Somalia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea..Mo007. I live in the west coast.

Members don't see this ad.

D-Block said:
Yea..Mo007. I live in the west coast.
I hear engineering oppertunities are better in middle-east, is that the case in the US too?

Engineering opportunities differ in many places. It all depends on what area of study you specializing in and type of work you're looking for. I've heard of the middle east have good opportunities but thats more towards their own population. The arabs are more interested in hiring their own than some somali claiming american citizenship. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So, looks like this thread needs a "bump".

Hay all :)

It's great to see so many brothers and sisters entering the health profession: D . I know there is not enough of us around, especially in the UK, but I am still proud of you all :D keep up the hard work.

About me :) ....I am a graduate in Bsc. Biochem and I am about to start med school this fall, so looking forward to 5 years of hard work studying something I love :eek: :eek:

:laugh:

leena

Congratulations!

Where will you be attending medical school?

Thanks Mo007!

I will be attending school in London :D Should be fun.

leena

will you be attending UCL or Queen Mary? That's the only 2 I know in London, maybe King's College is the 3rd.

I am a DDS student (dental) in the U.S. (Ohio), and I have a brother in Medical School in Florida. I am happy for you, virtually any other Somali would be too.

I grew up in London (Wood-Green), so I am very familiar with the education system in the UK. You must have had Killer A-level grades to get into Medical School, in the U.S. it's even more competitive to get into Medical School. I have a somali friend who is in UCL medical school (London), I think he is in his last year by now.... by the name of "Saeed". Another friend from Asia graduated from Queen Mary few years back - great school, he is a physcian in London now, maybe training for surgery. London Medical Proffesors are text-book instructors, and they mostly teach at London schools - so you are definetly in for some serious surprises - due to these professors who are the fore-fronts of their prespective fields.

You are right, it WILL be fun.

Enjoy It.

There are five med schools in London UCL, Barts and the London, Imperil, St George and Kings. They are all good :D so I am happy that I chose one in London. The fact that they are all part of the University of London means we get guest lecturers not only from any of them but also form Oxford and Cambridge.

Dentistry.. that?s cool, I actually considered dental school...then I remembered how much I hate going to the dentist :rolleyes: Your a former Londoner :cool:.... gave it up for America huh! Do you like it more then the UK?? I can't imagine living anywhere else...I would miss Bond St :laugh:

My A levels were OK..I am more glad that I never have to do them again :mad: :scared:...they kill :smuggrin:

Salaam to all..

as I proclaimed, I'm first timer to this Somali Site...and i'm glad to see my folks....

first of all, is there anybody who's attending Caribbean Medical schoo in this form..?? if so, give me Pros' vs. cons' ? if no, does worth to wait a year or may be 2 before I can get accepted inot US med school..?? ( in this, i'm looking everybody's input.!!.) thanks in advance...

:idea: :idea: :idea:

leena

The standard of education (undergrad) is better in the UK. However, in the US, graduate schools are the elite, due to funding available to US grad schools. I didn't give up UK to the US, my whole family is here... and I was prepared to do my higher education in the US, and It's a very positive experience so far.

Dental and Medical Students in the US take classes together for the first 2 years, beyond that... clinically, they proceed to their respective majors. So, the most critical part on both professions is the basic sciences in those 2 years, which is crucial for specialization afer dental/medical school. Also, Medical schools here are 4 years (not 5, as it is in the UK), but residency can range from 3-5+ years after the MD degree.

I like Dentistry due to its artistic nature, and the flexibilty the profession allows you to practise (3/4 days a week)... Dentistry pays as much as, if not above, general physicians. I thought about medical school, I couldn't see myself working 60-70+ hours a week during residency. And the NHS in the UK must be laboring students close to 80 hours.... right?

I haven't been back to the UK since 2001, all the people I grew up with reside there... I have doubts I would come back for good. I guess 2 or 3 weeks wouldn't hurt for a reunion. Incase you are wondering... I did my undergrad at U. Hertfordshire in Hatfield (UK).

