Special Needs Summer Volunteer/Mission Trip?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing some kind of special needs volunteer work this summer but do not know exactly where to start.

I was only able to find one camp which goes by the name of "Camp Barnabas."

It is a special needs summer camp that kids go to for one week out of the summer. However, I tried applying a few months ago and they said every single week they are booked except for the last week in August. I decided that I am not going to do that.

I kind of wanted to do this for more than a week out of my summer anyway.

I really want to do something. Are there any other camps that you guys no about. It doesn't even have to be a camp, it can be whatever. Tutoring, I don't care. I just feel like this is something that I want to do.

The reason I ask is because I am also having trouble finding anything relating to special needs in my area. There is nothing that I can find here in NJ.

I am willing to drive, pay whatever I need to. This really isn't for my college application either. I kind of just want to do it at this point.

I need some help. I apologize if I posted a thread like this because if I did, it must have been a while back. So yeah.

Members don't see this ad.

I volunteered at a camp for kids with muscular dystrophy. Search MDA camp.

Have you searched www.veryspecialneeds.com?

Also if you search something like "camp special needs yourhomestate" you should be able to find more.

In Woodbury, NJ there is a camp Sun and Fun for students who have a mental impairment. There is a camp called Tall Pines that I know of because a student with autism that I had went there, but I am not sure if it is specifically for students with autism. I am not sure if you volunteer or work there, but hopefully some of these can help.

FYI, as a former special education teacher, it is more politically correct to use Person First Language when discussing children with special needs. A lot of employers I know tend to be picky about how one addresses students who have disabilities. Good Luck with your search!!