SOAP 2014 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which field are you trying to SOAP into?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is anyone applying to the same programs they heard nothing from so far and remains unfilled? Would that waste an application?

I have to stay in the South Florida area for family reasons.. so yeah.. I'm going to apply again to the same programs!!! One of the programs I applied to still has 5 positions available! They didn't called me :( I hope I have a chance this 2nd time around!

Members don't see this ad.

the list I have on my NRMP page says "updated at 1:30 -ET"
are you guys sure this is the final update? something looks wrong here, the final aupdate should come after the rounds are done by 2pm ET
check please and tell me if you have a different update time than mine

are you guys turning your 10 applications before second rounds of offers or after??? (they might update list after round 2... and dont want to waste applications on programs that fill after round 2)

so if we apply to new ones, do old unfilled programs not contact us anymore?

I have to stay in the South Florida area for family reasons.. so yeah.. I'm going to apply again to the same programs!!! One of the programs I applied to still has 5 positions available! They didn't called me :( I hope I have a chance this 2nd time around!

Wait, I was just told that we don't need to reapply to the same programs you already applied to in SOAP. Is there even an option to do that in eras?

Wait, I was just told that we don't need to reapply to the same programs you already applied to in SOAP. Is there even an option to do that in eras?
I'm still not sure what it's going to happen at 2:30pm... but there is an area on eras that says "Re-apply to programs" when you enter to the Programs tab!

if you have already applied somewhere in SOAP you do NOT need to apply to that place again they already have your application and they can still consider you for the next rounds. the 10 is just an ADDITIONAL 10 to the original 35...so 10 new places to apply but to be honest i dont think programs will even look at these 10 because they have so many from the original 30, enough to fill their spots without having to again go through new applications, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my first call a few minutes ago! (prelim surgery)

I had actually reserved 5 of the original 35 allotment to send off to new programs this morning. The call I just got was from one of the 5 programs I just added this morning.

Well, I didn't apply to anything except family medicine bc that is my desired field. Family medicine is really geared toward the family as a whole. It mildly upsets me that others applied to a less desired specialty because it was "easier" to get into. I really hope that as you go through family medicine you can really value and appreciate the practice as it is meant to be-- for the whole family.

I didnt mean it that way. I'd still feel confused as I am if I just fell into a more "desired" specialty like urology or something. It's just that for the past 4 years, everything has been peds peds peds peds. Pediatric rotations. Pediatric research. Pediatric LORs. Pediatric personal statement. Pediatric everything. And now just today I'm realizing that I'm not going to be a pediatrician, but a family physician instead. It's like finding out that you're adopted or something

Reactions: 1 user
if you have already applied somewhere in SOAP you do NOT need to apply to that place again they already have your application and they can still consider you for the next rounds. the 10 is just an ADDITIONAL 10 to the original 35...so 10 new places to apply but to be honest i dont think programs will even look at these 10 because they have so many from the original 30, enough to fill their spots without having to again go through new applications, etc.

Unless the people they had on their original list accepted offers from other programs and are no longer available. Some programs won't have time to download and review new applications before the Round 2 offers go out, but some will, and there will still be some programs participating after Round 2. Bottom line, it can't hurt to send out 10 more applications to different programs

Reactions: 1 user
thank you

Ok I just saw a program in FL with 5 unfilled positions then rechecked and its gone. WHAT??? Is this happening to anyone else??

That's great. Eras website:
Service Temporarily Unavailable
We are currently working with the NRMP to finalize the eligible applicants and programs for ERAS Cycle 2. Please check back regularly for updates"

I didnt mean it that way. I'd still feel confused as I am if I just fell into a more "desired" specialty like urology or something. It's just that for the past 4 years, everything has been peds peds peds peds. Pediatric rotations. Pediatric research. Pediatric LORs. Pediatric personal statement. Pediatric everything. And now just today I'm realizing that I'm not going to be a pediatrician, but a family physician instead. It's like finding out that you're adopted or something
You can re-apply to peds next year if you really want to

don't we have to start applying now? how can we, if this site is down?

is everyone planning to apply for the extra 10 now or wait till after the next round is over at 5 pm?

is everyone planning to apply for the extra 10 now or wait till after the next round is over at 5 pm?
i think that is a better strategy just so you don't waste any applications now for spots that are just gonna fill. they may not even look at your application. seems like it would be a waste if you dropped all 10 now.

Seems I can't even drop a single application now since the site is still down.

may be a bit too late to ask for this, but if I dont have the letter of california I still CANNOT apply to cali programs, right or wrong?

You can re-apply to peds next year if you really want to

I know, but its much harder to get into as a re-applicant. And it's real discouraging considering I already went on 15 peds interviews and none of them wanted me.

may be a bit too late to ask for this, but if I dont have the letter of california I still CANNOT apply to cali programs, right or wrong?
Right.... my friend is a residency coordinator at one of the cali hospitals and she told me that they wont even look at you if you dont have your PTAL letter... they wont even look at you if you just have the receipt..... it has to be the PTAL letter

I havent been able to apply to a single program since ERAS hasn't been working. What is up with this???

they have 15 minutes to do something before round 2 offers go out.

Good luck on round 2 you guys, all of you will be on my mind

I want this day to be over... whatever the results are!! This is too much stress!

btw how do the programs know who accepted their offer or accepted another offer so they don't pursue that candidate anymore?

No point in applying now. Program lists need to be submitted and certified in 7 minutes. There's not enough time to apply, download, and look at new applicants, so we're better off just waiting till round 2 is over...

No point in applying now. Program lists need to be submitted and certified in 7 minutes. There's not enough time to apply, download, and look at new applicants, so we're better off just waiting till round 2 is over...
great point

This is ridiculous. I hope they do a round 4 or something to make up for the lack of a round 2

seems like the likelihood of receiving an offer round 2 after not getting one in round 1 are slim to none.

anyone applying now other than waiting for list update?

I was trying to re-apply to the same programs for cycle 2 but apparently there is no need.. Can anybody confirm this?

Only 2 spots left at any place I spoke to.

Getting ready to march into hell.