Sophomore, GPA Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wykwang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So my spring semester finals just got graded and my GPA trend thus far has been

(Freshman) Fall 2016: 2.961

(Freshman) Spring 2017: 3.574

(Sophomore) Fall 2017: 3.75

(Sophomore) Spring 2017: 4.00

cumulative: 3.562

Assuming I keep a pretty high GPA the next two years (around 3.85 - 3.9), and end up with a ~3.7, what tier of med schools should I be targeting? (Let's just say I have "decent" MCAT and EC's if that makes any sense lol)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! So my spring semester finals just got graded and my GPA trend thus far has been

(Freshman) Fall 2016: 2.961

(Freshman) Spring 2017: 3.574

(Sophomore) Fall 2017: 3.75

(Sophomore) Spring 2017: 4.00

cumulative: 3.562

Assuming I keep a pretty high GPA the next two years (around 3.85 - 3.9), and end up with a ~3.7, what tier of med schools should I be targeting? (Let's just say I have "decent" MCAT and EC's if that makes any sense lol)
3.7 gets you into striking distance of any medical school except maybe the Top 5 stat ***** school like Hopkins, Harvard, WashU. A 3.7 will not be what keeps you out of medical school (if you have the right list and everything else in order).

I would say you're doing well so far since you made major improvements but we would need to have actual MCAT scores in hand before trying to decide med schools.

Which med school you go to does not matter in terms of getting you to the desired residency. Just as which college doesn't really matter. It's all dependent on your work ethic and staying well-informed.