how to talk about my GPA trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulldr

Reaction score
1711588888451.png

1711588991632.png

so essentially my sophomore year my grades started falling- I had some personal issues going on but i know that adcoms doesn't like it when you talk about depression. Another thing that was going on was an undiagnosed learning disability---> Essentially i went from 20 ppl classes in HS to being homeschooled my freshman year bc of COVID to 300-level classes.

I noticed that I was doing better in my more challenging honors classes (that had a smaller class size)
And that I did better in summer classes that were “harder” bc they were more compact (but smaller) but worse in large 200+ sections where you had a whole semester to learn the material
Felt stupid bc it seemed that where my classmates were thriving I was falling behind.

Is that enough to explain my trend? Once i got my disability accommodations and the proper medications/therapy my grades shot back up. I graduated last fall so hopefully, my last 3 semesters show enough growth

Members don't see this ad.

Adcoms don't look at semester by semester GPAs. We look at year by year GPAs.

Don't explain anything unless asked.

Why didn't you take a LOA when things started going downhill?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Adcoms don't look at semester by semester GPAs. We look at year by year GPAs.

Don't explain anything unless asked.

Why didn't you take a LOA when things started going downhill?
I was on a scholarship to be able to afford school and as a first gen american- I honestly wasn't super aware taking a LOA was even an option or if I would be able to keep my financial aid

You never fell below 3.5.... I'd say there is nothing to explain, particularly if some of those lowest semesters were when you were taking o-chem.

Reactions: 1 user