SOAP Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klmdgmc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember the programs that entered SOAP this year? There was info on the past 2 matches but not so much this year's. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Got this second hand, but I heard GWU, advocate, mayo-florida, LSU shreveport, univ of nebraska, SUNY downstate, stny brook, case western metrohealth, penn state hershey, med college wiskonsin

Don't know details beyond that.

Thank you. Anyone else hear anything second hand out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait for this year's Charting Outcomes in the Match to come out. They will have the list of each school's residency spots, along with which ones were filled pre-soap.

Got this second hand, but I heard GWU, advocate, mayo-florida, LSU shreveport, univ of nebraska, SUNY downstate, stny brook, case western metrohealth, penn state hershey, med college wiskonsin

Don't know details beyond that.
I would be ecstatic to attend any of those programs

MCW got two soap candidates that had not matched into Ortho. Those unfilled spots went fast.

That's always sorta goofy to me. Those 2 specialties could not be more opposite - one is all about mechanics, and the other is all physiology. I have a hard time believing that someone who wanted to be an orthopod would happy as an 'ologist.

Reactions: 1 user
That's always sorta goofy to me. Those 2 specialties could not be more opposite - one is all about mechanics, and the other is all physiology. I have a hard time believing that someone who wanted to be an orthopod would happy as an 'ologist.

Not to me. I had a cohort who didn't match Ortho. He was a fantastic anesthesia resident. Alas he left after 2years because he got a spot in urology. But sometimes it's a matter of deciding to accept your circumstances, putting in a great effort, and loving what you do. I'm happy doing anesthesia but I think I could have been happy doing Ortho too, just didn't consider it at the time.

I ended up in anesthesiology because I didn't match into Ortho. It's not that far of a stretch. And I love anesthesiology. Would I have ended up loving orthopedics? Who knows for sure. But I'm pretty sure I would have.

I also narrowed my specialties down to anesthesia and ortho. Went back and forth right up until the last minute when I had to pick one. I would've been happy in either.

I can't believe there's even a discussion about orthopedic surgery vs. anesthesiology. Are you f_ucking kidding me!? That's like comparing a blow job (ortho) to a hand job (anesthesia) - sure you'll probably get off but one way is definitely better than the other.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't believe there's even a discussion about orthopedic surgery vs. anesthesiology. Are you f_ucking kidding me!? That's like comparing a blow job (ortho) to a hand job (anesthesia) - sure you'll probably get off but one way is definitely better than the other.

I'll take the hand job if I don't have to do clinic and rounding, all day long.

Reactions: 5 users

I have no idea how this fits into your analogy, but one is unobtainable for the 50% of med students who are in the bottom half of their classes. For students like me, the choices are basically wiping noses in family medicine, endlessly circling the wards on IM, standing in an unemployment line with radiology or pathology, or anesthesiology, which is still a pretty cool specialty no matter what. I guess general surgery is an option, but if ortho is a blowjob and gas is a handjob, general surgery is being suspended upside-down from the ceiling and whipped by a very sturdy girl wearing a leather mask-- fun for some, but painful and humiliating if it isn't your thing.

Reactions: 5 users
I concur with @Consigliere. Anybody who chooses anesthesia as an alternative to orthopedics risks becoming just a highly-trained CRNA, no offense. To me, real anesthesiology, real doctoring, is actually closer to critical care and internal medicine, with all the basic science prerequisites and passions. Just the amount of required interdisciplinary medical knowledge, or the part about coexisting diseases, or advanced physiology, should be staggering to any "ortho mind", no offense. To me, anesthesia procedures are just a means to an end; it's the medical science that matters.

Most community hospital anesthesia doesn't reach these levels, and that's why a good CRNA does not really need us there anymore, or why a mediocre anesthesiologist can still do a great job there. Same goes for highly procedural subspecialties (e.g. people who go into pain just to do useless procedures which don't do crap for patients, and not to change their lives by managing them medically). But I would not expect somebody who was attracted to ortho to shock me with his/her medical knowledge, and really excel as a perioperative physician. Because the latter is where most CRNAs cannot hold a candle to us, and where the future of this specialty is, like it or not.

Maybe that's just my prejudiced mind. No offense intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I concur with @Consigliere. Anybody who chooses anesthesia as an alternative to orthopedics risks becoming just a highly-trained CRNA, no offense. To me, real anesthesiology, real doctoring, is actually closer to critical care and internal medicine, with all the basic science prerequisites and passions. Just the amount of required interdisciplinary medical knowledge, or the part about coexisting diseases, or advanced physiology, should be staggering to any "ortho mind", no offense. To me, anesthesia procedures are just a means to an end; it's the medical science that matters.

Most community hospital anesthesia doesn't reach these levels, and that's why a good CRNA does not really need us there anymore, or why a mediocre anesthesiologist can still do a great job there. Same goes for highly procedural subspecialties (e.g. people who go into pain just to do useless procedures which don't do crap for patients, and not change their lives by managing them medically). But I would not expect somebody who was attracted to ortho to shock me with his/her medical knowledge, and really excel as a perioperative physician. Because the latter is where most CRNAs cannot hold a candle to us, and where the future of this specialty is, like it or not.

Maybe that's just my prejudiced mind. No offense intended.

You're thinking like a seasoned doctor...ortho looks sexy to med students. Ortho is like those hot women that every guy wants but very few get. People want the unattainable even if they don't really *want* it.
They make bank too, so that's a huge draw.