SMP vs. Clinical Job? Help an SDNer out please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATN19

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there wants to put their 2 cents into my situation.

Stats: 3.4 cumulative from Northwestern, 3.1 BCPM, 31S (9PS, 9BS, 13V). Last cycle, I interviewed at 3 TX schools but was not matched at any school and waitlisted (and finally rejected) from one. I've decided to take 2 years off to improve my application before applying in summer 2006 for fall 2007 matriculation.

I've been accepted to BU MAMS, Drexel IMS and Loyola MAMS. I also just got a job offer at Northwestern Memorial Hospital working with a TOP GI doctor; according to the other doctors, residents, students, etc working under him he's the #1 guy in all things dealing with the esophagus. It's a 2 year commitment and I'd be running the manometry lab on my own within the GI lab, meaning I get my own patients (both clinical and research purposes) and I'll have multiple opportunities to be published (probably 5+ abstracts and 1-2 papers).

IMHO, my app was weak b/c of 1) below average BCPM, 2) average science scores on the MCAT, 3) limited clinical exposure (did some shadowing one sumer, 2 years of bench research, but that's it) and 4) sorta being wishy-washy on why I think I'd make a good doctor.

I'm getting ulcers (j/k) trying to make this decision. I know it's not the end-all-be-all and that I have two great opportunities in front of me. I'm leaning toward working b/c I can be a part-time student thru Northwestern's School of Continuing Studies (can probably get in 20 semester hours this year) and I'm going to re-take my MCAT April 2006. So I'd be attempting to fix all my weaknesses in one year. If I go to BU, I'll re-take my MCAT April 2006 but I'd be reapplying with very little clinical experience still.

I think regardless of either decision I make that I have a much better shot at a med school acceptance after 2 years off. My hesitation at going to BU is the cost and the fact that their success rate is in getting students into ANY MD/DO school. It doesn't mean I'd neccessarily get into a top 30-40 school, but just a school (which is fine). I just don't know if I'd end up getting into a better med school thru the BU route than just on my own through work and addt'l undergrad bio classes.

Opinions? Advice? Past experiences? THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

first off, congratulations on what you have accomplished so far :) i know that, myself included, a lot of people would be envious of your options!

IMHO, if you can pull off working and taking upper level science classes concurrently, you should do that. your stats are "slightly below average" but they were good enough to get you interviews right? if you've gotten past the initial screenings with your numbers, an smp may be overkill. If you get some A's while taking PT classes, and retake the mcat, you'll be good to go. judging from your mcat scores, you rocked verbal (congrats!), which is the most difficult to raise-- ps and bs you can raise with review and practice within a matter of weeks.

good luck with everything :)

I think you're better off asking medical school admissions directors (the schools that you're interested in). Oftentimes they'll give you an honest opinion of how to improve your application.

Most importantly, you should ask the schools that didn't accept you.

Keep in mind that if you go to BU MAMS, you can still do research during the second year.

Don't do Loyola. That program is whack.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMHO this is a no brainer. Take the job, improve your BCMP GPA and you shall be granted acceptance. End of story.
:thumbup:

Loyola's definitely out of the question so no worries there. It's whiggity whack, not even regular type. ::Hangs head in shame for quoting Teen Girl Squad from HomeStarrunner:: :laugh:

Oh, Sundarban1, I read on some other thread that you think SMP and undergrad GPAs are avg'ed together on the AMCAS? I know there's a separate post-bacc line but does the SMP fit into that and not graduate work? When I talked to the people at BU, they said it was graduate. I'm confused about that now.

I did call some adcoms today and plan on calling some more right now. The people at BU and Loyola Stritch were really nice and told me I couldn't go wrong with either option. I talked to Dr. Brightman (?) at BU through the MAMS program I believe. He told me it wouldn't hurt to re-take my MCAT and that I definitely need to bring up my science grades. He also said that experience is sometimes worth "its weight in gold." Sweet old man, but he may be biased b/c he trained as a GI doc ;) The only question would be if my academic part-time work was "rigorous" enough. But if I can pull off working full-time from 7-3 and taking at least 2 classes a quarter (~8/year), I would be showing adcoms I'm motivated and capable of the work.

The job has some research opportunity but it's mainly clinical, with me doing procedures on patients a day. I know I can do research after the BU program, but I dunno. I could be making money rather than spending 40-50,000 at BU and still end up at the same place. It's all a guessing game, no? This entire process can be so arbitrary.

