SMU KISM or hold out for PhD MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need some advice. I am a Canadian wanting to practice surgery in the US. My background was business and decided to make a change. I took the MCAT and did ?not so well? 17, but that was to be expected with no science classes. I did however manage to get accepted to a few Caribbean schools (SMU being the best of the bunch) and a school in Cambridge England, KISM. Although that was the plan over all, because I did not even apply anywhere else things have changed. ???.

I have been offered to do a PhD with an MD from a professor (associate) moving to the US. She keeps telling me it won?t be a problem to get me in to a joint PhD MD but I have my doubts. If I wait a year and see will I be shooting myself in the foot, or is there a chance this can work?? She has offers from some of the ?better known? in the US and England.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry I can't offer any input on your question and instead have one of my own......you got into SMU with NO science courses? I read that in another thread also and my eyes almost popped out of my head, hell they wouldn't even consider my app just because i was missing one freakin prereq even though i met all the other requirements and then some! I finally finished it and submitted it and was accepted.

Please respond because I am very seriously considering SMU and if the school is really that inconsistent with their standards I would like to know now before I entrust my future to them.

Sorry to confuse you, I took the MCAT before I had any sciences, then i went back to do all the requirements. So I have all and then some. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Aaron

Thanks for clarifying. I will attend SMU this fall and when you said that about the science courses, or rather when I misinterpreted, that kind of set off a red flag. Good luck!

By the way, I'd go with SMU! (and I am)