So, why radiation oncology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't think of a better title for this thread...

Question for those of you who were deciding between radiation oncology and surgical fields. How much "working with the hands" do you do as a radiation oncologist? Do you find that you satisfy that desire to "do" procedures? If you were deciding between radiation oncology and any other field, I'd also love to hear what ended up tipping your choice toward radiation oncology. (Any regrets?)

Members don't see this ad.

Me: Interested in Neuro-Onc
Considered: Med Onc (General) vs Rad Onc vs Neuro Onc vs Surg Onc
What tipped me to Rad Onc:
Med Onc (General) = had no desire to do a general medicine residency; thought about fast-tracking through ABIM pathway but was hesitant to sign a seven year contract
Neuro Onc = had no desire to do a general neurology residency; had a bad experience during my MS3 neurology rotation
Surg Onc = had no desire to do a general surgery residency; statistically, chances at matching at a good surg onc program were not great; was not particularly eager to take 2 extra years off to do a fellowship in the middle of gen surg residency

Regrets for choosing Rad Onc: NONE

Working w/ hands and "doing" stuff in Rad Onc: There are a lot of procedures. If surgery is your thing (not mine) you can focus on LDR/HDR. Generally done for GU/GYN at all institutions but at centers which specialize in brachytherapy you can also get exposure to H&N, CNS, extremity sarcoma, breast, lung, etc. If you like working with computers (I do) then there is a lot of cool stuff to work with.

Thanks Gfunk, that is exactly the kind of post(s) I was hoping to get on here. So helpful to see the though process of those who have gone before and see how happy they are with their decision. Thank you so much!

Can't wait to see if anyone else contributes!

Members don't see this ad :)
The sound of suction in the OR is like a million fingers scraping across the world's largest blackboard to me, which more or less nixed a surgical career. Strange, but true.

dont rad oncos have way higher cancer rates than average?

dont rad oncos have way higher cancer rates than average?

Nope. If anything rad oncs receive less dose than most physicians. They're also more strictly monitored than most physicians. Typically, it's the interventional guys who work under fluoroscopy that receive the highest radiation doses. (interventional radiologists, interventional cardiologists, etc.)

Rad oncs don't stand in the treatment rooms while treatments are going on. =P

In general, I found that I was drawn to oncology for the patients and the science. I found working with cancer patients to be the most rewarding during my third year - I always remembered the person, not just the "interesting case." As for the science, we really have done some amazing things, but there's still so much more to discover, exciting stuff. I became more interested in radiation oncology (over med onc) for the physics/technology aspects, the radiation oncologists themselves (I fit in, I think) and the chance to bridge all that technology & science with someone struggling with cancer.

Oh yeah, I pretty much knew from the start that I was not a surgical type, even though what they do is very cool.