So I need some help with some ideas...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sellout59

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, this isnt really about any classes, but I'm a second year pharm student and next week I will be giving a presentation to a group of 6-8 year olds about what exactly a pharmacist does; fill and check meds, bp, vaccines, flavor their medications etc... Anyway, I was trying to think of a way to make it fun, and aside from giving them empty pill bottles and having them "fill" a prescription with candy I cant think of anything.

I dont want to do that for somewhat obvious reasons.

So does anyone have any ideas to make it fun? I'm totally drawing a blank.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You could have an array of different candies in white manufacturer bottles with the labels of the candy names on the bottles on one table, and then you give the kid a script (writing a sig in which they can understand...probably writing out all the words.) for that candy and have them count it out and bottle it. That is just one suggestion to expand upon your original idea. You could also try the styrofoam cup with strings attached to simulate a phone and you can verbally ring and pretend that you are the insurance and before that kid fills, say that the person who gave the white piece of paper with instructions can't fill it because he's had too much candy for the day and that person has to come back tomorrow to get candy. Also indicate they obtained candy from another store. Just a suggestion I guess (never tried it). Good luck. :thumbup:

Sorry, this isnt really about any classes, but I'm a second year pharm student and next week I will be giving a presentation to a group of 6-8 year olds about what exactly a pharmacist does; fill and check meds, bp, vaccines, flavor their medications etc... Anyway, I was trying to think of a way to make it fun, and aside from giving them empty pill bottles and having them "fill" a prescription with candy I cant think of anything.

I dont want to do that for somewhat obvious reasons.

So does anyone have any ideas to make it fun? I'm totally drawing a blank.

Thanks

Ask the children if they go to the doctor. Tell them you work with their doctor to make sure they stay healthy.

They'll still ask questions, so ask if anyone can't eat a certain food and explain what allergies are; ask if anyone has them, make a joke.

Use the candy idea, but explain that some candies taste great together, but other don't at all.

If you do use the candy idea and put candy in unlabeled bottles, explain they should NEVER touch prescription bottles and send them home with plain candy in bags (You've also just introduced counseling on a level they can understand).

These are six year-olds, you don't want them imitating you.

Hope that helps.