someone that works for smiths// krogers explain something to me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vardenafil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just accepeted a job for krogers... goodbye walgreens =) hurray and i dont understand how the paystubs work. im 'supposed' to get $54.80 an hour but the pay check stubs say $45.xx an hour. i have talked to my pharmacy manager and my fellow staff pharmacists and they dont know how they calculate pay. i have been just told to trust them that it comes out right in the end. something about the fact the get paid twice a month instead of every 2 weeks. and over the year it evens out. also something about they pay you for hours you dont work. ie you get paid for 44 hours a week but only work 40? what i should make and what i ger are not the same... to add even more to the confusion if i work overtime (i was told overtime is paid time and a quarter) is that based off $45 an hour or the $54 an hour? HR is no help either they say pharmacy is on a diffrent pay set//schedule. i need a damn masters in accounting to figure this out. anyone shed some light on this for me?

Members don't see this ad.

ready for this?

if you're getting paid 54.80 for 40 hrs then your base pay/wk = 2192. they take 2192 and multiply it by 52 (wks/yr) = 113984 as your annual salary. now for the paychecks, they only want to issue 24/year (2 per month), so they divide 113984 by 24 = 4749 per paycheck. its wacky on the paycheck b/c in their antiquated computer system, each salaried employee is calculated at 48 hrs/wk, so it messes stuff up, does it say you work 104 hrs per regular paycheck? comes from 48*52/24=104 in their computer 4749/104 = 45.67/hr. but as long as the above numbers are correct you should be fine. OT is also calculated at 54.8 not the lower number. extra hrs should show up as an adjustment and the numbers should work.

took me forever to find the pharmacy payroll person at corporate who knew how this worked. frustrating and lame for such a big company imho!

Members don't see this ad :)
This calculates what your pay should be after taxes and everything -

http://www.paycheckcity.com/netpayhratescalc/netpayhratescalculator.asp

It gets it pretty close too. Be sure to select your state in the top right corner.

Don't just assume that your paychecks are going to end up right. Double check everything and keep track of your hours. At my gf's old job (non-pharmacy related), the manager got caught shaving hours and days off people's paycheck. She would be working 40+ hours a week and when I looked at her paystub, they were only paying her for 25-30 hours per week. Additionally, she would work the whole month, but the payweeks would be like "Payroll week for 1/1/2007 - 1/13/2007" and the next paystub would read "Payroll week for 1/17/2007 - 1/31/2007", so they were skipping days. She let the main manager know about this and he acknowledged it and always kept saying "it will be corrected in your next paycheck" but never did.

ready for this?

if you're getting paid 54.80 for 40 hrs then your base pay/wk = 2192. they take 2192 and multiply it by 52 (wks/yr) = 113984 as your annual salary. now for the paychecks, they only want to issue 24/year (2 per month), so they divide 113984 by 24 = 4749 per paycheck. its wacky on the paycheck b/c in their antiquated computer system, each salaried employee is calculated at 48 hrs/wk, so it messes stuff up, does it say you work 104 hrs per regular paycheck? comes from 48*52/24=104 in their computer 4749/104 = 45.67/hr. but as long as the above numbers are correct you should be fine. OT is also calculated at 54.8 not the lower number. extra hrs should show up as an adjustment and the numbers should work.

took me forever to find the pharmacy payroll person at corporate who knew how this worked. frustrating and lame for such a big company imho!

thanks for the information. i have found little help on thisat work, and i really appreciate the help you have given me. my fellow employees are awsome but did not know how to explain this to me. i do have one more question for you if possible. my pay stub does say that i was paid for 104 hours. and i did divide that by my pay amount and it does work out to 54xx an hour. but i have a question on the overtime still... is overtime paid time and a quarter or is it straight pay? my manager says time and 1/4 my other staffer says straight pay. it kind of makes a diffrence on my williness to pick up that extra shift or deciding to stay home and play with the kiddies.

This calculates what your pay should be after taxes and everything -

http://www.paycheckcity.com/netpayhratescalc/netpayhratescalculator.asp

It gets it pretty close too. Be sure to select your state in the top right corner.

Don't just assume that your paychecks are going to end up right. Double check everything and keep track of your hours. At my gf's old job (non-pharmacy related), the manager got caught shaving hours and days off people's paycheck. She would be working 40+ hours a week and when I looked at her paystub, they were only paying her for 25-30 hours per week. Additionally, she would work the whole month, but the payweeks would be like "Payroll week for 1/1/2007 - 1/13/2007" and the next paystub would read "Payroll week for 1/17/2007 - 1/31/2007", so they were skipping days. She let the main manager know about this and he acknowledged it and always kept saying "it will be corrected in your next paycheck" but never did.

my brother just quit his job do to the exact above mentioned reasons. he worked as an office manager for a doctor. and the doctor was shaving hours off his employees paychecks. At first my brother had access to the computer pay schedule and time clocks (as he was the office manager and took care of all the bussiness end of things) then the doctor decided to take over things and locked my brother out. Once the doctor did this he started to not pay employees for the full hours they worked. the time punches were mysteriously altered to show less hours on the clock. forget about being paid for overtime. in the end 4 of the 6 employees quit over this... although no legal action was ever taken.

thanks for the information. i have found little help on thisat work, and i really appreciate the help you have given me. my fellow employees are awsome but did not know how to explain this to me. i do have one more question for you if possible. my pay stub does say that i was paid for 104 hours. and i did divide that by my pay amount and it does work out to 54xx an hour. but i have a question on the overtime still... is overtime paid time and a quarter or is it straight pay? my manager says time and 1/4 my other staffer says straight pay. it kind of makes a diffrence on my williness to pick up that extra shift or deciding to stay home and play with the kiddies.

in my division, there usually is no OT, so if you pick up an extra shift its just more hours at your regular pay. this last holiday season though they made an exception and did pay time and a quarter for extra shifts worked during a specific time frame (info sent out per corporate memo). i would do the math and make sure they are paying you OT, especially if your manager said it would be time and a half. maybe send your manager an email confirming this so you have it in writing?