snippy pre med advisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaki

needs help
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
on the phone:

her: You have a BFA in animation?
me: yes
her: and you want to go into psychiatry?
her: what for?? (incredulously)

from start to finish she talked to me like I was wasting her time :(

i just wanted to vent :(

Members don't see this ad.

Is this the school you will be going to, or one you are looking at?

Give him benefit of the doubt and show you are serious. Maybe he had a bad day, and maybe lots of people call up not being serious to waste his time. Not an excuse for rudeness - BUT if you are presistant, hopefully he'll come around.

Good luck. :)

gaki said:
on the phone:

her: You have a BFA in animation?
her: and you want to go into psychiatry?
her: what for?? (incredulously)

from start to finish she talked to me like I was wasting her time :(

i just wanted to vent :(

We sure hear a lot about malignant premed advisors on SDN. Screw 'em!

It's YOUR life, and YOUR career, and don't let some sour a-hole screw up YOUR dreams. Use them for what they're good for, do your own research (I've seen quite a bit of bad information stories posted, and received some bad information myself), and roll right over these speedbumps.

Members don't see this ad :)
flighterdoc said:

It's YOUR life, and YOUR career, and don't let some sour a-hole screw up YOUR dreams. Use them for what they're good for, do your own research (I've seen quite a bit of bad information stories posted, and received some bad information myself), and roll right over these speedbumps.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I saw one pre-med advisor ONCE, emailed another a couple of times (we had a switch in pre-med advisors)... I basically did the entire pre-med thing alone and on my own without much direction... Told my academic advisor what i was doing and how (apparently that had never happened to him before). So I ended up with a major in Chinese, a minor in Organic Chem and having to reapply to med school after learning HOW to do it all the hard way (I didn't find out about this site until AFTER I had finished applying, had a couple of interviews and all that good stuff.

Just keep going... I totally agree with fighterdoc... go for YOUR dream, who cares what the pre-med advisor thinks. (though you might be asked why you want to change career fields in an interview, so be prepared for that) Just go for it!

I am still waiting for my pre-med advisor to give me his opinion so I can submit my AMCAS :(

(I submitted it anyway :laugh: )

such support on these forums. yay :)

chopper.. It it the school I am going to. Hopefully you are right. Another friend I complained to about it suggested the same thing as you. I will just have to work with it and see how it goes I guess.

flighterdoc and TranquilityLove.. thanks much for your support. I think I am doing alright figuring out what to do, between this board and individual med school websites.. I was a little worried about those med schools that want one of the letters of recommendation to be from a pre med advisor or committee.. I wonder if she is going to be a real pain in the butt to me about this. I am not going to be a premed major either. I am going to take premed classes here and there as a psychology major.

Nubian Princess.. what is AMCAS? another one of the many acronyms I do not know. :p

Thanks again folks :thumbup:

gaki said:

chopper.. It it the school I am going to. Hopefully you are right. Another friend I complained to about it suggested the same thing as you. I will just have to work with it and see how it goes I guess.

flighterdoc and TranquilityLove.. thanks much for your support. I think I am doing alright figuring out what to do, between this board and individual med school websites.. I was a little worried about those med schools that want one of the letters of recommendation to be from a pre med advisor or committee.. I wonder if she is going to be a real pain in the butt to me about this. I am not going to be a premed major either. I am going to take premed classes here and there as a psychology major.

Nubian Princess.. what is AMCAS? another one of the many acronyms I do not know. :p

First, :love: the Gir avatar. :D

Second, AMCAS stands for, "American Medical College Application Service." It's the umbrella organization that centralizes the primary app process for ~110 schools. Pretty convenient.

Third, listen to the people here. There's lots of good information here and on www.oldpremeds.org.

Glad to have you aboard. :)

gaki said:

Just remember, we're here to answer questions.
~50% of the time, we'll be correct, too!

Hang in, charge forward, don't let the bastards see you cry.

flighterdoc said:

:thumbup: EXACTLY.

Gaki, welcome and good luck. There are some really smart, good people here... and no matter what other disagreements or silly debates there might be, you can tell the good ones because they encourage and support people who are in the same boat.

And like FlightER says, we're even right approximately half the time!

-------------
Electing Republicans is like asking your boss to help you look for a new job, or asking your mechanic to help you buy a new car.
BA, NREMT-B
My medical education goes to 2011.

I had an experience that I will never forget when it was time to apply to medical school. I went to my pre-med advisor to have my preliminary interview with him and discuss application strategies.

I walked into his office excited and confident. He tore me to pieces from our first interaction to the last. He blasted my honors thesis that dealt with cultural differences in health care delivery (which was over 120 pages and a year's worth of research I might add) and went as far as to tell me it was a worthless waste of time and that it would not matter to admissions committees. I will tell you that I left after an hour's worth of thrashing wondering if I had made a mistake in choosing to go to med school. ROUGH DAY.

I contacted him afterwards to discuss my application with him. He apologized to me and stated that he wanted to prepare me for possible difficult interviews to come. He did not want me thinking it would be easy. He sat down with me and asked me to read my recommendation letter to be sure it was accurate. He made it sound like I was the perfect applicant and that I should not be passed by--it would be a horrible mistake on their part if they did. When I got in, he really whooped it up with me in celebration.

The moral of the story is that even though your pre-med advisor can be difficult, make sure that he/she is not trying to help you in some sort of weird way.