RBG05

I PM'ed you. Are you a pre-med? I have a brother attending at ROSS U. in Dominica, he likes it so far. He is only attending the Dominica campus in his first year, the other 3 will be in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I think both type of schools will grant you an MD, and you will be given an equal oppertunity to specialize in any field in the US. Question is... how good can a carribean schools prepare you to do well on the boards?

MoOOO7

i'm almost done and hoping this year to be my last. I know the good, the ungly, and the bad of OSU medical school. I'm hoping atleast to get interview this year including several other medical schools. If nothing comes thru..by this time next year I'm heading to the Carribean..so my be ur brother can shed some light for me about caribbean medical schools; even though i'm leaning to SGU...Ross U could be my 2nd/3rd choice...I was browsing thru Valuemd.com...about caribbean medical schools..and saw Ross U has 16 months (basic science program ) at Domanica and rest at Miami..i'm considering the "Big 3" only...

where are the rest of Somali students who interested Medical School..may be we can help each other.......??

:idea: :idea: :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it could be good idea...if we invite all Somali students to this forum/thread, so we can chat and exchange ideas...and be able to enhance each others future...!

:idea: :scared: :idea: :sleep: :idea: :thumbup: :idea: :love:

Moo7

I can see why you chose dentistry. The working hours for Doctors is a nightmare :mad: I think the only advantage us future doctors in the UK have is the new European laws about to come in to effect which states doctors should not work more then 48 hour week- I am not entirely sure if this only applies only to newly qualified doctors or all doctors :rolleyes: This new initiative is defiantly welcomed by a lot of doctors here, but there is also a lot of complaints form consultants saying that the NHS relies heavily in overworked junior doctors :(

I know the working hours in the US can be as high as 100 hours for doctors- and that would not appeal to me either :smuggrin:

RBG05

welcome :) I cant give you any advice because I know nothing about Caribbean med schools-but I am sure others will :D

Hye, i'm just wondering the "limited" post info. in this shread/forum

MoOOO7
what Dental school are u in..? is't the OSU dental school..!! I don't see my self going to dental school, unless it's my last opion. But, anyway good job.

Leena

thanks. So, how are the Med schools in U.K ?

leena

Good luck with your medical career.

RBG05

The Ohio State College of Dentistry. If you ever consider Dentistry, I would strongly suggest you to shadow with a Dentist... at least you can get a general idea if you can handle what Dentistry is all about. Also, if you are considering any career in healthcare, make sure you are doing it because you enjoy it and having fun, those should be your primary reasons.

Make sure you guys tell other Somali kids who are considering any profession in healthcare to visit here.

Enjoy.

MoOO7
give me break man..! first do u said, u r going OSU dental school or u r at Case Western U..if u r going osu dental school..u know it sucks..( dirty)..I used to take Micro..at post-Hall (where the dental school is); specificly, room 1118. if u ever when thru..the dental school..(the partical area)..u can see how unclean the whole area is...I even know an Arab-girl who studies dental and she even told me that. : :oops: D.D.S is my last option.

Hye MoOO7, i'm wondering if u know this guy, blacktiger, or have his e-mail..he said he goes to Carib. Med school..?

My teeth hurtis, dentis.

RBG05

I was accepted to both Ohio Schools, since I live here (Columbus), I decided to stay here (after a close call of thinking to go to CASE initially)... it's not about which school is dirty and which one is clean. It's about the program and the cost of tuition. OSU has a better clinical program than CASE, and definetly cheaper (CASE is $65K per year, OSU is $12K per year - go figure!). CASE is a private school... their Medical School is one of the best in the nation, however, their dental is as good as any other dental school. US dental schools are not ranked, it's an agreement between all schools.

So... just because an "arab" girl thinks dentistry sucks, you concur? :rolleyes: - and if she studies dental (i am assuming you mean dentistry - which would be the D.D.S.), how can she say DDS is her last option when she is studying DDS? :idea: , that is very contradicting!

