So I've done the basic premed things: what else can set me apart?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_J_Man

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all and thanks in advance for the feedback,

So to start off, my dream school is the Uniformed Services University. The average GPA of matriculants is 3.66 and the average MCAT is a 32 (old), with about a 6% acceptance rate.

I've already done the general pre-medical stuff and I am looking for ideas about what else I can do to strengthen my chances for the aforementioned school.
Here's the main things

Education: B.S. Cell and Molecular biology GPA 3.3 (C's in chemistry courses, excluding biochem), M.S. Biology (nearly finished) GPA 3.8.

Extras: 5 years/ ~2,500 hours research, one publication, one publication in the works, 6 years prior military USMCR Sergeant, 700+ hours clinical experience as ER medical scribe, 50 hours of volunteerism at a free clinic, ~50 hours volunteerism science outreach, 2 years employment as a media prep lab technician, 3 years student government, ex VP biology club, ex senator biology club, Treasurer pre med club, ex senator pre med club, TA for about 20 courses with most being microbiology and molecular biology courses, a couple presentations at local/regional conferences.

I realize that I should do more volunteer work and I ought to shadow a few different specialties. Also a MCAT in the 70th - 80th range is an obvious must. What else might you suggest that would help me stand apart from the crowd?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably show some sort of interest in the military considering your dream school

Reactions: 1 user
OP has 6 years US Marine Reserve as a Sergeant and that is likely sufficient. But the OP must get a new MCAT as according to the link below, for the 2018 cycle, USUHS will only accept the "2015" or "new/M5" MCAT. The old score is invalid. And he/she needs to really nail the exam

View attachment 229964
View attachment 229963
View attachment 229962

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...14/14-027_mcat_school_policies_april_2016.pdf

Wow idk how I missed that... It was too early

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all and thanks in advance for the feedback,

So to start off, my dream school is the Uniformed Services University. The average GPA of matriculants is 3.66 and the average MCAT is a 32 (old), with about a 6% acceptance rate.

I've already done the general pre-medical stuff and I am looking for ideas about what else I can do to strengthen my chances for the aforementioned school.
Here's the main things

Education: B.S. Cell and Molecular biology GPA 3.3 (C's in chemistry courses, excluding biochem), M.S. Biology (nearly finished) GPA 3.8.

Extras: 5 years/ ~2,500 hours research, one publication, one publication in the works, 6 years prior military USMCR Sergeant, 700+ hours clinical experience as ER medical scribe, 50 hours of volunteerism at a free clinic, ~50 hours volunteerism science outreach, 2 years employment as a media prep lab technician, 3 years student government, ex VP biology club, ex senator biology club, Treasurer pre med club, ex senator pre med club, TA for about 20 courses with most being microbiology and molecular biology courses, a couple presentations at local/regional conferences.

I realize that I should do more volunteer work and I ought to shadow a few different specialties. Also a MCAT in the 70th - 80th range is an obvious must. What else might you suggest that would help me stand apart from the crowd?

They look at your GPA and MCAT obviously, but the next big things are clinical experience and commitment to service. You've got military experience which will certainly help convince them that you know what it is to serve and want to do it as a physician, and you have a lot of clinical experience. Your GPA is a little low. Do you have an upward trend? They will look at your last 30-60 credits and weigh those the most. They also weigh postbacc GPAs more heavily, but I'm not sure about masters programs. If it has upper level sciences (which I'm guessing an MS in biology does), it will probably help you. You need to knock the MCAT out of the park.

Focus on the MCAT, do some shadowing, and find something about you that is unique. A cool hobby, an artistic endeavor, etc. This will give you something to distinguish yourself from the rest. They interview like 13% of applicants and admit about half of those. You want to be in that 13%.

Your GPA is a little low. Do you have an upward trend? They will look at your last 30-60 credits and weigh those the most. They also weigh postbacc GPAs more heavily, but I'm not sure about masters programs.

I've done 92 Quarter credits in graduate school, 15 A's, 5 A-'s, 1 B, 1 B-. I know my GPA is my major weak point. I've heard that how they calculate the GPA is idiosyncratic to the school, with different universities weighting it differently.

I've done 92 Quarter credits in graduate school, 15 A's, 5 A-'s, 1 B, 1 B-. I know my GPA is my major weak point. I've heard that how they calculate the GPA is idiosyncratic to the school, with different universities weighting it differently.

USUHS weighs your most recent credits more heavily.