Any other advice out there? I gotta make a decision by tomorrow, 7/22.

I would lean toward taking the job in your case as you can get a killer LOR, take classes on the side, make money, and raise your MCAT (aim for all 10's and maintain verbal; you're so close!!) all at the same time. If you do those things, you should be OK, especially since you're from Texas.

Sounds like a fabulous opportunity. Good luck!

I agree with everyone else - I'd say go with the job and take the MCAT over again. It's funny, my application is very similar to yours, numberwise. And, I also went to Northwestern. I've applied before and had interviews but didn't get in. I completed the Georgetown SMP program this year. Even so, I've been told by admissions deans that my numbers, especially coming from Northwestern, are not too much of an admissions deterrant. So, I think you're good to go, especially if you do better on the MCAT. Also, the job opportunity sounds phenominal. Is this guy Dr. Hirano by any chance? I took a dysphagia class at northwestern and he came and gave us an esophagus lecture - it was great. By the way, how did you find out about this position? PM me if you can. I'm actually in the process of looking for a job for the year while I apply. Thanks and best of luck.

Go figure. I have awful luck. I made my decision -- to take the job and be a part-time NU student. I called the doctor today to let him know that I was accepting. He calls me back to tell me that there's now a PROBLEM. The position is technically a hospital one although a lot of research is done through Northwestern Faculty Foundation or something. Two doctors and a hospital mgr get a say in who is hired. Now, I learn some nurse has applied for the job and the hospital mgr is gunning to promote hospital personnel while the docs want me b/c they don't want a nurse in the position. But since it's the hospital who'd be my actual employer, the mgr has the edge. I've now been told that I'll be emailed in the NEXT WEEK OR SO what the status of my application is.

However, I had talked to 5-6 admission counselors as well as 2 college advisers who thought that with my existing numbers, I could just go ahead and work rather than doing an expensive SMP. I don't mind going to BU. I know I couldn't lose anything by doing the SMP. And I still have my spot b/c I'd sent the $200 check before the job interview.

MedStylee - I did meet Dr. Hirano. He works beneath Dr. Kahrilas, who would have been my ultimate boss. Screw my luck! I really wanted this job.

I'll start looking at apts in Boston, registration and whatnot. I just don't know if I should bother looking for another lab gig b/c it'd be hard to come by one this good on such short notice. I don't want to just be another lab rat - hence the attractiveness of this position. What to do. What to do.

Go meet the hospital manager as well as the docs IN PERSON. Don't just talk on the phone. Convince them that you're better suited for the job by being professional, confident, and personable.

Unless you're a complete tool and have horrible personal skills, I don't think it'll hurt to meet them in person..i.e. you have little to lose. If you show them that you really want the job, your visit may just shift the tides your way.

good luck

ATN19 said:
Go figure. I have awful luck. I made my decision -- to take the job and be a part-time NU student. I called the doctor today to let him know that I was accepting. He calls me back to tell me that there's now a PROBLEM. The position is technically a hospital one although a lot of research is done through Northwestern Faculty Foundation or something. Two doctors and a hospital mgr get a say in who is hired. Now, I learn some nurse has applied for the job and the hospital mgr is gunning to promote hospital personnel while the docs want me b/c they don't want a nurse in the position. But since it's the hospital who'd be my actual employer, the mgr has the edge. I've now been told that I'll be emailed in the NEXT WEEK OR SO what the status of my application is.

However, I had talked to 5-6 admission counselors as well as 2 college advisers who thought that with my existing numbers, I could just go ahead and work rather than doing an expensive SMP. I don't mind going to BU. I know I couldn't lose anything by doing the SMP. And I still have my spot b/c I'd sent the $200 check before the job interview.

MedStylee - I did meet Dr. Hirano. He works beneath Dr. Kahrilas, who would have been my ultimate boss. Screw my luck! I really wanted this job.

I'll start looking at apts in Boston, registration and whatnot. I just don't know if I should bother looking for another lab gig b/c it'd be hard to come by one this good on such short notice. I don't want to just be another lab rat - hence the attractiveness of this position. What to do. What to do.

I already had in-person interviews with all 3 of them this week, on Monday actually. I don't think I'm a tool :laugh: But I have no experience while the nurse has been in this GI lab already and is looking to move up. She's also looking to apply to med school now I hear. But thanks for the advice. I'm just emailing the mgr again and letting her know that I'm really really interested. But it's not looking good ..