SOAP 2017 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I hope you guys are all thrilled with the email you recieved. I have a question.

If I ranked both categorical IM and prelim IM (without ranking any advanced Program), and got matched, without being SOAP eligible,

Does it mean I have matched into categorical position? If i matched into that one preliminary program without advanced program position (because I didn't apply to any) position, would I be eligible for SOAP?

Many thanks in advance.
If you've matched to the prelim position, it says that you have matched to a 1 year position..If the Match homepage doesn't say so, you've matched to the categorical program.

Members don't see this ad.

Paging OP!! I hope you aren't soaping.

Hey everyone. Former SOAP'er here (2015). It was stressful, but I'm a PGY-2 now and things have been going excellent! I love my program too! This can work out!

I'm on a busy rotation this month, but will make myself as available as possible to answer questions and give advice, here or via PM. Just hit me up.

Best of luck to you all.

SLC

Wait how do people message you if you limited your profile? LOL

Hello all,
I hope you guys are all thrilled with the email you recieved. I have a question.

If I ranked both categorical IM and prelim IM (without ranking any advanced Program), and got matched, without being SOAP eligible,

Does it mean I have matched into categorical position? If i matched into that one preliminary program without advanced program position (because I didn't apply to any) position, would I be eligible for SOAP?

Many thanks in advance.
Merging with the current SOAP 2017 thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Made an account for the purpose of posting here.

Competitive applicant who didn't match last year, went through SOAP unsuccessfully, ended up doing a research year and reapplying in the same field this year. Matched today (thankfully omg). Posting because I want you to know that there is hope for this to work out in some form or another.

Of the people I know from last year who went through this same thing, most scrambled into categorical positions. Two or three went into surgery prelims that have since turned into categorical positions, one did a surgery prelim and reapplied in Ortho and matched. All this to say, there are a lot of different paths open, although it doesn't feel like it right now.

Best advice for all of you going forward:
Trust yourself above all else, even if you feel like you can't anymore. Only you know what is the right choice for you. Buckle up for a rough 2-3 days, cry now and not on the phone later with programs, and know that you're strong enough to handle this. You made it through all of medical school and you'll make it through this too.

PM me for questions, and hang in there! :)

Reactions: 10 users
Strange there are a lot of i filled cat IM spots that are not participating in soap.........

Hi chaps

First time posting.

I'm an IM resident in the UK, born and schooled here too.

SOAPing this year.

Applied to 15 ER programs, got one interview but didn't match, it was a top tier school and the IV was fun.

Step1 210 / Step 2 230/ CS Pass all first attempt. Some strong publications in EM journals. Major flaw is that
I all my LoRs are from the UK, they pointed this out at the IV and that I graduated 3 years ago.

Looking to SOAP into Prelim IM / Prelim Surg.

Best of luck everyone and well done on the journey so far.

Today is a horrific day for many people here, but this is it - this is the cold face of how much you want it. Best of luck and please mind your mental health, talk to a friend or family. Life is awesome and time cures all wounds.

Let the excitement begin!

On my first SOAP year, I got calls more toward the evening of the first day. My advice is to not be in a place where phone service is spotty.

Hello everyone! I just registered to post this.. I'm not a student myself but my girlfriend just received her notice that she didn't match today. She applied for OB/gyn and had 12+ interviews. She also had pretty good step scores so we are both shocked she didn't match.

I have a few questions maybe you can help me out with.
  1. What's the best way I can support her through this? It's so hard for her to see all her friends matching. She feels isolated and her pride is hurt.
  2. How do you make the decision between accepting a SOAP offer to a specialty you weren't considering in your initial applications. She is torn between taking a FM/peds position from SOAP versus trying to match again next year in OB.

They have had the apps for a whole 40 minutes, give them a little bit.

Already got a call for a categorical anesthesia interview. Did not expect one that quickly.Things are happening. Stay by the phone and be ready to go. Don't give up!

Reactions: 1 users
Partially matched into advanced position in PM&R. SOAPing for a prelim year. can someone clarify for me whether its worth it to use all 45 applications asap or save a few for the subsequent rounds?

Hello everyone! I just registered to post this.. I'm not a student myself but my girlfriend just received her notice that she didn't match today. She applied for OB/gyn and had 12+ interviews. She also had pretty good step scores so we are both shocked she didn't match.

1. What's the best way I can support her through this? It's so hard for her to see all her friends matching. She feels isolated and her pride is hurt.
  2. How do you make the decision between accepting a SOAP offer to a specialty you weren't considering in your initial applications. She is torn between taking a FM/peds position from SOAP versus trying to match again next year in OB.
Listen to her and allow her to vent her anger, frustration and disappointment. Tell her how much you care for her and believe in her, and that she will become a fantastic doctor. Encourage her to eat and sleep so that she has the energy she'll need to shine when she gets calls from programs. That said, she may need some space and time alone to deal with the emotional fallout of not matching, so don't be upset if that's the case.

Encourage her to talk with her faculty adviser tomorrow to really get a handle on the pros and cons of matching into a specialty she doesn't think she'll love vs. waiting a year and trying again. It's an emotional time and I think it helps to have an outside perspective when making a life-altering decision.

Best wishes to both of you!

Reactions: 7 users

Another consideration, if she is set on OB is to see if she can delay graduation for a year to be able to apply next year as a graduating senior as well as keep doing rotations and help her application. That is if she isn't able to SOAP into an OB spot.

