snell is not helping me...a couple of questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenLedbetter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that a cervical herniated disc at C5-C6 will cause a textbook compression the c6 spinal nerve. and same with the lumber (L5-L6 >>L6 compression). How are the compression patterns of osteophytes different?

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I understand that a cervical herniated disc at C5-C6 will cause a textbook compression the c6 spinal nerve. and same with the lumber (L5-L6 >>L6 compression). How are the compression patterns of osteophytes different?

Thanks for any help.

First of all, your post is not exactly accurate. Remember at the cervical level the corresponding nerve exit aboves the numbered vertebral level so above C6 exits C6 so a disc C5-C6 will actually compress C7 not C6 most of the time. Second, there are only 5 lumbar vertebrae not 6 as your text states. So, an L5-S1 disc herniation will compress S1 most often. As for osteophytes, it depends on the location of the osteophyte, really anything is possible when it comes to osteophytes.