to sacrifice living in a big city I don't see why he couldn't do that.

I'm sure you know more than me, that's fine. but probably there's a few things you think you know that you'll soon find are very different than you initially thought

I'm not going by what *I* know. I'm going by what PSYCH attendings say about PSYCHIATRY, a field that is not yours. I know it's radical of me to choose to go by their insight into the field than yours, but that's the way I roll.

I think the further along you go you get a better appreciation that there aren't that many jobs out there where they let you set your own hours and pay you dearly. Some fields are better than others but there's a certain awakening that will come when you realize employers are hiring people to make THEM money, and nobody makes money on you without working you harder than the worth they are paying.

When did I say that there are a ton of jobs where you set your own hours and you get paid dearly? Please let me know. You don't need to educate me on real life in the real world as I had many years of that prior to med school.

If a resident calls and says "I need help" at 2 am on a Saturday night, then yes they are coming in. If the resident says "I've got this", then no. So it's a matter of how complicated the cases are and the volume of cases.

Yes, and attendings will go in from time to time for the truly strange stuff, but that isn't what we were talking about. If you want to twist the subject to meet the threshold of "I'm right, you're wrong," sure, go for it. But the topic was alpinism's assertion that when your patient attempts suicide, you have to go in to admit them, no matter when it is.

Law2Doc is spot on. Many fellow millenials dont have this thinking and get shocked when they work in the real world.

Considering I'm not a millenial, I'd say neither of you are spot in when addressing me. But thanks anyway.

I'm not going by what *I* know. I'm going by what PSYCH attendings say about PSYCHIATRY, a field that is not yours. I know it's radical of me to choose to go by their insight into the field than yours, but that's the way I roll.

When did I say that there are a ton of jobs where you set your own hours and you get paid dearly? Please let me know. You don't need to educate me on real life in the real world as I had many years of that prior to med school.

Yes, and attendings will go in from time to time for the truly strange stuff, but that isn't what we were talking about. If you want to twist the subject to meet the threshold of "I'm right, you're wrong," sure, go for it. But the topic was alpinism's assertion that when your patient attempts suicide, you have to go in to admit them, no matter when it is.

Considering I'm not a millenial, I'd say neither of you are spot in when addressing me. But thanks anyway.

Woah dude chill. You're like flipping out here.

Why are you surprised by this? At least two of the fields that meet the OP's requirements have pretty laid back residencies at most programs. I clocked 43 hours last week as a psych intern. Granted, the off-service months are much more demanding, but once you finish your medicine months, the psych months aren't bad.

I agree the OP will likely have to make compromises. That said, I've heard that there actually are some psych VA jobs that offer no weekend/night call. My friend's father used to work one of these jobs.

I'm just surprised there are programs where residents work less than 50 hours weeks regularly. I thought pretty much all programs were relatively high stress.

Woah dude chill. You're like flipping out here.

Not really flipping out. In fact, I'm not even angry. Sorry if that's how my tone came across. I just get annoyed when people repeatedly post like they're the authority on everything in the world, even in fields that aren't their own.

I'm just surprised there are programs where residents work less than 50 hours weeks regularly. I thought pretty much all programs were relatively high stress.

Nope. The off-service months are rough, but the on-service months are great. This may be somewhat program-dependent though. I'm sure there are some programs that work harder than others, but most programs I know about are relatively laid back. I think the laxed hours is probably true of PM&R too, given what the residents on SDN say.

Seriously. Sure, it wasn't difficult to match into, but working with this population is not easy and presents its own challenges. I also certainly don't want to be the psychiatrist whose patient massacred everyone because I missed something.

Edit: The above statement is in the context of an inpatient psych ward or state psych hospital environment

Those people have the best stories!