Reactions: 2 users
Another consideration, if she is set on OB is to see if she can delay graduation for a year to be able to apply next year as a graduating senior as well as keep doing rotations and help her application. That is if she isn't able to SOAP into an OB spot.

Thanks for replying. This is indeed an option at her school, and there's no SOAP spots available for OB (apparently).

Thanks for replying. This is indeed an option at her school, and there's no SOAP spots available for OB (apparently).

If she's set on OB, the extended year would be her best option. FM with an OB fellowship could be an option, but wouldn't be a true replacement for OB/Gyn training.

Anyone hear anything? When do programs send contact? Right away im guessing.

Wondering this too.

Also, does anyone know when it might be safe to take a breath tonight? Obviously, if a program wants to talk at 11pm, I'm down, but do we think it's safe to assume PD's "go home" at a normal hour during the SOAP?

Calling anyone who has soaped before, what was the latest in the evening call you received?

Sounds like either there's a red flag somewhere in her application or her interviews didn't go well. For that reason, I'd suggest she accept a SOAP spot and cast her net widely.

The best way to support her is by reassuring her that she's wonderful and that you're behind her 100% in whatever she decides to do. Offer to help with logistics however she needs, and simply take care of all the other 'life stuff' so she can focus 100% on securing her future. You know her best, so will have to judge for yourself how much space, humor, distraction, sympathy, etc....

Reactions: 2 users
I got a call cpl hrs ago for an advanced position since i only matched into prelim. He told me with my step score and the fact that I wanted to do that speciality i would be high on the list. What are the chances of getting an offer after a interview in soap?

Already had 1 anesthesia interview, so be ready at any time. Agree it would be nice to know what time I can officially "turn off" (aka pour myself a drink and cry...)

Already had 1 anesthesia interview, so be ready at any time. Agree it would be nice to know what time I can officially "turn off" (aka pour myself a drink and cry...)

FWIW, my PD said previous SOAP participants have had calls as late as 10pm EST.
Still crickets on my end and I applied to all the prelim and TY medicine spots.

Wondering this too.

Also, does anyone know when it might be safe to take a breath tonight? Obviously, if a program wants to talk at 11pm, I'm down, but do we think it's safe to assume PD's "go home" at a normal hour during the SOAP?

Calling anyone who has soaped before, what was the latest in the evening call you received?

Depends on time zone difference. I got a call at 7pm from a West coast program when I was on the east coast.

Do the calls come all through tomorrow? Or just tonight?

Depends on time zone difference. I got a call at 7pm from a West coast program when I was on the east coast.

Did you get a call at 7pm or 10pm ET. The reason I ask is because I need to take a train from NYC back to DC, and to get to Penn Station, I have to ride the F train which is underground (no signal) and I am worried I will miss a call in that time...

anyone knows the chance of matching after an phone call iv? do they phone iv a bunch of ppl or is there a descent chance it could lead to something?

Good luck to everyone in the SOAP. Get your applications in to remaining programs (someone mentioned something about "saving" a few spots for later rounds - don't do this, the counter resets each round) and then, unfortunately, it is a waiting process. Go outside and get some sun, if it's nice in your area. If not, do something/anything else other than sit and stare at your phone or SDN. Know you are not alone in the process, many of us (including me!) went through the SOAP process successfully - feel free to PM with any questions.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone. I'm currently sitting in one of the EM attending's empty offices waiting for a phone call. Just wanted to introduce myself and let you know that you aren't alone.

Good luck to everyone in the SOAP. Get your applications in to remaining programs (someone mentioned something about "saving" a few spots for later rounds - don't do this, the counter resets each round) and then, unfortunately, it is a waiting process. Go outside and get some sun, if it's nice in your area. If not, do something/anything else other than sit and stare at your phone or SDN. Know you are not alone in the process, many of us (including me!) went through the SOAP process successfully - feel free to PM with any questions.

That is not accurate about getting more tokens each round. The following is copy pasted direct from ERAS:

During SOAP, you will be able to apply to a total of 45 ACGME-accredited Match participating programs (new and re-applies). You will only be allowed to apply to programs you are eligible for. Keep in mind that once you reach the 45 programs maximum you will not be able to apply to any additional programs until SOAP ends. If you do not use all 45 programs allotted within the SOAP timeframe you will lose them.

Reactions: 1 users
That is not accurate about getting more tokens each round. The following is copy pasted direct from ERAS:

During SOAP, you will be able to apply to a total of 45 ACGME-accredited Match participating programs (new and re-applies). You will only be allowed to apply to programs you are eligible for. Keep in mind that once you reach the 45 programs maximum you will not be able to apply to any additional programs until SOAP ends. If you do not use all 45 programs allotted within the SOAP timeframe you will lose them.

I apologize, I was not aware of this it certainly wasn't this way just a few years ago where it refreshed. Everyone should read the CURRENT rules regardless!

Can I withdraw my app during SOAP to put the count down to 44 and then apply to another program?

I apologize, I was not aware of this it certainly wasn't this way just a few years ago where it refreshed. Everyone should read the CURRENT rules regardless!

this is why i asked. the current rule seems to be discordant with the way it worked in the past. i wonder why they made this change?

Status
Not open for further replies.