So how many GI programs are you applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still researching, but I think at least 40....New York alone has 24 programs! crazy!

Members don't see this ad.

come on is it too early to start the discussion on the current GI application cycle? Any input from current GI fellows or graduates as to how many programs you applied to? Thanks!

Hi Dr. Don,

You'll find in coming months that unfortunately this is not a very active forum.

Anyway, as for how many apps, it really depends. GI is definitely more competitve than IM residency applications. At the same time, when I interviewed, I met applicants from Hopkins/MGH/etc. who applied to <10 programs. Within my own IM program, we ranged from ~10 programs to 30+. It all depends on your competitiveness, comfort level, financial status (app fees, flights, etc.), and willingness to travel to interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
When will the NRMP site let us register for the 2010 GI match?

Hi, I am also thinking of applying to a lot of programs, probably more than hundred. .. I think being an IMG, although doing residency from uni program, dont have much choice..

I think IMG's have to apply to as many and as broadly as you can!!!!

Hi guys, I am really surprised...Do we need to apply to more than 100 programs? I am an IMG doing IM residency at a community hospital. I have 10 national poster presentation(8 in GI) and only one publication. Do I stand a chance for fellowship interview. Do the PDs consider poster presentations at all? can anyone please help me. Thanks

Thanks namrata, I havent had any interviews yet. I am still in application phase and was worried about my chances of getting an interview.
I will wait for your info.

Thanks namrata, I havent had any interviews yet. I am still in application phase and was worried about my chances of getting an interview.
I will wait for your info.

I have 28 programs on my queue, but I'm gonna start out applying to 10 programs and broaden from there if I don't get much activity by late December.

i have finally appled to 146 programs.. nothing lost except money ..and 2 mths pay . almost :(

hey everyone, GI hopeful here, applied to 75 programs total....no action yet except for downloads...good luck everyone!

no activity here either...not looking forward to getting addicted to checking my e-mail

iphone makes the whole process even worse i guess. i am already checking emails 10-15 times a day.. no luck yet... though most of the programs have downloaded complete application..