Some facts about KMC,Manipal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingkenny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Firstly,I am not from Manipal and the facts i have received are from friends who are studying there. For the record, I am from JSS Medical College in Mysore.

MAHE is an amazing place to study. It has the 2nd largest Anatomy museum in Asia, one of the best campuses in India and has a library to die for. The library is huge, has pleasant surroundings and a coffee shop.Nothing more to ask for.

For guys, it has the prettiest girls and is one of the most NRI friendly places around. By NRI friendly,I mean other colleges esp. look down on NRI students as kids who only have money and not the brains, which I can say is completely false. It has fantastic lecture rooms complete with A/C, comfortable chairs and great professors. It has a very nice hospital equipped with the latest tech. It is perfect for those attemplting MLE as they are very knowledgable, added to the fact that with student exchange and electives programs, your chances of matching increase drastically.

But, it has one problem. For all the equipment in the hospital, it has NO PATIENTS. And that is the downside.

Clinical Medicine is not only about clinical knowledge learnt from textbooks. It is the application of that knowledge onto your patients.

To date, I have seen a Hydatidosis of the Liver spread to the Lung causing an Abscess, the typical MVP in a patient with Marfans, the 'bird beak appearance' of Systemic Sclerosis, assisted in countless deliveries and even an Appendecectomy. I have seen a patient with Thyrotoxicosis going into full blown Cardiac failure cause some doc gave him thryoxine, seen a kid with Disseminated encephalomyelitis, been to the ortho ward to examine a patient with a MASSIVE leg secondary to Neurofibromatosis. Seen Mucormycosis kill a 15 year old Diabetic girl and so on.

My point is this: Reconsider Manipal if you want to really learn clinical knowledge. I was offered Manipal and I declined. In retrospect, I do not regret this decision for 2 reasons:
a) the above point
b) I met my girlfriend:)

There are other great Private colleges which though cannot beat Manipal when it comes to facilities, offers a little something more.
I would suggest M S Ramaiah, JSS Medical College, and the colleges at Davangere and possibly Belgaum.

Also, to any person who has studied in KMC and has seen this situation differently, I would love to be corrected.

Members don't see this ad.

Very few on this forum have not complained how hard it is for an international medical graduate. But it is definitely not impossible. Still... US med school would make things much less complicated. You wouldn't need to go into a civilian residency first. The army would pay your way through also.