(SMP) Mississippi College MS vs. Midwestern MA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElliotTXMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was just accepted into Mississippi College MS program for the fall semester, still waiting on Midwestern. Anyone have any advice one way or the other?

Texas resident and plan to attend medical school in Texas.
29MCAT
2.97cGPA
3.6sGPA
Non traditional student, just finished up all my prerequisites + a few more.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, Bumping for clarity. I'm not sure as to the worth of one vs the other seeing as ill be applying in a different state from either when it comes to med school. Anyone with information on either would be greatly appreciated.

Worth noting, I would prefer to live in Glendale and go to school at the larger Midwestern campus over small town Mississippi college.

The MC MS program seems much tougher and would probably better prepare me for the rigors of medical school, however I need to get there first. Would med schools see the MS as being any better or more worthwhile than the MA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply to this Texas SMP program?

http://web.unthsc.edu/info/20004/gr.../master_of_science_degree_in_medical_sciences

You might have a shot at the Texas DO program without the SMP. You are above their 2013 mean for sGPA and MCAT.

Unfortunately no, I didn't take my MCAT until the 22nd of march and the deadline for materials was mid march. That would have been an ideal program though.

In regards to the DO program, I do feel I have a shot as well, however id really like to try my hand at MD before going for DO, if anything just for the potential difference when it comes to finding a residency. That being said, I am applying to all of the Texas schools this cycle. Who knows, I may get lucky plus I'm retaking my MCAT in a few weeks.

MC has a list of alumni and where they ended up matriculating, found here: http://www.mc.edu/academics/departments/biology/graduates/past-graduates/2012-graduates/

Break down the admissions numbers: 3 graduates from 2012 matriculated to Texas med schools (2013 results aren't posted, likely due to c/o 2013's gap year not being up yet), plus another to a Texas MS Epidemiology program. 26 matriculated to UMMC, which is unavailable to you as a TX resident. There's also 3 matriculants to Caribbean schools and 21 matriculants to DO schools in the class of 2012, so there's that. I'll estimate about 10 graduates (out of the ~80 that sought med school admission) matriculated to MD schools outside of MS/LA. That doesn't inspire confidence in me, especially without knowing the circumstances of those TX matriculants. Those in-state admission numbers are fantastic for MS residents, though.

I'm not as familiar with Midwestern, but I don't think a DO-affiliated SMP is the best choice for someone seeking MD admission. Maybe someone else knows something that I don't about that.

If I absolutely had to choose one, I'd go with MC over Midwestern. Just be aware that both programs carry quite a hefty amount of risk for your money/time.

From what I can tell, the MD or DO aspect (or non at all) of SMP programs probably isn't a huge deal in Texas. The only one we have here is at a DO school and it comes highly recommended by all of the medical schools here, though this could be by virtue of it being in state more than anything related to DO etc. If MC isn't even affiliated with a medical program DO or otherwise, I don't feel that it matters much in regards to Midwestern being one, though like you said, its hard t tell about the relative value of that from this vantage point.

I guess the biggest overall problem for me is the atmosphere. I know it shouldn't matter but living in Glendale seems infinitely better than living in small town Clinton. At the end of the day it will boil down to what is the best program for helping me to get where I need to be. If it really doesn't matter (after all, they serve the same purpose) id rather be somewhere I would like to live. Admittedly I don't have any direct experience with either place so this could change when I go visit.

Also worth noting, the MA of Midwestern vs. The MS of MC is mildly irritating. Again, I'm not sure if it matters because they both serve the purpose of being preparatory but it is something.

Hey everyone! I was just accepted into Mississippi College MS program for the fall semester, still waiting on Midwestern. Anyone have any advice one way or the other?

Texas resident and plan to attend medical school in Texas.
29MCAT
2.97cGPA
3.6sGPA
Non traditional student, just finished up all my prerequisites + a few more.

hey there! where did you end up going? i have applied to MC MS program as well. because MC isnt a well known program i am a little worried.

hey there! where did you end up going? i have applied to MC MS program as well. because MC isnt a well known program i am a little worried.

Ended up at Midwestern AZ.

I highly recommend it, they treat us well and there is a very strong connection with the DO school here and in Midwestern Chicago. Minimum 3.0 in the program and within 2 stdev of the mean MCAT and you are guaranteed an interview (NOTE: interview, not admission). Further, i really enjoy Arizona, specifically Glendale.

The bad:
the program is hard. Honestly, undergrad doesn't prepare you at all for what you're gonna face in this program. Its just different, that being said its very possible to do very well.

The competition is rough, which means the class averages are typically high, granted a good portion of my classmates are dental so you aren't in direct competition.

If you have any questions about the program feel free to ask.

Reactions: 1 user