So I just withdrew - hurt chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ur2l8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to medical schools next year. I just withdrew from my calc 2 class. I predicted that it would have dropped my highest possible GPA (when applying to schools) from 3.7 to 3.2, if I had gotten a B (or worse, a C).

My question is:

Since I dropped Calc 2 and dropped micro economics my first freshman semester, will it hurt my chances of getting into top 25 medical schools? (assumptions being: average MCAT and ECs for those schools)

So basically.

Withdraw pass: Calc2/Microeconomics
+3.77 GPA
+good enough MCAT and ECs

???

How much will the withdrawals hurt?

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying to medical schools next year. I just withdrew from my calc 2 class. I predicted that it would have dropped my highest possible GPA (when applying to schools) from 3.7 to 3.2, if I had gotten a B (or worse, a C).

My question is:

Since I dropped Calc 2 and dropped micro economics my first freshman semester, will it hurt my chances of getting into top 25 medical schools? (assumptions being: average MCAT and ECs for those schools)

So basically.

+3.77 GPA

???

Thanks everyone

Top 25? Yeah. Of course it will hurt. It will hurt for any school - seeing as it certainly won't add to your application. The damage is minor though, especially as long as you won't withdraw anymore!

As for the top 25 schools, its not like this killed it for you, but bear in mind that you are competing against flawless applicants. Are you out of the game? No. Will you need slightly better EC's, and MCAT to overcompensate for those two W's if you want to get into the top 25? You bet your ass you do!

Good luck!

My question is:

So basically.

+3.77 GPA

???

Thanks everyone

I say the 3.2 would hurt your chances more than the withdrawal, so you did the right thing. Whether of not you have a shot at top 25 (regardless of your withdrawal) is still too early to tell.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I meant 3.72!!!

Can't edit now because I'm on my phone.

One withdrawal or even two won't hurt your chances much, but a 3.2 will. I think you made the right decision.

I think you made the right call. Also, consider which schools you are going to apply to. Calc 2 is not required at many schools. Calc 1 + Statistics will suffice at many more. Time to do some school specific research. Well played protecting your GPA.

I think you made the right call. Also, consider which schools you are going to apply to. Calc 2 is not required at many schools. Calc 1 + Statistics will suffice at many more. Time to do some school specific research. Well played protecting your GPA.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12289408&postcount=4

http://students.rice.edu/images/students/AADV/OWeek2008AADVResources/AP%20credit%20-%20allopathic%20medicine-%20updated%20summer%202010.pdf

maybe that will help

Some schools require calculus, be it calc 1 or calc2.

Did you take statistics or any other math class....I'm pretty sure almost every medical school requires one of the two.