SMP 1 year: Eastern Virginia or Utoledo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was recently accepted to both the EVMS 1 year medical masters and the MSBS at Utoledo.

I am a senior finishing college, with an undergrad gpa of 3.35/3.4 (depending on how the year finishes) and an MCAT of 507.
I have 500+ shadowing hours, tons of research experience, was in special program for undergrad, good community service experience, and good leadership experience by starting a club in undergrad.

Which program do you think is a better fit for me and why?
I know of two people personally who did the MSBS at Utoledo. One is an ER physician while the other is a Cardiologist.

I know UToledo has a decent matriculation rate with a focus on research. But, Virginia is a better location for me as it is closer to my friends/family.

Any thoughts/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hope everyone is doing well during this difficult time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think you’d go wrong with either. But from my research on EVMS is that they won’t interview you until December and you won’t find out if you got in until May. Everything I’ve heard from the school though is nothing but positive.

Just a thought to put out there when making a decision. I’m sure you can get in elsewhere with EVMS; but you may not have luck if you’re trying to apply during your SMP year.

I don't know much about Utoledo's program (and I may be a bit biased since I'm currently doing the SMP at EVMS), but I think you should go with EVMS. It's a great program! You're essentially an M1 as you take the same classes they do, minus the clinical skills portion. I think that will help address your current gpa and prove you can handle the rigor of medical school. If you're very passionate about community service, this school would be a good fit for you. Furthermore, the faculty really care about their students here and that makes a big difference not only in the quality of the program, but in your overall success as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your response! How many medical schools did you or your classmates apply to? I know many medical schools don't consider students currently enrolled in an SMP at the time of their application.
Did most everyone who deserved to get into EVMS med get in? Meaning, were there any surprises to you? The 50% matriculation rate sort of scares me.

Thank you so much for your response! How many medical schools did you or your classmates apply to? I know many medical schools don't consider students currently enrolled in an SMP at the time of their application.
Did most everyone who deserved to get into EVMS med get in? Meaning, were there any surprises to you? The 50% matriculation rate sort of scares me.

I'm in the 2 year program and currently applying to medical schools. I was told to apply to 10-15 schools. In talking to previous Med Masters who are currently medical students at EVMS I can tell you that if you put your best foot forward during the program, you should have no problem getting into medical school (including EVMS). Your grades during the program will play a big role in getting accepted to EVMS.

It is true that some schools won't consider you until you finish the SMP. I would just call the schools you're interested in and see if this is the case for them. Lastly, I'm not sure about the 50% matriculation rate. I think you should email the Medical Masters Department and ask for clarification on that. They are very friendly!

If you have any questions about what it's like to live in Norfolk, what the classes are like, etc please feel free to PM me!

Last edited:
hey OP, im also torn between Toledo and EVMS-- my EVMS app was marked as completed today, and i got in to Toledo a while ago. Same situation as you in that EVMS is a bit closer to me, but both seem like great programs. Would love to chat more with you about this if you want to PM :)

I'm in the 2 year program and currently applying to medical schools. I was told to apply to 10-15 schools. In talking to previous Med Masters who are currently medical students at EVMS I can tell you that if you put your best foot forward during the program, you should have no problem getting into medical school (including EVMS). Your grades during the program will play a big role in getting accepted to EVMS.

It is true that some schools won't consider you until you finish the SMP. I would just call the schools you're interested in and see if this is the case for them. Lastly, I'm not sure about the 50% matriculation rate. I think you should email the Medical Masters Department and ask for clarification on that. They are very friendly!

If you have any questions about what it's like to live in Norfolk, what the classes are like, etc please feel free to PM me!
Hi @medulla_oblongata sorry i'm creeping on the forums lol. I wanted to DM you about the EVMS program but your profile settings won't let me. Would you mind DMing me? I would love to ask a previous student some questions :) thank you!