SOAP 2014 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which field are you trying to SOAP into?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i hate bringing this up while everyone is soo distraught. but, would be illegal if i contacted the program that offered me the spot if no contact was initially made?
I shouldn't be, if you already accepted the offer I don't think its considered illegal.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i hate bringing this up while everyone is soo distraught. but, would be illegal if i contacted the program that offered me the spot if no contact was initially made?

I think you should be able. I would assume offering a spot= they initiate a contact.

Nabbed a prelim surgery spot. I'll also be doing this again next year, but am also very grateful to have a job for the next year. Best of luck to those of you still hoping for good news.

Reactions: 3 users
(and I got a last minute call from a program just before the second round... so if you haven't gotten a call, there is still some hope!)

Nabbed a prelim surgery spot. I'll also be doing this again next year, but am also very grateful to have a job for the next year. Best of luck to those of you still hoping for good news.
they called u for this spoy or some other offer

Only 1 of the 10 programs I applied to have downloaded my info. =( Thats means no one is even looking my way.

Only 1 of the 10 programs I applied to have downloaded my info. =( Thats means no one is even looking my way.
They probably won't download until after 5 when the new round starts. So far i haven' had any phone calls. don't know what 10 programs to apply to now...

The program that called just before the second round also gave an offer

Reactions: 2 users
They probably won't download until after 5 when the new round starts. So far i haven' had any phone calls. don't know what 10 programs to apply to now...
I d/l to 4 programs at 2:30 .... and 3 have downloaded .... originally was soaping into FM .... but sent in my first 4/10 for path ... I received a call for path... some hope for me now .... I think the reason is that I dont think many ppl are applying path

I have pretty much thrown in the towel at this point and trying to figure out what I am going to do next year. What is everyone planning? Has anyone else called a DO program?

16 interviews, no match. had 7 phone interviews: 0 offers :( this is great for my self confidence.
Hang in there
I heard from some of my classmates that the MD match for family has been particularly brutal for DOs this year

I have pretty much thrown in the towel at this point and trying to figure out what I am going to do next year. What is everyone planning? Has anyone else called a DO program?

16 interviews, no match. had 7 phone interviews: 0 offers :( this is great for my self confidence.

barefoot, I feel for you brother. Tough to swallow especially with so many interviews and not matching.

I have no offers so far either and am unsure how to proceed with my life.

I'm waiting til 5 to see the new list before I blow any of my 10 slots.

barefoot, I feel for you brother. Tough to swallow especially with so many interviews and not matching.

I have no offers so far either and am unsure how to proceed with my life.

Thanks, it is difficult to imagine that med school is ending this way :/ this is supposed to be the happiest week of the entire med school.

Looks like they're updating the list now. ERAS went down.

WOW...the updated list left nothing to scramble for anymore :(

Why do program directors have to lie? I can see the benefit of lying to applicants in the general match, but what's the benefit of telling SOAP applicants that they are getting a spot if they're not?

refresh, more came up when i refreshed a couple of times

aaaaand that sound you just heard was the end of my medical career.

eras is down temporarily

Yeah, that's lame. I understand they need to minimize network traffic, but I'm forced to sit here with my fresh NRMP data until it's back. Lovin' it.

Holy **** that was ugly!!! I have nothing left, I applied to 10 programs before this list =(

I'm already starting the planning process for next year. Step 3, etc. Not much left to apply to. Might as well throw some transitional slots since I have the spare slots to give.

ERAS down again! look how happy I am for not logging my extra 10 programs earlier:))

I'm already starting the planning process for next year. Step 3, etc. Not much left to apply to. Might as well throw some transitional slots since I have the spare slots to give.

I hate to say it, but after SOAPing last year, I spent all that time and money on Step 3 and nailed it. Didn't change a thing for me this year.

Like I said in an earlier post, when SOAP is over this year, I'm out. The higher powers are telling me to do something else.

I hate to say it, but after SOAPing last year, I spent all that time and money on Step 3 and nailed it. Didn't change a thing for me this year.

Like I said in an earlier post, when SOAP is over this year, I'm out. The higher powers are telling me to do something else.
Are you an IMG or old graduate?? Why do you think its the end of the road for you?? DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Some states have a program called lateral entry, look it up.

3 yrs-ago graduate, US citizen and US MD grad, ex-resident, contract non renewal because I made an attending mad.

3 yrs-ago graduate, US citizen and US MD grad, ex-resident, contract non renewal because I made an attending mad.
OMG that's horrible. I think I'm still worse than you. Graduated IMG more than 5 years ago, only have research and nothing else but my steps which I was not stellar in. =(

OMG that's horrible. I think I'm still worse than you. Graduated IMG more than 5 years ago, only have research and nothing else but my steps which I was not stellar in. =(

I'm not sure if you're worse than me. Neither of us have a job.

I'm not sure if you're worse than me. Neither of us have a job.
True, but I wouldn't give up just yet. I have a friend that passed step 1 until the 4th attempt and he is almost starting his second yr, this helps me not give up. I only have 1 attempt on step 1 so maybe there is hope. ;)

Matched, anesthesia. 1 phone call interview and 1 offer in 2nd round. The nrmp send you a email if you have a offer or not.
Good luck everybody.

I use my personal statement and LOR for other specialty.

so it doesnt matter if we use PS and LOR from FM or IM for prelim surgery

hey, just know we are rootin for ya bud... stay strong!

Reactions: 1 users
if a program is participating in the SOAP, do they HAVE to fill it in the SOAP? There is still a Derm slot available in the SOAP and I know they are downloading our applications.

if a program is participating in the SOAP, do they HAVE to fill it in the SOAP? There is still a Derm slot available in the SOAP and I know they are downloading our applications.
No. Unfilled slots do not have to be filled in SOAP, or at all. A Derm program is probably trolling through them for stellar apps and then may just wait and fill outside the match somewhere.

No, they don't have to fill in the SOAP. After the end of SOAP tomorrow, they can go outside the Match and get someone.

Are you an IMG or old graduate?? Why do you think its the end of the road for you?? DON'T GIVE UP!!!
I am both an IMG and an older grad:)) I guess this means the end of the road for me??:) even with a greencard!
anyone knows anything about becoming a surgical first assistant? good? bad? no jobs? plenty of jobs??

I am both an IMG and an older grad:)) I guess this means the end of the road for me??:) even with a greencard!
anyone knows anything about becoming a surgical first assistant? good? bad? no jobs? plenty of jobs??

after seeing your avatar pic, i might have to sleep with the lights on tonight

Reactions: 1 users
IT WORKED:))
finally a comment on my bizarre avatar!

Holy **** my sister got 5 offers for medicine prelim, we were screaming. She is DO, matched advanced into Neuro. 4 more med prelim spots will be available for the next round.

I think I know your sister. I am so, so, so happy for her! She's going to be an excellent neurologist!