Southeast DR ROL help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdsandworms

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another one...struggling with the prestige vs. fit vs location idea. My top 5 in no particular order and my impressions are:

- IU (great program, questionable city/location)
- MUSC (solid program, great city, high cost of living, residents work pretty hard)
- UVA (great name/fellowships, C-ville good outdoors/booze, high COL and univ town, work hard)
- Florida Hospital (perks are unreal, solid fellowships, unknown quality of training)
- UT Knoxville (felt like best fit with residents, near smokies, Knoxville itself not great, faculty all local)

Married, 1 newborn (which is why how hard working residency is plays a factor, but don't want that at expense of training quality), love outdoors, sports, drinking with buds, music. Looking for program that will eventually allow me to work private practice in either Gulf Coast, SE Atlantic Coast, or North Carolina region w/ MSK or Body Fellowship.

Appreciate the insight

Members don't see this ad.

Another one...struggling with the prestige vs. fit vs location idea. My top 5 in no particular order and my impressions are:

- IU (great program, questionable city/location)
- MUSC (solid program, great city, high cost of living, residents work pretty hard)
- UVA (great name/fellowships, C-ville good outdoors/booze, high COL and univ town, work hard)
- Florida Hospital (perks are unreal, solid fellowships, unknown quality of training)
- UT Knoxville (felt like best fit with residents, near smokies, Knoxville itself not great, faculty all local)

Married, 1 newborn (which is why how hard working residency is plays a factor, but don't want that at expense of training quality), love outdoors, sports, drinking with buds, music. Looking for program that will eventually allow me to work private practice in either Gulf Coast, SE Atlantic Coast, or North Carolina region w/ MSK or Body Fellowship.

Appreciate the insight

UVA stands out in terms of prestige and quality among the programs listed. Cost of living in Charlottesville is quite affordable (e.g. $1500 for a decent 2 bedroom 2 bath thats a 5 min drive from the hospital), and a good chunk of UVA residents are married with kids like you. Good MSK there as well. I'm not sure about the other programs other than MUSC (which is solid but has high COL as you said).

Working hard shouldn’t deter you from a place. It should attract you, mostly because it means you will be a confident radiologist upon graduation and won’t poo yourself when you have to read 180-220 studies in a day.

UT Knoxville is the only one that I wouldn’t go to...but that’s not from knowledge of the quality of training. It’s more because the one guy I know that trained there was really odd. He graduated, so you’re in the clear.... so maybe it is a good fit for you!

Your first three listed are how I would rank 1-3. Can’t go wrong with any of them.

No idea about Florida hospital.