Spay/Neuter Learning Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Honey_Bunny27

PennVet c/o 27
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm a first-year vet student and was wondering if there are any programs or clinics in the NJ/NY area that are willing to teach first-year students how to perform spay/neuters? I know about the ASPCA program down south but they only take 4th year students and I want to stay close to home this summer. Please let me know if you've had any experiences!

Members don't see this ad.

Serious question because I am interested in this. Is it legal for veterinarians to teach us how to perform spay/neuters before we reach that level in our curriculum? Like are we able to practice these skills at a clinic now that we are students even though we are just first years?

I’d definitely be interested in this if we are allowed…

Serious question because I am interested in this. Is it legal for veterinarians to teach us how to perform spay/neuters before we reach that level in our curriculum? Like are we able to practice these skills at a clinic now that we are students even though we are just first years?

I’d definitely be interested in this if we are allowed…
It's state-dependent so you'd have to look into the veterinary practice act in your state or the state you're hoping to visit. Some places it's legal even if you're not a vet student at all, as long as it's under the direct supervision of a vet. Others you have to be at a certain stage of training.

Hi all! I'm a first-year vet student and was wondering if there are any programs or clinics in the NJ/NY area that are willing to teach first-year students how to perform spay/neuters? I know about the ASPCA program down south but they only take 4th year students and I want to stay close to home this summer. Please let me know if you've had any experiences!
Related to the above, this is not actually legal in New York outside of a vet school setting. To perform surgery as a student outside of school you have to be in your 3rd year.

My reading of the New Jersey laws is that you can do it but it has to be an assigned externship-type activity authorized by an instructor at your school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
RAVS.

Was supposed to do it spring break of my first year. Which was March 2020...

Ended up going at beginning of my fourth year. Which was great! But I encourage vet students to go as early as they can. Not only will you learn the basics of spay/neuter, but you will also learn how to place a catheter and how to intubate, which at many schools are not taught on live animals (Koolaid-filled IV tubing on a rubber paw is a far cry from a real vein on a frightened animal, believe it or not!) until anesthesia rotation in 3rd or 4th year.

Applications open in early November so keep your eyes open. You pay to get yourself to the site but lodging (on my trip we were given pop-up tents that we set up inside a big school basketball court) and all meals provided. Scholarship funds are available to help with travel costs to the reservations where the trips are held (ND, SD, AZ, WA).

Reactions: 2 users
It's state-dependent so you'd have to look into the veterinary practice act in your state or the state you're hoping to visit. Some places it's legal even if you're not a vet student at all, as long as it's under the direct supervision of a vet. Others you have to be at a certain stage of training.

Related to the above, this is not actually legal in New York outside of a vet school setting. To perform surgery as a student outside of school you have to be in your 3rd year.

My reading of the New Jersey laws is that you can do it but it has to be an assigned externship-type activity authorized by an instructor at your school.
Do you know where I can find information specific to this state-by-state? Is there an overarching resource or is it variable by state?

Thank you!