I think people are overestimating how many weekends/call most psychiatrists have. I think like 80% of psychiatrists are outpatient and at a lot of academic programs the outpatient psychiatrists help cover inpatient weekend rounds, so all the attendings work a couple weekends a year because there are like 5 times as many psychiatrists available to cover weekends as inpatient teams and on weekend each psychiatrist rounding rounds on 2 teams. At other programs, real attendings almost never round weekends because non-acgme research fellows or sub specialty fellows can cover weekends to make more money

Just my n=1 observations from psych and EM rotations.

Like I said this is in places with no residents.

Apparently I'm not the only one:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/lifestyle-of-a-psychiatrist.326760/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/why-isnt-psychiatry-more-competitive.843361/

The first thread is from 2006 and still doesn't negate anything I said.

The second thread is from pre-allo with pre-pharmacy students weighing in. Not exactly what I'd cite if I was trying to prove a point. lol.

Anyway, I've already weighed in and I'm pretty much done. The OP can wade through the debate and research it further.

Concierge medicine. That's the direction general med is going now. Pts are tired of waiting room times and PCP cant accommodate the demand. Not to mention Obamacare. You get to pick the kind of contract you make with your pt, "rules"....like whether or not you will take phones calls after a certain time at night....but since your pt population is much smaller than Fam Med, the chances of you getting a late call are slim. No hassle w Insurance. You make your own schedule and if you join a group then the vacay time is flexable too. There is less overhead bc you don't need nurses or front desk staff. Depending on your marketing skills, area of practice and business model u can bank $200k-limitless. The median 20% make $220k. Plus your pt will appreciate your time.

Around here these are exclusively staffed by NPs. And they don't earn anything close to $200k. And they take turns staffing the weekend shifts. Doesn't fit what OP described at all.

Yeah,
I know. I'm just sarcastically making the point of the reality of finding a job that the OP wants in medicine.

Concierge medicine. That's the direction general med is going now. Pts are tired of waiting room times and PCP cant accommodate the demand. Not to mention Obamacare. You get to pick the kind of contract you make with your pt, "rules"....like whether or not you will take phones calls after a certain time at night....but since your pt population is much smaller than Fam Med, the chances of you getting a late call are slim. No hassle w Insurance. You make your own schedule and if you join a group then the vacay time is flexable too. There is less overhead bc you don't need nurses or front desk staff. Depending on your marketing skills, area of practice and business model u can bank $200k-limitless. The median 20% make $220k. Plus your pt will appreciate your time.

I have previously pointed out that concierge medicine only works if you are the only one in a relatively affluent market doing it because very few people are willing to pay outside of their insurance and if more than 1-2 guys offer this service in a region they usually all go bankrupt. I've worked on some of these bankruptcies as a lawyer -- it's not really a viable long term business plan, although it sounds great to SDNers.

But part of the whole selling point of concierge medicine is you have to give your patients more, not less, access to you. That's what they are paying the up front premium for. As much access as they need, whenever they need it. They aren't going to mess with schedulers and wait for appointments - they can get that through any PCP. Meaning instead of having a very scheduled life, a patient gets to call you at 2 am Saturday night if he needs you. That's kind of the exact opposite of what OP wants.

I'm sure you know more than me, that's fine. but probably there's a few things you think you know that you'll soon find are very different than you initially thought.

Psych is certainly the exception to the rule though- more than half of psych docs are cash-only and either solo (largest group of psych physicians) or in a two-person group (significantly smaller minority). If you're working for yourself and only taking cash, it makes it pretty easy to set your hours as 8-5 and only take call in the rarest of rare cases, particularly if you're working with a mostly stable and affluent population. Couple that with a lack of EMR and minimal paperwork, and psych is about the closest thing to what the op is looking for, specialty-wise.

Concierge physicians generally take 24/7 call for their patients, as a rule. That's part of the tradeoff- you get to set your own rates and not deal with insurance, but the few patients you have as clientele have virtually unlimited access to you. Sure, most won't call, but that's different than never getting called- you'll almost certainly field a few off-hour calls per week, which substantially limits your out-of-work activities if you don't have a partner or group to split call duties with.

