Do non-academic attending jobs care about research done in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aem177

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
See title. Don't see a reason why they would but just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

They care more about are you alert and oriented.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Yes, pulse and license, you are good. But I do think this post really shows how warped our view gets during medical school and residency. There is a massive shortage of mental health providers of all kinds in almost every location. You are needed and wanted.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And there's not even a real interview process. It's just, do you want the job? Okay great how soon can you start.
Yes, pulse and license, you are good. But I do think this post really shows how warped our view gets during medical school and residency. There is a massive shortage of mental health providers of all kinds in almost every location. You are needed and wanted.

Reactions: 3 users
See title. Don't see a reason why they would but just curious.

If you have substantial research background and a prestigious CV, in general working for a facility is not a good value proposition.

As of current, few facilities have identified a way to value extract that type of background that is fair to the market, so to speak. This is true even in the most prestigious academically affiliated group practices, which is why even there things stay small and more senior clinicians with a sizable book of business routinely exit to private practice and many X their income. Things in that model are just not scalable and have lots of other problems. We can go into some detail if you want. I was on the short list to head a division at a major academic center and had an insiders look so I can speak with some knowledge in this area. It’s interesting (in its dysfunction).

A junior attending with this profile needs further development in becoming a clinical expert in a certain area to command a high fee in private practice. There’s no obvious path to this except the current academic gate keeping which is slow, not lucrative, and aggregating in many other ways. This pathway can be worthwhile if it’s driven by PSLF and similar programs.

I would say (cash paying) patients do care. It’s an interesting discussion I had with a leadership person recently in the value of research background and academic credential in private practice. There’s also a question of too much vs too little and what kind of “research”. IMO it is likely an intangible asset, but it’s hard to show it definitively, mathematically. Some private groups perhaps can leverage that. Very few though and is really in the know. So the short answer is no. On the whole, research and academic background is irrelevant to clinical jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users