I don't know anyone called blacktiger.

Good luck with your Medical career, I would take a great caution with Medical School - make sure you are ready to commit yourself with 8 more years of school. :oops:

MoOO7,
are u going summer school/u r out...so may be I can stop-by ur lab area. And, show u what'm talkin about...dental/dentisty school..

D.D.S.), how can she say DDS is her last option when she is studying DDS? , that is very contradicting!

And, it's me how said, DDS is my last option, not the Arab girl who's already going there..."Please don't half it" :oops:
Any pros/cons about any medical school...that u have any info...could help me..! and thanks for the advice..
I will keep it up...

I have no knowledge about the pros and cons in medical school, someone in medical school can answer that question better for you. Maybe you need to do some volunteering at OSU medical center, there is a volunteering office inside the hospital, and you can sign up for a department of you choice. There is so much you can learn from the field by talking to the actual doctors who work at the Hospital.

I am off for the summer, back in school this fall.

Which school are you currently attending?

MoOO7
Which school are you currently attending?

come on, r u just asking me that Q ? the "buckeye (football) nation school"

Congratulations brother, OSU is a great school.

I am glad you got it.

I hope so many friend will join this thread, I talk to several friends in the dental/medical/pharm field to join us, though I couldn't keep it up.

If there is any somali dental student or dentist plz tehre is also a great dental website dentaltown.com.

I can see Mo007 still you're lurking on SDN, but dont forget here after the Anatomy headache.

I couldn't see also any new posts for HIM...

Welcome the new bros/sis somali proffisionals.

macasalaama.

garad..
what would happen to the new school if the old school doesn't keep up w/the thread..!! basicly none may show up..
hi there..

Fellas!

garad - It has been a while bro, it's good to see you again. I honestly can't wait to get school work done. I hope our experiences are good introduction to future Somali professionals considering Dentistry. Talking about HIM098.. I haven't seen her on SDN for sometime now, she might be still in MN, her where-abouts will definetly be on this thread's radar soon. So, how did the California boards go? - weren't you considering taking it? - I hope there is already light at the end of the tunnel for you.

RBG05 - You are like the "swift boat veterans" around here... ;). What I ment was, I don't have any "personal" knowledge of the pros and cons of medical school. Now, where in Columbus are you from again?

Work Hard People. Somalia is actually trying to get back on its feet as we speak, let's hope we are the first real wave of healthcare professionals. As it turns out, politics is also another hobby of mine. :D

so far, for couple weeks, I'm fatt'up w/the Swift boat Vit-losers..and I'm surprise w/Q 2.......Now, where in Columbus are you from again?

when it comes to politics, I keep it on my Left-whing. :rolleyes:

If you like Politics, and by that I mean "Somali" politics - I would recommend www.hobyonet.com - a great site for current issues. The trick is, you read in Somali. If you can, then you will find the daily news on that site interesting.

Good Luck to All... hopefully, things will work out back home - despite what happend the past 14 years.

Get This...

2 Somali athletes who participated in the Athens 2004 Olympics (mostly likely the only 2 we had) by the names of Maxamed Faarax Cajab & Fartuun Abuukar Cumar have gone AWOL after the official closing ceremony. Its assumed that they have left Greece and headed to western-european countries. This came to the attention of the Olympics officials after both athletes have failed to show up to their Airport shuttles at their residences.

My guess is they will never come back. :D - Talk about Olympic Dreams...

That's kinda disappointing.But not unexpected.

How is everyone here..How you doing Mo007.

I need to catch-up on my reading here, been away for quite sometime, so I know what to write here next .. :D ...till then...

She is back!!!... I wonder where she has been? :rolleyes:

I thought you guys might find this interesting... It's kind of an "Old Article", I didn't even know it existed until I found it.

SOMALIA: First postwar medical college opens in Mogadishu

NAIROBI, 17 Jun 2003 (IRIN) - Somalia's first medical college in 12 years officially opened in the capital, Mogadishu, on 15 June.

