Just a couple questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polojoe12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started pre-med so im still pretty ignorant about medicine.

As as resident in neurosurgery for six years is it true that they only pay you abour 40k a year for 80+hrs a week? That seems a little insane considering the massive ammounts of debt you will be paying back, am i wrong?

Also 6 years is a long time, im very prone to accidents. If i happended to break my hand, would my career be over, just like that?

when i get nervous, my hands tend to shake... a lot. Am i looking in the wrong field?

Members don't see this ad.

you'll know more when you get to med school and start your rotations and see if your grades will allow you to pursue ns. just concentrate right now on getting good grades and spanking the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
polojoe12 said:
As as resident in neurosurgery for six years is it true that they only pay you abour 40k a year for 80+hrs a week? That seems a little insane considering the massive ammounts of debt you will be paying back, am i wrong?

Also 6 years is a long time, im very prone to accidents. If i happended to break my hand, would my career be over, just like that?

when i get nervous, my hands tend to shake... a lot. Am i looking in the wrong field?

Go read about NS on nsmatch.com. Residency is certainly brutal and even afterwards it's no picnic.

Doctors are normally insured in case they are injured and can't work.

If your hands really do shake "a lot", surgery is probably the wrong field for you. I don't think there's any way around that; surgeons need to be calm under pressure since things will go wrong (ie, aneurysm will burst, patient will crash, etc.)

To get a better idea about NS take a look at reading a few popular books such as When the Air Hits Your Brain by Vertosick.

Fedor -

that is officially the coolest avatar on the board. cheers

is private practice also that hard. i mean, i need to sleep :(