!SMP Route with 2.87 GPA---PLEASE HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremd2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a cumulative 2.87 from undergrad, bio major, chem minor. I took 153 credits.

I am interested in applying to an smp, maybe evms. My dilemma is that I have A's and B's in the upper and lower science classes. I received a D in biochem and retook for a B in summer (during my undergrad). I received a C in evolution biology but did not retake. I received a D in Physics 2 and retook for a B. Basically during my undergrad, I retook the science classes that I may not have performed well, if I found any.

Other than that, I received D and C in polital and cal 2, also got a C in German class. But my science shows, for example A in molec biology, as well as human phys, B in immun, micro, A and A- in Orgo.

Do i return to undergrad classes and retake the cal 2 and politcal science, to correct?

I took MCAT twice. 07 Sept scored 28P (11ps, 8vr, 9bs). I was applying the 08 cycle and applied to Meharry, but file was under review still, so I thought I would study (did more studying that practice questions) and in jan 08, my score came out 24O (10ps, 6vr, 8bs). Funny thing is that I thought I did really well second time, and first time thought I did horrible.

I realize that I need to score a 30+ before i submit my smp application to evms. I am only concerned with chance of acceptance with the gpa portion of my app.

Basically i volunteered at a county hospital for about 8 months and let me say I wanted to live there, like have a room there and just wake up everyday, so I am in this for the long run.

I really need some solid advice from those who were in similar situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I have found 2 advanced upper courses (for Fall 09) which I have not taken. Maybe if I get 2 A's it will bring to 2.91ish.

Would a jump from 2.87 to 2.91 for applying in fall smp count? or apply jan 1 when grades are out.

I plan on doing more practice questions for mcat over the summer and retake in Jul 30th

Getting admission to an SMP is competitive as well especially since you have a 28 MCAT score. Typically SMP is for candidate with high MCAT and Low GPA and they are taking an SMP to show admission committee that they can do well in a medical school curriculum.
I would suggest getting your GPA to 3.0 if you do not have a 29/30 MCAT or if you do have a >30 MCAT score (after taking the MCAT again) 2.9 is still considered competitive for program such BU Mams where they accept a large number of students. For EVMS it is more competitive since they only have an average of 20 seats per year and they are integrated with the first year medical students.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a Texas resident currently.

I called a school in Texas which accepts a large pool compared to others who take even less. Spoke to an admission counselor and said for me to take advanced biology classes to bring my gpa to at least a 3.0. This was imperative.

She said her school only looks at your highest MCAT score even if it wasn't the latest. She said the 28 was close to the mean that they accept, but that I should get a 33 and with the 3.0, then I will have a chance.

The EVMS SMP is around 31k plus living expenses. I entered my current gpa into a program that calculates how many hours i need to take with As before I get a 3.0/3.01 and it is 20 hours.
I plan on starting this Fall 09 with at least 6 hours, one in neuroscience and another in endocrinology (since I am well versed with hormones from physio.
She said as long as the course is different (different course number) you can take it. she didn't advise me to retake classes i scored low on.
another class I may take is microbial physiology, which I like physiology a lot and got an A in (but it was Human Phys).

maybe about 4 semesters, 6 for now a semester (i'll have to work to continue paying bills of course.)

Everyone's input has been really helpful.

Any advice to add in light of today's?

Not a URM.

What needs fixing is your MCAT and GPA. You're shooting for a 30 and a 3.0 respectively. Living in a county hospital won't help very much.

Are you URM? There are several SMPs that are specifically directed at URMs that might be helpful for you. I know Drexel has a program, for example. You might be able to start this fall.

Finally, have you ruled out DO schools? With all those retakes, they seem like the logical decision.

I am a Texas resident currently.

I called a school in Texas which accepts a large pool compared to others who take even less. Spoke to an admission counselor and said for me to take advanced biology classes to bring my gpa to at least a 3.0. This was imperative.

She said her school only looks at your highest MCAT score even if it wasn't the latest. She said the 28 was close to the mean that they accept, but that I should get a 33 and with the 3.0, then I will have a chance.

The EVMS SMP is around 31k plus living expenses. I entered my current gpa into a program that calculates how many hours i need to take with As before I get a 3.0/3.01 and it is 20 hours.
I plan on starting this Fall 09 with at least 6 hours, one in neuroscience and another in endocrinology (since I am well versed with hormones from physio.
She said as long as the course is different (different course number) you can take it. she didn't advise me to retake classes i scored low on.
another class I may take is microbial physiology, which I like physiology a lot and got an A in (but it was Human Phys).

maybe about 4 semesters, 6 for now a semester (i'll have to work to continue paying bills of course.)

Everyone's input has been really helpful.

Any advice to add in light of today's?

I am confused, what MD school in Texas has an average of 3.0 and a 33 MCAT for their coming student ? and you should also need to consider that the value the he/she is giving you might be the minimum for them to review your application but remember they might not guarantee admission since there might be more competitive applicants fighting for the same spot.

You should also consider that average GPA/MCAT for admissions takes into account URM in their numbers. Therefore if you are not a URM your requirements might be higher and are graded differently.

Also take the information given by the school counselor with a grain of salt and try to be as competitive as possible.

Their avg MCAT was 30 for entering and gpa was 3.8 avg for entering.

My goal is to bring it to 3.0 with the 20 hrs and land a 33+ MCAT. In terms of cost, doing extra classes at undergrad is much more less expensive compared to smp.

The plus side is that Texas residents here are given priority.

I am really hoping that they see my effort to bring in As in the 20 hrs as motivation and strength for med school and with the 33+ MCAT that I can excel at their school and USMLE prospects.

I am confused, what MD school in Texas has an average of 3.0 and a 33 MCAT for their coming student ? and you should also need to consider that the value the he/she is giving you might be the minimum for them to review your application but remember they might not guarantee admission since there might be more competitive applicants fighting for the same spot.

You should also consider that average GPA/MCAT for admissions takes into account URM in their numbers. Therefore if you are not a URM your requirements might be higher and are graded differently.

Also take the information given by the school counselor with a grain of salt and try to be as competitive as possible.