The Benadir University Medical College (BUMC) is to be funded by donations from Somali physicians and an annual fee of US $1,500 per student, its rector, Dr Usman Adan Abdulle, told IRIN.

The BUMC, which is currently training 22 medical students (11 of them women), actually started classes late last year. It was officially opened on 15 June by the president of the Transitional National Government, Usman said.

It was the first time since the start of the civil war in 1991 that such an institution had come into operation, a Somali source told IRIN.

Usman, one of the most respected physicians in Somalia, said "the need for more doctors became acute, and so we had to explore ways of getting more of them into the health system". There is a general shortage of medical practitioners in Somalia, because no new doctors have entered the profession since 1990. At the same time, "former doctors left the country, got old or simply died", he noted. "Before the civil war, our university used to graduate 50 doctors per year."

Dr Abdirazzaq Ahmed Dalmar, the BUMC's director of training and international collaboration, told IRIN that the BUMC had concluded collaboration agreements with a number of foreign universities, including Kings College, London, University College London, Howard University in Washington DC, Palermo University in Italy, and Lund University in Sweden. These institutions had pledged to provide "long-distance training and equipment", Dalmar said. "Palermo university has already donated teaching material, and is offering refresher courses for the instructors and will send instructors when the security situation improves," he added.

According to Usman, BUMC will be staffed by Somali doctors based both inside and outside the country. "We have commitments from Somali doctors in the diaspora that they will come to teach in rotation," he told IRIN.

Usman said the BUMC would have an initial intake of between 50 and 60 students per year. "We have decided that is the optimum number the college can train at present," he said, pointing out that there were more applicants than the college could absorb.

The students would undergo a six-month period of intensive English-language and information technology training before starting their five-year course, Dalmar said. He said the college's language of instruction would be English.

Usman told IRIN that the university's most pressing needs were a library and teaching material. "Any donations in this regard will be highly appreciated and welcomed," he said, appealing to international donors "and those involved in the health sector in Somalia" to help make the project a success.

That's such an enlighten article..

Dr.Usman is absoulty right. I hope they get all the support they need in all forms.
My grandfather just died 3 weeks ago.Least to say, It was hard to find a proper medical care for him, but that is the condition for all the elder population of somalia. No matter how much you send from medication to monetary fund, nothing can beat the professional care of a nurse or a doctor.

I do hope that school succeed in their mission and not in the long run provide the necssary medical aid to their own tribe only :rolleyes:

HIM0098

Sorry to hear your grandfather pass away. Well, healthcare in Somalia, as we all know, lack the basic fundamentals. Like you said, nurses and qualified doctors, or health mentors are in areas where they are isolated from the needy, or are not qualified enough to treat the sick.

A simple cultural healthcare program is needed to help people of all kinds and regions in the country, a strategy that benefits both the professionals and communities.

I see in the US, where even CNN has a doctor.... it says a lot about where Somalia stands in preventative health in communities.

The establishment of a new government can change all this. An oppertunnity for people to gain confidence to live their life safely, and prioritise health as a very important issue, just like it is over here.

New Somali President to be elected by 9/30/2004. Presidential season is under-way around the world.

Stay Tuned. :D

P.S. I have to share a short humor, a real one. A Somali guy who I met in a Columbus mall, was watching FOX NEWS (I think) on Hurricane Frances... He said: "Why are the networks keep talking about FRANCE... it's not like we have nothing important over here to talk about!". Just when I was about to laugh, another guy next to him intercepted "No, this is a storm heading to FRANCE!" :laugh: - Just another day in my city. :D

Salaam my fellow Somalis, i couldn't believe it when i stumbled upon this site. I am a junior in Speech and Hearing science, and i want to specialize in Audiology. I wanted to pursue Medicine, but i flunked the MCATs once and started thinking do i really want to do this? so here iam in Audiology, less time in school, not as grueling, cheaper, and i still get to help people :D

Wish the best of luck with all of you in the health field, and hope more and more individuals decide to join it, our country can definetly use it.

