Social and Transcultural Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elusiveCHILD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew more about Cultural Psychiatry and how to become specialized in this particular sub-specialty? Is there a specific track med students can take to prepare for this specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone knew more about Cultural Psychiatry and how to become specialized in this particular sub-specialty? Is there a specific track med students can take to prepare for this specialty?

You'll be lucky if the med school you attend even has a track in general psychiatry let alone a sub-specialty of psych. I can't speak to residency, but going through Freida and looking up various programs, it seems like there are certain residency programs which do place an emphasis on cultural psychiatry or offer tracks within that field. In medical school just do as well as you can overall and give yourself the best application possible. That way if you're still interested come time for the match you'll have a better shot at getting into programs in which you can pursue that interest.

It's the same advice I give to every high school and college kid that's determined to get into super-sub-specialty, take it one step at a time and just focus on what you can do now. If you take care of right now, you won't have to worry as much later.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone knew more about Cultural Psychiatry and how to become specialized in this particular sub-specialty?
What is your interest in this? Where are you in the process now, and what do you imagine your work looking like once you make it into this field?

I have always been interested in the field of psychiatry but more recently have been drawn to the work of social cultural psychiatrists such as (Frantz Fanon, William Grier, Price Cobbs, Jonathan Metzel) and others who have explored how social and cultural determinants influence psychopathology and therapeutic interventions for people with mental and behavioral problems. Any additional insight will be greatly appreciated!

I have always been interested in the field of psychiatry but more recently have been drawn to the work of social cultural psychiatrists such as (Frantz Fanon, William Grier, Price Cobbs, Jonathan Metzel) and others who have explored how social and cultural determinants influence psychopathology and therapeutic interventions for people with mental and behavioral problems. Any additional insight will be greatly appreciated!
The nice thing about psychiatry is that you can find your niche with them if you wish, especially if you're more academically inclined.

Most residency programs put clinical training first, as they should, IMO.

My best advice on making this happen:
1) find a residency program with a specific faculty member in your area of interest (Social & Cultural Psychiatry)
2) learn if that faculty member has a history of mentoring psychiatry residents (super important - some folks like to do their research and write, not so much take on trainees)
3) learn if that residency program has flexible elective time during the senior resident years (PGY3 or PGY4)
4) get started on a project by spending 1-2 hrs q 1-2 weeks on it (of your own time) during your PGY1 and PGY2 years (e.g. going to a lab meeting, going to a conference in the area, writing some kind of review article which can be done in a slow, piecemeal fashion). The commitment that you show during the PGY1 and PGY2 years (which will probably have come from your own time - it is unlikely that you will allocated this time while you are also primarily learning to practice clinical work) will serve to show the mentor that you are truly interested in the area. Deeds speak louder than words.

(for context, I am an associate program director in a general residency program in the southeast)