(Sophomore Finished) cGPA-2.9 sGPA-2.7 MCAT-Not Taken

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raul814

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am done with my second year of undergrad and have a low GPA because of my weak work ethics and busy schedules with extracurriculars like president of an organization and RA. I was wondering if I can get into a DO School by getting good grades, like GPA greater than 3.5, and keeping up my research and getting a BPhil, Bachelor of Philosophy or Honors degree basically.

Any advice on how to turn things around would be great or how to strengthen my application. I do not want to go to a carribean school, just a DO school.

cGPA-2.9
sGPA-2.7
MCAT- Going to take next year, started studying this summer, aiming for 30.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am done with my second year of undergrad and have a low GPA because of my weak work ethics and busy schedules with extracurriculars like president of an organization and RA. I was wondering if I can get into a DO School by getting good grades, like GPA greater than 3.5, and keeping up my research and getting a BPhil, Bachelor of Philosophy or Honors degree basically.

Any advice on how to turn things around would be great or how to strengthen my application. I do not want to go to a carribean school, just a DO school.

cGPA-2.9
sGPA-2.7
MCAT- Going to take next year, started studying this summer, aiming for 30.

Thanks!
Consider retaking any classes you did poorly in, since AACOMAS only counts the most recent grade. This can repair your application GPAs quickly.

Average entering DO students have stats of 3.47/3.36/MCAT 26.49. These numbers are your goals, though lower numbers might do. If necessary, be willing to wait until after senior year grades are in before you apply. Some even spend a fifth year on fixing a poor GPA.

Besides research, you'll need clinical experience, physician shadowing, nonmedical community service, and maybe teaching or leadership.

Even with a steep upward trend of a 3.7 average for 2 years from now on, depending on the many units you have taken or will take, your maximum seems around a 3.3 or 3.4. I would recommend you not apply until the end of your senior year when your grades are finally hitting the average.