Sophomore looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whoisthataltruist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey it is hard to tell where you stand because it is so early into your path.
-Get you sGPA up making sure you ace your science classes, there is no rush to space classes out as needed. You do not want to keep getting C's in your pre-reqs, you want A's with maybe a B here or there.
-Then make sure you have plenty of time to nail your MCAT making sure you give yourself plenty of time to prepare and having taken biochemistry and physiology before you study for it.
-Get some shadowing (50+ hours) with some primary care.
-As for something to do this summer it is up to you. You could take classes and continue the pattern of various volunteering with research. You could do a summer research position like SURF. Since you like kids you could look into camps for kids with chronic illnesses or disabilities, I always pitch the serious fun network to anyone who will listen because of the impact that it has had on my life. If interested feel free to message me about it. If you need some money get a job, work experience is invaluable.
-Also think about how you could pose yourself as a leader.
Think about what you are passionate about and make sure that is what you are doing.
Additionally I didn't expect to take a gap year as a sophomore and am currently in mine, and loving it. I get to do work I love while properly preparing for my MCAT. Not to say you need to take one or two years, but don't be opposed to it, there are so many great opportunities out there. And you want to be at your best when you apply.
Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You’re MCAT will determine your competitiveness. Definitely get shadowing. So far your app looks ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something you could consider too is taking biochem and aceing that to make up for Ochm score. I know its not exactly equal but it can help for sure. Joining a pre-med club might not be a bad idea either, if not for your application but to make friends. This is a long process and at times can get pretty isolating hence having comrades with similar struggles may do you well. Like the above folks have said, MCAT is going to be a big key in this, so far so good though. Shadow at least one physician and ask them about cons in the career path and job as well, best to know what you're getting yourself into.

Consider DO school too if you don't mind not having the MD title. Oversea MD schools may be risky but I've known some folks who succeeded in those.

All you need to do is shadow for at least 100 hours total, and bring your science GPA up to a 3.6ish. If you can't bring the gpa up, look into DO schools. And if you do poorly on the MCAT, look into podiatry school.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.