LOL@ joke about the Hurricane!!!

Hey, we have a new president is that a cause for celeberation or doomsday? i can't decide yet :confused:, i only pray there isn't gonna be more innocent bloodshed.

Welcome Somaali

This is our little lounge for the Somalis. As you can see, we are the few who found each other to share our stories and goals in the medical field. I hope your Audiology career is the right choice for you.

On politics, I never expected Mr. Yousuf to win, but after careful thought, Somalia needs a president with his views, not so much of his background, but someone with an iron-hand. I believe good things will come out of this new government, and Somalis have a path of rebuilding of a nation to do... because everyone has to be part of achieving the common goal. Needless to say, we don't know what the price will be to change most Somalis' feeling and attitude towards unity and democracy, under "ilaahey's" will.

Good Luck to All :thumbup:

Thanks Mo.

Back to politics, i am an amateur when it comes to Somali politics, but even being that, i don't think the current elected president is that right choice for us, only because i don't think he is any better than Siad Barre or Ceydiid, i think all the odeyaal that participated in that election need to go, they all suck :thumbdown:, we need new people, younger and not so mercenary. That's my two cents.

How's everybody's Ramadaan so far, i ate so much today, i feel my stomache walls stretched :oops:, not a particularly comfortable :laugh:

Salaam

Somaali

I think a lot of Somalis are outraged about the results of the Somali Presidential Election outcome. You would expect someone who posted on this "Somalia" thread had a better chance, simply because of Mr. Yusuf's profile. To those of us who were leaning towards a leader who had no warlord background, we have been disappointed. I think the manipulation of politics by people who shared common background ended up in the government. This was suppose to be about a fresh start for the Somalis, but then, you question - to fix current problems in Somalia, who would better get the job done? - Someone who understands the crisis from experience (a warlord), or someone who has a strategy based on what people outside the country think?... Sadly, the real choice comes down to a person like Abdullahi Yusuf.

Shoot... dozens of intellectual Somalis I met didn't even think he will run for presidency, let alone win it. It's very interesting to see how this elected president goes around all the obstacles Somalia needs to recover from. You can just imagine, if he will spend all his 5 year term to implement the plans for these obstacles? I don't know what's going to prompt Somalis living outside Somalia to go back home, and live a life under a government who many think has representitives who were considered (if not still) an enemy, including the President himself. This guy have to win the people's confidence by doing what he was elected for, period.

There is a good chance things will improve, but not at the rate we all would like to see. And again, we should be optimistic about this oppertunity, and take this chance to create a country that counts in the world.

More Later...

P.S. Somaali, fasting is a time to transform your diet, you sound like you are refusing to cut down on food by eating all your daily 3 meals on "anfur" time. I have been working on that formula, but you sound like more ambitious.

:thumbup:

Aslamu Aleykum

As a Somali, I feel president- elect Abdullahi Yusuf represents what?s left of the democratic processes of our country. He has been recognized throughout the world as our president and the best things Somalis both in the diaspora and those still living in Somalia can do for the betterment of our country is recognize his position and move on. I think the more we busy ourselves with the shortcomings of our leaders the more we become critical and bitter. Instead, what we need to do is to determine what our next steps will be as a country and take the necessary actions.

This is not to say that I favor one candidate over another. I am desperate for the recognition of my country, of its people and its way of life. All the representatives have shortcomings I feel can be magnified which can result in an atmosphere of hate and bigotry. The world has accepted who our president is. We should at least welcome it.

Aslaam,

D-Block, i too genuinely wish for peace and unity for our war torn country, and now Abdulaahi Yusif is elected whether we like it or not, the thing that really gets me, why did we go through 14 long years of chaos and exile? if we going to elect a goverment and a president just like our late one, what was the whole point?...and there's nothing me and you or even the ones in Somalia can do about it, our fate is once again decided by the warlords, all that's left to do is pray and wish for the best.

