somatic symptom disorder vs. illness anxiety disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Northerncardinal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
having a hard time differentiating the two in vignettes :(...how to tell them apart?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First have symptoms (pain most often), second doesn't (just afraid without any reason)

Reactions: 1 users
Both are unconscious.

The key is illness anxiety disorder, the patient is worried about a very specific disease. I.e mom had breast cancer, so I want 10 mammograms a year. Are you sure I don't have breast cancer?

Somatic symptom disorder is a collection of unrelated bodily complaints + fatigue.

Illness anxiety disorder example-Young female with headaches comes in thinking she might have a brain tumor and that is causing her significant stress. Patients are significantly worried that their health is in danger and they fear severe illness/death.

Somatic symptom disorder- Young female with a history of headaches, abdominal pain, diarrhea/constipation presents to the E.R. with abdominal pain. Abdominal USG/CBC/etc. etc. NORMAL. All tests and labs come back NORMAL. The patient continues to have symptoms from different organ systems, usually depression/anxiety is associated here as well but that's only important for psych exams. ;)

Studying for the MCAT, and the confusion between these two diseases takes me here. Thanks for the explanation!