Psych is certainly the exception to the rule though- more than half of psych docs are cash-only and either solo (largest group of psych physicians) or in a two-person group (significantly smaller minority). If you're working for yourself and only taking cash, it makes it pretty easy to set your hours as 8-5 and only take call in the rarest of rare cases, particularly if you're working with a mostly stable and affluent population. Couple that with a lack of EMR and minimal paperwork, and psych is about the closest thing to what the op is looking for, specialty-wise.

the question becomes then, can the OP handle psych? Considered it in my brief my pre-med days but figured I wasnt cut out for it when I extensively shadowed a psychiatrist, some people really underestimate what kind of patients psychiatrists see.

Concierge physicians generally take 24/7 call for their patients, as a rule. That's part of the tradeoff- you get to set your own rates and not deal with insurance, but the few patients you have as clientele have virtually unlimited access to you. Sure, most won't call, but that's different than never getting called- you'll almost certainly field a few off-hour calls per week, which substantially limits your out-of-work activities if you don't have a partner or group to split call duties with.

Anecdotally, where I am now the concierge patients are very high maintenance and are incredibly needy and hypochondriacal. Quite a few are hardly wealthy but will splurge at the opportunity to have their docs cell phone on speed dial. As an intern I worked with a few concierge patients (different city/state/region of US) in the ICU that seemed to be reasonable. Regardless, it's a small sample size but enough for me to see if you go that route you better make them pay, or screen patients somehow. One of the concierge docs showed me the 14 emails he received over 4 hours frantically needing to hear back from him because I switched her antibiotic after culture and sensitivity grew on her urine.....this after a painstaking 30 minute conversation by me to the patient. Another refused her meds by the nurse and wanted me to hand out her meds overnight, absolutely infuriating. I refused of course.

You can always be a TV host. Look how loved they are by society :)

Law2Doc, the psych attendings you see on the call schedule are... the ones who take call. For all you know there could be (and almost certainly are) numerous additional psychiatrists in your immediate area that do NOT take any kind of inpatient or consultation/liaison call. You might be very insistent that no purely 8-5 gigs exist in psychiatry, but I'll tell you as someone with family members in the field as well as friends in psychiatry programs, that those gigs DO exist and that they're not particularly unusual. Most outpatient psychiatrists have zero inpatient pysch component. The facilities in every area I've been in have their own inpatient guys, and if one of your patients gets admitted, they take care of them. Much like in internal medicine, the inpatient and outpatient work is becoming ever more compartmentalized.

You can get hospital privileges to see consults if you want... or not. There's more than enough outpatient PP work that you could in many, hell probably in the majority of cases.

It's the only specialty that comes to mind that could meet all of the OP's "requirements", and your insistence otherwise is just purely showing ignorance of the feeling.

Can anyone else confirm if the above depiction of FM/Psych is true? Do FM docs really spend 2-3 hours after work every evenings on paperwork and other followup work?

I do outpatient family medicine and my average day is 8:00 to 4-5 pm, I do not bring home work. I do my paperwork in between patients, at lunch, and when patients no show. It would be very hard to finish your paperwork/review labs and studies/see patients and not be running around in a frenzy.

My FM residency also averaged 60-80 hours a week, but this is residency depedent.

First off, I'm sure this post will be met with many people saying "don't go into medicine", "you won't be a good doctor", "troll", etc. etc. If this is you, do us both a favor and keep moving. I'm not a troll and am seriously wanting some input.

I'm an M1 and am starting to think about specialities. Here are the specifications of my ideal speciality:
1. A consistent 8-5 job
2. When I finish up at 5 and come home, I prefer to be DONE. No more filling out paperwork, no more answering phone calls, just totally and completely done for the day.
3. Weekends are mine. Zero job-related work.
4. Prefer a relaxed workday where I don't feel like I'm running around constantly like a chicken with my head cut off. I like taking my time and working at a more leisurely pace.
5. Prefer talking and interacting with people
6. Must not be a super-competitive speciality to get into
7. Prefer residency to be tolerable (i.e. 40-60 hours a week in the hospital)
8. Good outlook for future
9. Once I hit that 200k mark, don't really care much about salary. And I think every single medical speciality out there has the potential to pull in a 200k income. Yes, even Peds.
10. Don't want to be a Pathologist

After doing some research of my own, I think Family Medicine and Psychiatry meet these criteria. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

1. Path
2. Path
3. Path
4. Path
5. Less so path
6. Path
7. Path
8. Sorta path
9. Path (BTW, show me an Infectious Disease doc that makes over 200k)
10. Ooops

After doing some research of my own, I think Family Medicine and Psychiatry meet these criteria. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

TobiasDoctor.jpg

Perhaps you should be... an ac-tor?

First off, I'm sure this post will be met with many people saying "don't go into medicine", "you won't be a good doctor", "troll", etc. etc. If this is you, do us both a favor and keep moving. I'm not a troll and am seriously wanting some input.

I'm an M1 and am starting to think about specialities. Here are the specifications of my ideal speciality:
1. A consistent 8-5 job
2. When I finish up at 5 and come home, I prefer to be DONE. No more filling out paperwork, no more answering phone calls, just totally and completely done for the day.
3. Weekends are mine. Zero job-related work.
4. Prefer a relaxed workday where I don't feel like I'm running around constantly like a chicken with my head cut off. I like taking my time and working at a more leisurely pace.
5. Prefer talking and interacting with people
6. Must not be a super-competitive speciality to get into
7. Prefer residency to be tolerable (i.e. 40-60 hours a week in the hospital)
8. Good outlook for future
9. Once I hit that 200k mark, don't really care much about salary. And I think every single medical speciality out there has the potential to pull in a 200k income. Yes, even Peds.
10. Don't want to be a Pathologist

Thanks

I'm super surprised that radiology hasn't been mentioned more in this thread. It hits almost all of your bullets, except for 4 and (maybe) 8.

1. Consistent 8-5 job, pretty much.
2. Done once you clock out.
3. Nights/Weekends are yours, unless you’re on the call schedule. The frequency of this will depend on the hospital or group.
4. >>Workdays will NOT be relaxed, but you can work at your own pace within limits. If it takes you longer to plow through cases, you might have to stay a few more hours at the end of the day, but the impression I have is that fresh attendings are the most likely to do this while getting up to speed.
5. You’ll be talking and interacting with your professional colleagues. In addition, you'll be talking to patients in IR, mammo, fluoro, and MSK (joint injections), for what it's worth.
6. It’s not super-competitive at all. Last year it was (one of?) the least competitive.
7. Residency is tolerable: pretty much everywhere is 7:30 or 8am to 5pm, plus maybe some short call or weekend shifts. Night float months are a bit longer.
8. >>Outlook is a concern, but already things are getting better than they were a year or two ago. Realistically, nobody needs to do 2 fellowships. The very few who do, are trying to stay in a very competitive location.
9. Salary remains good, though people are working a lot harder to keep it that way.
10. It’s not pathology!

I'm super surprised that radiology hasn't been mentioned more in this thread. It hits almost all of your bullets, except for 4 and (maybe) 8.

With the exception of mammography in some centers/groups, radiology does not satisfy 1, 2, or 3. No radiology job satisfies 4.
6 and 7 are somewhat misleading.

Please do not consider radiology: radiologists with the OP's goals now spew endlessly on Aunt Minnie (and elsewhere) about how radiology tricked them and now they're forced to be real doctors.

The OP wants PMNR.

With the exception of mammography in some centers/groups, radiology does not satisfy 1, 2, or 3. No radiology job satisfies 4.
6 and 7 are somewhat misleading.

Please do not consider radiology: radiologists with the OP's goals now spew endlessly on Aunt Minnie (and elsewhere) about how radiology tricked them and now they're forced to be real doctors.

The OP wants PMNR.
It's PM and R (PM&R), not PMNR.