Mo, naah i don't try to eat my 3 meals at once during afur, we ate at my sister's house and i couldn't help but taste everything, and it was my downfall :laugh: , i only wish i was half as talented as she is when it comes to cooking.

Where are you guys in the US?

D-Block made a valid point, there is definetly more to be seen on how the new Somali government approaches it's tasks. It's not an easy process, considering criticisms from all kind of Somalis, whether they are in Somalia, or in a foreign country. What concerns me is, what kind of environment will there be in Somalia in the immediate future... will people accept and respect the domestic policies from the new government to improve the country's current status.... particularly having a "Law and Order", even though things are not as bad they were during the 90's.

I think we should invest in hope, and not go beyond the idea of "1" Somalia.

Somaali, is there so many different kind of Somali food you can cook?, besides the daily "bariis or baasto" dose? :D - I am just kidding... I am sure you are a better cook than me.

Aslamu Aleykum,

I live in the rainy city of Seattle--big up to the Seahawks.

Overly sunny (and republican) Arizona over here,, Go devils!!

We here in Washington State are liberal latte lovers..your typical blue state.

Here in Ohio, the eye of the political storm recently, still have faith in Democratic leadership... even though anti-gay rights propaganda from republican and independant advocates stole the election from Kerry. :D

It's all about the message you send out to people to support you. If this works in this country, so as Somalia... if there is ever a national election.

FONT=Times New Roman]Salamu alaikum
waa wada salaamantihiin
I am starting uni after the summer but cant decide what to major in yet......my future aspirations is to be an Internist or a Family Practioner what would you guys recommend I major in (i am considering biochemistry).

Somalilander said:
FONT=Times New Roman]Salamu alaikum
waa wada salaamantihiin
I am starting uni after the summer but cant decide what to major in yet......my future aspirations is to be an Internist or a Family Practioner what would you guys recommend I major in (i am considering biochemistry).
Somalilander

Welcome to sdn. If your interests at this point in college lie towards Medicine, you should consider doing volunteering at your local medical center/hospital. That will give you the oppertunity to understand what it's like to be a physician. The other benefit in that is, such experience will help you when you apply to medical schools in the future. Try to volunteer as early as you can, that way, when you get to your junior or senior year in college, you can focus on upper classes in your major, which tend to be more difficult than your freshman and sophmore courses.

Speaking of major, keep your options open if you are not sure what to major in. You should focus on completing the mandatory pre-requisites for medical schools (general sciences) first, and try to do well in those. Medical Schools prefer students who major in Sciences... you sound like you are on the right track if you are aiming for Biochemistry.

There schools who have BS/MD programs, depending on your high school grades, if they were good, such programs requires you to maintain a certain GPA before you get to the MD portion of the program. The MCAT will still determine if you can handle Medical School, regardless on what path you choose to get there.

Good Luck :thumbup:

you don't have to major in a science if you are applying to medical school. you can major in anything that you want so long as you complete the premedical classes that you need to take. if you choose a major - chose a major that you enjoy and that you are seriously interested in. especially if you plan on doing research. if you end up choosing a major based upon only the fact that it will 'look good' for medical school, later on you may regret it.

AwaPremed said:
you don't have to major in a science if you are applying to medical school. you can major in anything that you want so long as you complete the premedical classes that you need to take. if you choose a major - chose a major that you enjoy and that you are seriously interested in. especially if you plan on doing research. if you end up choosing a major based upon only the fact that it will 'look good' for medical school, later on you may regret it.

But it would probably look better on your record if you major in one of the science fields......but then again medical schools also look for applicants with wide spread talent (not only scientific talent)....so you got a point there

you see i was previously planning to major in Biochemistry and get my masters
and start work.........but i started to get intrested in medicine'
Mo007 i never thought there where colleges that both offer Bs and M.D.
which colleges do you know that offer both degrees?????? :idea: