So Stressed out please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PodAllTWay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,

I'm officially depressed. I received a letter today in the mail from Temple, I was so excited to receive this letter, however it was a rejection letter from Temple. They're letting me know that they will not grant me an interview for the 2016 class. I'm assuming they're rejected me is because they did not receive any of my LOR. My LOR from the podiatrist just got sent out last tuesday, and the LOR from my 2 professors just got sent out today. To add to that, I'm pretty sure they did not receive my DAT score, because it just got sent out this monday.
OMG, what should i do guys? :((((. would they even look at my application again once they received everything? or its in the trash already.? what should i do.?

here are my background info:
DAT: 19 AA
undergrad GPA: science 2.71/non-science 3.33/total 2.94
Graduate GPA: science 4.0
I'm currently working on my master in environmental and chemical science with the concentration in Biochemistry, and will be graduating in May.

Please help me out guys! What should i do.?:(:(:(:(:(:(

Members don't see this ad.

This may or may not be good advise, I welcome others to critique it.

You might have to tough it out, start your 3 month study session soon, and take the MCAT in Jan, Feb, or March..

The other question is did your letters suck? Did you have someone peer review your personal statement? Did you read the recommendations from your professors and pod? Are they good?

Pod schools take the MCAT more seriously AND you open up your chances to the other 7 pod schools. If you got a 19 on the DAT, I suspect that you can get an acceptable score on the MCAT.

As you mentioned, you screwed up your senior year in undergrad pretty badly. I think this looks much worse than screwing up for the first 2 years, and then having a big upward trend. Overall, I'm surprised that they canned you like that with your 4.0 grad GPA.

Unfortunately I don't think any school will reverse a rejection, but it's worth a shot to give Temple a call tomorrow and ask them if it's possible, why they rejected you, and that you are willing to do anything such as taking the MCAT to show your dedication and knowledge.

Cliffs: I think you might need to take the MCAT (it's not that bad)

Don't take this wrong way but people have reported receiving interview invites from Temple before their test score or letter of rec were received. It's most likely that your denial was because they looked at your undergrad GPA and screened you out.

Luckily your graduate GPA is much better, and there are 8 other podiatry schools you still have a good chance at. Like Ferocity said, chances that a school reverses a rejection is pretty low, so don't get too hung up over Temple (unless that was the only school you wanted to attend for some reason)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take this wrong way but people have reported receiving interview invites from Temple before their test score or letter of rec were received. It's most likely that your denial was because they looked at your undergrad GPA and screened you out.

Luckily your graduate GPA is much better, and there are 8 other podiatry schools you still have a good chance at. Like Ferocity said, chances that a school reverses a rejection is pretty low, so don't get too hung up over Temple (unless that was the only school you wanted to attend for some reason)

You don't know that and I have a suspicion that it may have been a culmination of different factors such as: they've already accepted too many DAT scores and only want MCAT scores, they only accept DAT scores coupled with high GPAs, letters are not up to snuff, etc..

thanks a lot guys! I'll schedule to take the MCAT next year, maybe its best if i take a year off after graduation, then apply again next year.

sincerely

thanks a lot guys! I'll schedule to take the MCAT next year, maybe its best if i take a year off after graduation, then apply again next year.

sincerely

What happened with NYCPM?

You don't have to wait to apply again next year. Update your aacpmas application to indicate that you have a scheduled MCAT pending. Apply to the rest of the schools and call to let them know about the pending MCAT.

You might receive invitations and conditional acceptances.

Temple threw away all my LOR's because they arrived about 2-3 weeks before the new cycle opened up. They granted me an interview, I attended, and was offered a conditional acceptance pending LOR's.

Awhile later they sent me an email saying I am being considered for rejection because of an incomplete file... The pods/profs were taking forever to send out the new letters.

I wrote them back explaining the situation and they extended the time before I would be rejected.

Did you ever get an email like that?

(Luckily the next week my letters all arrived.)

What happened with NYCPM?

You don't have to wait to apply again next year. Update your aacpmas application to indicate that you have a scheduled MCAT pending. Apply to the rest of the schools and call to let them know about the pending MCAT.

You might receive invitations and conditional acceptances.

I received an email from NYCPM stated that they will look over my application once they're received everything. LOR and test score. as far as re-apply to the rest of the school, can i use interfolio to send out my LOR all at once.?

Temple threw away all my LOR's because they arrived about 2-3 weeks before the new cycle opened up. They granted me an interview, I attended, and was offered a conditional acceptance pending LOR's.

Awhile later they sent me an email saying I am being considered for rejection because of an incomplete file... The pods/profs were taking forever to send out the new letters.

I wrote them back explaining the situation and they extended the time before I would be rejected.

Did you ever get an email like that?

(Luckily the next week my letters all arrived.)

I have not receive any email from them at all, just received a rejection letter in the mail today. The feeling of getting reject from my #1 choice is worse then the feeling when i broke up with my ex. LOL..... no lies

I have not receive any email from them at all, just received a rejection letter in the mail today. The feeling of getting reject from my #1 choice is worse then the feeling when i broke up with my ex. LOL..... no lies

take the MCAT and send it in to the remaining schools... Or reapply next year.

With your grad GPA someone will take you. But the DAT is hurting your chances, even at schools that accept the DAT.

its still super early in the cycle. If you passed on Temple you could still start this cycle but you would have to attend another school.

its always worth calling Temple and asking for an extension.

Temple seems to be a little more selective than some of the other schools. Though I highly doubt they rejected you because they hadn't received your LOR. I would say two things hurt you - Your science GPA is a little on the low end and you never took the MCAT. A 19 DAT is pretty good (not great) but the schools either don't care or don't know what a 19 actually means and it makes their acceptance stats look "bad." I am willing to bet that when you do take the MCAT you will easily get a score that will get you accepted and since you can't change you undergraduate GPA you just have to keep doing well in your grad courses. Two questions though, what was your DAT Total Science Score and what is your actual graduate GPA? If you want honest advice you have to put all of the numbers out there.

Temple seems to be a little more selective than some of the other schools. Though I highly doubt they rejected you because they hadn't received your LOR. I would say two things hurt you - Your science GPA is a little on the low end and you never took the MCAT. A 19 DAT is pretty good (not great) but the schools either don't care or don't know what a 19 actually means and it makes their acceptance stats look "bad." I am willing to bet that when you do take the MCAT you will easily get a score that will get you accepted and since you can't change you undergraduate GPA you just have to keep doing well in your grad courses. Two questions though, what was your DAT Total Science Score and what is your actual graduate GPA? If you want honest advice you have to put all of the numbers out there.
Hi thank you your input,
my Total Science Score is a 18 (Bio 17, Chem 18, O-CHem 19). My current Graduate GPA is a 4.0. All I have taking so far are all science courses. I spoke to an advisor at Temple yesterday, the reason that I got rejected are due to the bad grades that i received in my science courses during my last 3 semesters of undergrad. So my plans is to take the MCAT in january and take some upper biology courses after I finish with my M.S in May. Then I'll re-apply again next year for the class of 2017. What do you think.? its a good plans.?

Hi thank you your input,
my Total Science Score is a 18 (Bio 17, Chem 18, O-CHem 19). My current Graduate GPA is a 4.0. All I have taking so far are all science courses. I spoke to an advisor at Temple yesterday, the reason that I got rejected are due to the bad grades that i received in my science courses during my last 3 semesters of undergrad. So my plans is to take the MCAT in january and take some upper biology courses after I finish with my M.S in May. Then I'll re-apply again next year for the class of 2017. What do you think.? its a good plans.?

They think you can't perform in science courses because of your bad science course grades. You can prove them wrong by getting a high MCAT score and A's in any science courses you take from now on. I would suggest checking out other schools like OCPM, Barry and NYCPM. Those 3 schools seem to be more likely to take someone with lower grades and DATs than Temple. You might even want to try applying to those three this year and see if you get accepted (if you don't mind moving to OH, FL or NY). Though if moving concerns you, keep in mind that there is a good chance you might have to move for residency anyways.

They think you can't perform in science courses because of your bad science course grades. You can prove them wrong by getting a high MCAT score and A's in any science courses you take from now on. I would suggest checking out other schools like OCPM, Barry and NYCPM. Those 3 schools seem to be more likely to take someone with lower grades and DATs than Temple. You might even want to try applying to those three this year and see if you get accepted (if you don't mind moving to OH, FL or NY). Though if moving concerns you, keep in mind that there is a good chance you might have to move for residency anyways.

Thank you for all your advice....I would love to move to OH, I was originally from akron, ohio. However, I believe OH only accept Mcat, only temple and NY accept DAT this cycle. I was hoping that the adcom would look pass my undergrad GPA, since I'll graduate from my M.S program in may....but man i was soooooooo wrong!

:love::love::love::love::love:

I would call all of the schools you are interested in and ask them if they will take the DAT. Some of them may advertise that they only take the MCAT but are willing to make exceptions depending on the rest of the application. Also, you could always take the MCAT before this cycle ends and apply to other schools (if you are prepared to do so).

I tend to agree with ferocity on this one - especially because if they did pre-screen you for your GPA there isn't anything you can do about it, so you're better off just studying your ass off and then taking the MCAT in january and get a really good score.

Ferocity makes some other good points though, if your LORs were actually letters of condemnation, you might be SOL